3 things can salvage the season

LAVol1

(1) Vescovi needs to take care of the ball and improve defensively (this would add 10+ pts. per game to the score differential)
(2) Pons needs to kick it up a notch. It's there. He just needs to get the confidence to play at a higher level offensively--explode to the hoop more.
(3) Bowden needs to play the role of 6th man. He's much better off the bench for some reason. It is his identity.

Last edited:
My opinion may not even be as good as yours....I’m often wrong; however Bowden is better than anything else on the bench. Bowden has shown in the past he can be a good player while starting, and he has shown that this year......he also showed in this game he can still play.....and is still deserving of a starting role.

Vescovi is a couple weeks in, he will get better.....but his turnovers may take some time....but he is a shooter and he really good off the ball.

Pons has turned into a really good player.....pretty much to most consistent on the team......not sure how much “more” he can give....”right now.”

If Johnson can give minutes like he did tonight that will help tremendously.

Hopefully Gaines and Olivier will improve over the course of the season.....especially if Tennessee (everyone else) can improve.

Tennessee is not a banging team....this year they are a shooting team.....they simply need to hit shots and get their defense back.....as much as they can (without Turner).

Bowden played all 40 minutes, tonight. He will start every game and average 35 minutes per, for the rest of the season. I don't necessarily disagree with Bowden coming off the bench after a couple of minutes, but it's not happening

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Vescovi should shoot Technical FT’s instead of Bowden. Dude has ice water in his veins
I am an old man (not really), and I'm ready to start a Vescovi fan club. This guy's like, unconscious. He's like, 'put me in coach '. Then he starts draining threes and completely tuning out the world on free throws. I know this team won't match last year, but I really like these guys...J3, Bowden, Fulky, Pons, Vescovi, JJ, and the rest. Bringing along Pember and Kamwah (did I spell that right...lol). Very interesting to watch them gel.

I am an old man (not really), and I'm ready to start a Vescovi fan club. This guy's like, unconscious. He's like, 'put me in coach '. Then he starts draining threes and completely tuning out the world on free throws. I know this team won't match last year, but I really like these guys...J3, Bowden, Fulky, Pons, Vescovi, JJ, and the rest. Bringing along Pember and Kamwah (did I spell that right...lol). Very interesting to watch them gel.
There's an N in there.

(1) Vescovi needs to take care of the ball and improve defensively (this would add 10+ pts. per game to the score differential)
(2) Pons needs to kick it up a notch. It's there. He just needs to get the confidence to play at a higher level offensively--explode to the hoop more.
(3) Bowden needs to play the roll of 6th man. He's much better off the bench for some reason. It is his identity.

I got your roll right here:

roll.jpg

Johnson can be the 6th man and provide an offensive spark like he did tonight.

ORN and Pember are the 2 main bigs that need to gain consistency.

Reactions: JoAllan
If we can get efficient scoring out of the guard positions we'll win more than we lose the rest of the season. Versus LSU 36 points on 37 shots, Missouri 36 points on 23 shot attempts. Turnovers certainly a concern and we only win last night because we scored 69 points on 43 shots attempts because turnovers allowed them to get 54 shot attempts 11 more but they couldn't take advantage in this game. Someone will if we have that many turnovers going forward and seriously doubt we'll be as efficient in scoring as we were in this game in very many games going forward.

in my opinion there's no need to 'salvage' the season. I approached this basketball year as a rebuilding year from the start. yeah, we had a couple upsets early on and the outlook was a bit brighter momentarily. but from here, I just hope for development from the younger guys, improvement in playing as a team, and 2 guys to step into leadership roles that can carry over to next year when things will start hotting up.

(3) Bowden needs to play the roll of 6th man. He's much better off the bench for some reason. It is his identity.
Don't disagree. Need as many set plays for Vescovi as possible. Don't know what his % is from 3's, but he's money. Peel back on turn overs, and figure out how to get our mojo back on D. We're not going to win too many on scoring contests. Pons is right where he needs to be, and think Bowden just needs to keep shooting...signs of coming out of it. I'd keep throwing more on JJJ...knowing there's growing pains, but just like KY w/ their top level guys, by the time tourney time comes around, you'd like to hope he's embraced a bigger role in taking control on offense. If he and Vescovi can do this, Bowden thrives better not having to be "the guy". We'll have issues all season in post, for lack of a real "go to" guy...Fulk gives his all, for sure, but can be a bit frustrating at times, but always gives high effort. Not sure how we're going to get to 18-19ish wins for tourney threshold, but hope they can

it was Mizzou, but a win is a win...things gonna get a little tougher...21 TO's is so unsettling...team fought hard all the way...believe they'll get better as they go...bunch of scrappers....:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

in my opinion there's no need to 'salvage' the season. I approached this basketball year as a rebuilding year from the start. yeah, we had a couple upsets early on and the outlook was a bit brighter momentarily. but from here, I just hope for development from the younger guys, improvement in playing as a team, and 2 guys to step into leadership roles that can carry over to next year when things will start hotting up.
Have to hope our young men don't share that attitude. If everyone thought like that where would the buster douglases and tom Bradies come from?

AND, our 5 star needs to get some Hustle and Urgency.

He's just that kind of smooth and controlled player. I doubt that changes a lot. Similar to Allan Houston. Just not emotional and up/down much. I would like to see him get that "urgency" to attack the rim regularly tho. Lefties are a flat out pain to defend going to the rack, especially for defenders facing them for 1 game. We need slashers and JJJ has the skill, just not the want to right now.

Don't disagree. Need as many set plays for Vescovi as possible. Don't know what his % is from 3's, but he's money. Peel back on turn overs, and figure out how to get our mojo back on D. We're not going to win too many on scoring contests. Pons is right where he needs to be, and think Bowden just needs to keep shooting...signs of coming out of it. I'd keep throwing more on JJJ...knowing there's growing pains, but just like KY w/ their top level guys, by the time tourney time comes around, you'd like to hope he's embraced a bigger role in taking control on offense. If he and Vescovi can do this, Bowden thrives better not having to be "the guy". We'll have issues all season in post, for lack of a real "go to" guy...Fulk gives his all, for sure, but can be a bit frustrating at times, but always gives high effort. Not sure how we're going to get to 18-19ish wins for tourney threshold, but hope they can
The center position is our weak link for sure. This may seem like a knock on Fulky but he just simply isn't a center and is forced into that role. He plays hard and gets a few things done but we need someone that rim protects, rebounds, and uses their body to control the lane. He does none of these things well. His rebound rate is atrocious for a center. We have guards with more rebounds playing fewer minutes. ON literally provides nothing. He is strictly a developmental prospect who should be redshirting but is forced to play.

COACH ALWAYS SAID IF YOU SOMEONE TURNS THE BALL OVER HE DOESN'T HANDLE IT. JUST LET HIM SHOOT. WILL FREE UP INSIDE. CALL HIM SET SHOT SCOVI

Bowden needs to start and be the team leader. He is the best player.
No doubt he is the most talented player on the team, but he doesn’t want to be the team leader and has demonstrated zero qualities of someone who can lead a team. He is just most comfortable being in the background. Nothing wrong with that. Some people are leaders and others aren’t. You have to have both chiefs and Indians. Bowden just isn’t a chief.

VN Store

Back