36 Hours From Hell

If Butch is going to turn this ship around, win championships, and keep players academically qualified, he has to make sure they go to class and pass the drug tests. He has shown he is willing to take some short term hits to improve the program long term. He has developed some team leaders such as Maggitt and JRM to get the immature and hard headed kids in line. He lost some players last year who had great potential (Helm and Hendrix) who couldn't take the heat and I hope he weeds out more who do not get with the program even though it hurts in the short term. If Martin wants to smoke weed, he probably won't pass drug tests and will be gone before he finishes his career. It's in his hands.

Reactions: 1 person
258852d1395962050t-lets-stop-hurting-blackberry-triple_facepalm.png
  • Tuesday midday -- 104.5 FM in Nashville reports Devaun Swafford's football career is ended due to medical condition (rumor says head/neck injury from TaxSlayer Bowl now assessed too dangerous to continue playing); will stay on as player-coach
  • Tuesday afternoon -- Jimmy Hyams reports Jocquez Bruce suspended for "not applying self off the field" (skipping class is common assumption)
  • early Wednesday morning -- WBIR.com reports Charles Mosley arrested for reckless driving & DUI (marijuana)
  • Wednesday
    evening -- VN's Bob Mueller reports Justin Martin got in heated exchange with Coach Jones during team meeting, might be gone from program (given release papers, but situation not yet 100% irreversible)
Set Devaun Swafford's injury aside -- it is hugely unfortunate but not at all a part of the rest of this post.

Which is about this question: is Coach Jones facing a mini-mutiny from the younger members of the program?

Butch notably mentioned in a recent press interview that 64% of the team's players have been in the program a year or less. Bruce, Mosley and Martin all fit that demographic. Behaviors are difficult to change. Even more difficult and deeper in our personalities are our beliefs and attitudes. Deepest of all are our core values. Are we seeing an eruption from a clash in values?

Joining a program with a culture of discipline and commitment to something bigger than yourself, as Butch demands, can be a very big culture shock. It can take months or years for a person, a football player, to fully internalize the values of the new culture they've joined. It would not be surprising if some newer players railed against all the restrictions and demands. To the contrary, it would be surprising if none ever did protest or act out.

Is that what we're seeing in these 36 Hours from Hell? A culture clash between a coach who demands much of his charges, and a handful of newer players? It seems so. The big question, perhaps, is...are any of them related? Particularly the Bruce and Martin cases.

Individuals acting out is one thing. Players grouping up to complain and rally each other's resentments, that's a whole 'nother animal. I hope there's none of the latter going on.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all this. Just thinking out loud. Only thing for sure is, this has to go down as one of the less pleasent 36 hour periods in Butch's tenure thus far. Behind maybe only last year's Florida game.

My prayers are with the team, and my support 100% behind the coaches. Players need to man up.

If Butch is going to turn this ship around, win championships, and keep players academically qualified, he has to make sure they go to class and pass the drug tests. He has shown he is willing to take some short term hits to improve the program long term. He has developed some team leaders such as Maggitt and JRM to get the immature and hard headed kids in line. He lost some players last year who had great potential (Helm and Hendrix) who couldn't take the heat and I hope he weeds out more who do not get with the program even though it hurts in the short term. If Martin wants to smoke weed, he probably won't pass drug tests and will be gone before he finishes his career. It's in his hands.

Wait what? Is Martin also smoking weed? I thought he just talked back to Butch?

JP: Good thought provoking post. Is there a big issue? Who knows? Nobody seems to have any information other than you were too emotional when you posted this. I did see one post that said the martin thing was "no big deal"...but release papers were signed, so that seems like a big deal to me.

You will see that ButchNA will slap you down if you dare question anything about Butch Jones.

I will go on record saying that I was wrong about Butch Jones with regard to his ability to recruit. He has done an outstanding job...but that is only the beginning. Once he gets his players they are still HIS responsibility. CBJ must keep them under control. I keep seeing posts that say "ah stupid kids being stupid" or "it happens everywhere". I think that is unacceptable. CBJ has to show he can develop these players and that includes ensuring they follow the rules...ALL of the rules. As I have mentioned, this is the year we will know what kind of coach CBJ will be for us. I will also go on record and state I am rooting for CBJ to succeed and stay our coach for 15+ years.

Is there a mutiny? I doubt it, but JP, your post really made me think.

Reactions: 3 people
JP: Good thought provoking post. Is there a big issue? Who knows? Nobody seems to have any information other than you were too emotional when you posted this. I did see one post that said the martin thing was "no big deal"...but release papers were signed, so that seems like a big deal to me.

Thanks, Tall_Guy. Tbh, the only emotion I felt when I was writing the OP was curiosity. I wasn't upset at all, and find it weird that some folks read it that way. *shrug* I just see three dots written on a piece of paper in quick succession, and wonder if there's a line connecting any of them. Wonder if there is import to the program beyond the immediate and obvious.

I guess some people read it as me trying to write a Harlequin dime store novel, playing up the drama. That's not my intent at all. I'm just looking for trends and possible warning signals.

After 26 years of thinking of groups of individuals as coherent beings in their own right to be understood and led, I guess it's just a part of me now.

*shrug* I don't mind people's amusing/insulting gifs, especially enjoyed the one about But It's a Conspiracy ... just don't think the folks shaking their heads understand group dynamics well enough to wonder at the possibilities the way I do. And that you are.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, good to see some folks understand the intent of the OP.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Can't believe that Moseley had a significant injury in a car accident last year, then gets a DUI!!! One has to question his ability to learn.

