Our defensive line gets pushed around like rag dolls!

rockydoc

Watched Kentucky vs Florida and they stuffed the run. Had a 350# nose tackle who had to go out for a play or two and was replaced by a 360 pounder (From Tennessee, BTW). They couldn't do much else but stop the run, which is priority one for a defense. Meanwhile, on the last BYU TD, Solomon and company were pushed five yards back into the end zone after initial contact. Until we get the D-line fixed,or recruited over, we will be mediocre at best on defense.

Agreed. D-Line looks awful. Nothing new there. Problem is Rocker is not a great recruiter. Guy with his pedigree of playing success should be getting anyone he wants. But for some reason the top recruits just do come to him. That's why he got fired from Georgia. With the way the Vols recruit OL seems like they could at least be comparable on the other side of the ball.

Reactions: BreatheUT and Alto1
Watched Kentucky vs Florida and they stuffed the run. Had a 350# nose tackle who had to go out for a play or two and was replaced by a 360 pounder (From Tennessee, BTW). They couldn't do much else but stop the run, which is priority one for a defense. Meanwhile, on the last BYU TD, Solomon and company were pushed five yards back into the end zone after initial contact. Until we get the D-line fixed,or recruited over, we will be mediocre at best on defense.

this isn't true. Kentucky ran the ball pretty well. Smoke averaged over 5 yards a carry (KY had roughly 140 yds on the ground). On the flip side, aside from the long run at the end of the game by Florida, they couldn't move the ball on the ground against KY. Perine averaged under 2 yds a carry. Not saying we run well, but Florida is the team that got handled on the LOS in that game.

this isn't true. Kentucky ran the ball pretty well. Smoke averaged over 5 yards a carry (KY had roughly 140 yds on the ground). On the flip side, aside from the long run at the end of the game by Florida, they couldn't move the ball on the ground against KY. Perine averaged under 2 yds a carry. Not saying we run well, but Florida is the team that got handled on the LOS in that game.
It's almost as if OP doesn't understand that one play doesn't define a team and totally failed to look at the numbers both for our game against BYU and the UK-UF game.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I think they're actually getting better.

giphy.gif

I think you are overstating the rag doll comment, many times it is just technique that gets the better of a 300+ pound DL. Their getting better, just be patient.

I don't know if it is me looking for something to complain about or if it is a real observation but in all three games so far I've noticed (at least I think I noticed) the first move the D line makes is not forward but straight up. I'm not a physics professor but I do know you cant push forward while standing straight up. Correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
BYU rushed for under 100yds in regulation. If we were getting pushed 5yds off the ball every play wouldn't that be higher?
The most sickening thing about BYU is the that with :30 to go, we had held them to 13 points and about 220 yards of offense.

Reactions: BreatheUT
BYU rushed for under 100yds in regulation. If we were getting pushed 5yds off the ball every play wouldn't that be higher?
Yea but some don’t let facts get in the way of a good post.

Honestly, I think they just ran out of gas at the end. A byproduct of little to no depth.

Rag dolls? I don't think so. We have one key player injured and out for the season. We are in first year of true recruiting and rebuilding. The players are working hard with a lot of pressure and expectations from fans. Give them some time. We passed on Mullen, Miles, and several other well respected and accomplished head coaches now we got what we got. I believe CJP will build a solid SEC and NCAA contender but, probably a couple year from now before that team takes the field.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I can't believe BYU went out and put it on USC also. Must have undoubtedly gained some confidence by winning here. That's what UT needs more than anything is a big confidence booster. I actually do feel UT is better than we think on defense anyway. If JG can get past the deer in the headlights dogma our offense would be a lot better too.

VN Store

Back