3 Under the Radar DC options

VolNGA1

First off, the past 2 days have returned to the circus reporting of the level we had during the Head coach search 3 years ago. It seems as if all the leaked info is coming out of OH. I'll have to agree with AD DW that we are better off doing our business in a fairly clandestine manner, rather than have the local Knoxville yokels throwing out any and everything they can link to a "linked nugget" of some sort. I seriously doubt Washington leaves OSU. Which leads to my next thought.

3 guys that I see as DC's that have been successful at lower-tier programs:

Gillespie - Tulsa
Reeves - UAB
Watts - Fresno St.

The thing that stands out to me is these guys have done well in leagues that are more offensive focused. And they have done well at schools that haven't been top of their league's programs in the past. That probably says they are playing with equal or less talent, and coaching them up to be successful. As bad as our defense looked last year, there is no doubt that our players would benefit from a fresh start on basic techniques.

Where these guys would probably be lacking is on recruiting at the Power 5 level. It would probably take a couple of years for them to prove themselves to really make headway on the recruiting front. To that, you'd hope some of the position coaches could step up in that role. But what kind of assistants would work for an up-and-comer?

I know these guys don't fit the big name, homerun hire that people were hoping for. But realistically, we just need to instill some basic skills back onto the defensive side of the ball at this time. There were just too many times that our guys weren't lined up properly, or even seemed that they knew what their assignment was. In 3 years, I never really knew what our outside LB/Rush end players were doing? They never seemed to cover backs in the flat, maintain outside leverage on outside runs, or generate much pressure on the passer.

I'll hope that whenever we get an announcement of our coaches, we'll have some stability and can begin the rebuilding process.

A very good list, first two I know, don’t know the resume of the third but hiring either of the first two would be Very Solid hire.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
David Reeves enters his fourth season as defensive coordinator and his fifth season overall at UAB.

A two-time Broyles Award nominee, Reeves’ unit has been one of the most disruptive defenses in the country over the past two years. In 2018, the Blazers finished ninth nationally in total defense and in 2019 moved up one spot to finish eighth.

Over the past two seasons, UAB has been among the nation’s best in getting to the quarterback, compiling 92 total sacks and 217 tackles for loss. Additionally, UAB has been able to get off the field when it counted the most, finished No. 2 nationally in third down defense in 2018 and No. 3 in 2019.

My major concern with any of the guys on the list is their ability to put together an SEC level staff. That would have to be part of the session with CJH.
No doubt about it. But the guy has done more with less his entire career. And right now UT needs that more than ever with the NCAA sanctions looming and the transfer portal claiming so many of our guys. Recruiting has literally never been more important than it is right now at UT, and that's saying a whole helluva lot.

I’m good with these three ad DC. Just hope we can get it done sooner vs later. The UAB coach probably understands SEC level football better.

First off, the past 2 days have returned to the circus reporting of the level we had during the Head coach search 3 years ago. It seems as if all the leaked info is coming out of OH. I'll have to agree with AD DW that we are better off doing our business in a fairly clandestine manner, rather than have the local Knoxville yokels throwing out any and everything they can link to a "linked nugget" of some sort. I seriously doubt Washington leaves OSU. Which leads to my next thought.

Gillespie - Tulsa
Reeves - UAB
Watts - Fresno St.

The thing that stands out to me is these guys have done well in leagues that are more offensive focused. And they have done well at schools that haven't been top of their league's programs in the past. That probably says they are playing with equal or less talent, and coaching them up to be successful. As bad as our defense looked last year, there is no doubt that our players would benefit from a fresh start on basic techniques.

Where these guys would probably be lacking is on recruiting at the Power 5 level. It would probably take a couple of years for them to prove themselves to really make headway on the recruiting front. To that, you'd hope some of the position coaches could step up in that role. But what kind of assistants would work for an up-and-comer?

I know these guys don't fit the big name, homerun hire that people were hoping for. But realistically, we just need to instill some basic skills back onto the defensive side of the ball at this time. There were just too many times that our guys weren't lined up properly, or even seemed that they knew what their assignment was. In 3 years, I never really knew what our outside LB/Rush end players were doing? They never seemed to cover backs in the flat, maintain outside leverage on outside runs, or generate much pressure on the passer.

I'll hope that whenever we get an announcement of our coaches, we'll have some stability and can begin the rebuilding process.
Well written. If Washington stays put, hopefully DW and JH have these guys on their short list.

Gillespie - Tulsa
Reeves - UAB
Watts - Fresno St.

It would be interesting to know if any of these 3 had been contacted to gauge their interest. Just like the HC search, there probably have been a lot of candidates contacted. As we have seen, most are just not interested.

My thing is....if you want competitors as players, then you need competitors as coaches.

In my mind, if Washington is a competitor then he WANTS to take on a challenge and go up against the best.

If he isn't in the boat by now, after what we are offering, then I don't know he is the competitor we need.

VN Store

Back