• Tuesday midday -- 104.5 FM in Nashville reports Devaun Swafford's football career is ended due to medical condition (rumor says head/neck injury from TaxSlayer Bowl now assessed too dangerous to continue playing); will stay on as player-coach
  • Tuesday afternoon -- Jimmy Hyams reports Jocquez Bruce suspended for "not applying self off the field" (skipping class is common assumption)
  • early Wednesday morning -- WBIR.com reports Charles Mosley arrested for reckless driving & DUI (marijuana)
  • Wednesday evening -- VN's Bob Mueller reports Justin Martin got in heated exchange with Coach Jones during team meeting, might be gone from program (given release papers, but situation not yet 100% irreversible)
Set Devaun Swafford's injury aside -- it is hugely unfortunate but not at all a part of the rest of this post.

Which is about this question: is Coach Jones facing a mini-mutiny from the younger members of the program?

Butch notably mentioned in a recent press interview that 64% of the team's players have been in the program a year or less. Bruce, Mosley and Martin all fit that demographic. Behaviors are difficult to change. Even more difficult and deeper in our personalities are our beliefs and attitudes. Deepest of all are our core values. Are we seeing an eruption from a clash in values?

Joining a program with a culture of discipline and commitment to something bigger than yourself, as Butch demands, can be a very big culture shock. It can take months or years for a person, a football player, to fully internalize the values of the new culture they've joined. It would not be surprising if some newer players railed against all the restrictions and demands. To the contrary, it would be surprising if none ever did protest or act out.

Is that what we're seeing in these 36 Hours from Hell? A culture clash between a coach who demands much of his charges, and a handful of newer players? It seems so. The big question, perhaps, is...are any of them related? Particularly the Bruce and Martin cases.

Individuals acting out is one thing. Players grouping up to complain and rally each other's resentments, that's a whole 'nother animal. I hope there's none of the latter going on.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all this. Just thinking out loud. Only thing for sure is, this has to go down as one of the less pleasent 36 hour periods in Butch's tenure thus far. Behind maybe only last year's Florida game.

My prayers are with the team, and my support 100% behind the coaches. Players need to man up.

What you are describing is nothing more than has went on in college football programs for years and years. People need to not be overly concerned with what has happened.

Players are constantly in programs transferring, getting booted, getting suspended and these various other things go on everywhere. They have gone on in programs since football began.

This is nothing unique to Tennessee or something new to Tennessee.

In the middle of the 1990 season 3 football players were accused of rape in Gibbs Hall. they were suspended..

two weeks prior to that incident, 4 UT players confronted another student because he was arguing with one of the players girl friend. One player slugged the person and broke his jaw.

This was on a team capable of competing for a championship. These things happen and have always happened. Years ago, there was no internet and social media for these things to be talked about within minutes of happening.

I would not be too concerned. Things are going to happen. Players will get dismissed. Players will leave. Players will break rules. Players will break laws. Many times you may not even be aware of these incidences but more than 25 years ago.

I am the Manager of 18 mechanics. Testosterone overload. Can you imagine being in charge of 100+ athletes and coaches, pumped on steroids?

I rest my case.

I am the Manager of 18 mechanics. Testosterone overload. Can you imagine being in charge of 100+ athletes and coaches, pumped on steroids?

I rest my case.

Yep, having commanded two different companies of 125-135 soldiers (as well as other units at the platoon, battalion, and brigade levels over the years) I can definitely imagine it. :salute:

There were 5000 fans skulking around on VN with daggers in their teeth waiting to toss Butch into the Tennessee River.

Volnation after the Florida game last year. Lol

Seriously though, did everybody get their man periods yesterday?

OP, a great poster imo, made a valid fan observation and you all have a mini melt down?

Fall camp is around the corner and then it's TIME!

GBO!!!

It's funny how it's always the players' faults, never the coaches...until we get a new coach, and then it's "We don't have the kind of disruptions, arrests, and players leaving like we had with that last guy."

Yep, having commanded two different companies of 125-135 soldiers (as well as other units at the platoon, battalion, and brigade levels over the years) I can definitely imagine it. :salute:

These are events that create "Team Building/Bonding" opportunities. :)

These are events that create "Team Building/Bonding" opportunities. :)

Yeah And, thankfully, that sounds like the direction this week's events have taken (based on Martin's recent tweet). Hoping the team chemistry continues to go in powerfully positive direction. :good!:

Thanks for the kind words, Malinois. :salute:

Nothing against you, JP, but I think we can finally shut down the "36 Hours From Hell" thread...thank God. Everything seems to be ok for the time being.

It's funny how it's always the players' faults, never the coaches...until we get a new coach, and then it's "We don't have the kind of disruptions, arrests, and players leaving like we had with that last guy."

Speaking of "funny"...why are you in shorter supply the better things get? :lol:

Nothing against you, JP, but I think we can finally shut down the "36 Hours From Hell" thread...thank God. Everything seems to be ok for the time being.

Heh, 08, I'm in complete agreement. Ready for the timer to run out on "36 Hours." I will never again use the phrase "mini-mutiny" on VN unless actual no-s&*t pirates are involved. :)

I sure would like to know exactly what Martin took umbrage to. And what was said.

Sometimes leaders need an example, and sometimes those examples present them selves, and sometimes those examples are willing participant. Sometimes...

Last edited:
Can't believe that Moseley had a significant injury in a car accident last year, then gets a DUI!!! One has to question his ability to learn.

Kids will be kids and some will get caught doing what they are not supposed to do and some will get away with said infraction. If your going to do dumb kid things, don't get caught, dummy!

VN Store

Back