3 players transferring from SC

I totally agree that they should I just hope someday we'll get a scholarship reduction so teams can't load up players because 15 will never play. 12 is a good total and even if you have three transfers it doesn't make your percentage look so bad. 64 percent looks really terrible.

Why is Tea leaving any info.
I am not sure. That was a bigger surprise than Harrigan. The guards are plentiful...they were this year. It was just last year that everyone was complaining about South Carolina getting so many "in" transfers....I think it's more of a "tit for tat" when players see the handwriting on the wall. Cooper always seemed to want to be "top dog" and she never seemed to reach that level at Tennessee or South Carolina. She's a great player..I am not sure what the other issues are. There are 5 potential starters coming in so that may have been the reason for so many transfers. This is a class of historic potential according to everyone who covers WBB.

This makes it more confusing..... In her lone season, Cooper averaged 11.9 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game in 30 appearances and 28 starts for the Gamecocks. After South Carolina lost in the Sweet 16 to Baylor, Cooper was asked if she would return for her redshirt senior season and responded, “Absolutely.”

Last edited:
Even if it were possible for Cooper to return, pursuing her now would smack of desperation. That would be a terrible look for a new coaching staff.

Develop the talented players we have, and look for talent abroad if necessary like Auriemma just did.

Whether you believe it or not, there are some of us on this site that are always VOls first; but SEC second and what happens to one of us happens to reflect on all of us in one way or the other. Believe it or not, the success or failure of the SEC is reflected in every member school. We are thought to be "the football conference" we seem to get the lion's share of the best players. There was a time we weren't considered much of a basketball conference, this has changed, we know seem to get, at least, our share of good players. So it goes with most sports. Being pro SEC matters.

I know many feel this way, but I don’t. The Vols compete with Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn and all the other SEC teams for top players. I love it when those teams lose. I refuse to feel good when Alabama wins a national championship while we have a losing record. I would prefer that they all have losing records while we win the national championship. This may place me in the minority, but I will never understand why a UT fan will bask in the glory of Alabama winning a championship in football or Kentucky winning one in basketball.

I know many feel this way, but I don’t. The Vols compete with Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn and all the other SEC teams for top players. I love it when those teams lose. I refuse to feel good when Alabama wins a national championship while we have a losing record. I would prefer that they all have losing records while we win the national championship. This may place me in the minority, but I will never understand why a UT fan will bask in the glory of Alabama winning a championship in football or Kentucky winning one in basketball.

I do not "bask in the glory of any of the other SEC "teams" winning games. I bask (if you want to call it that) in the satisfaction of a SEC win. It makes no difference what sport, men's or women's, it could be band, tiddlywinks, to debate, to any overall school ratings. I am UT VOL first, and SEC second. (for that matter, any southern school)

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I do not "bask in the glory of any of the other SEC "teams" winning games. I bask (if you want to call it that) in the satisfaction of a SEC win. It makes no difference what sport, men's or women's, it could be band, tiddlywinks, to debate, to any overall school ratings. I am UT VOL first, and SEC second. (for that matter, any southern school)
100%. Only time I’m not is if the SEC/Southern school’s defeat improves UT’s chances of attaining a higher goal, i.e. a higher ranked bowl. Go Vols! All Vols!!

I do not bask in the glory of an Alabama win. Or a Georgia win, or a Vanderbilt win, or a Florida win. Each of those wins probably cost us a highly ranked recruit (not Vandy). I get no satisfaction from an Auburn win. I get abuse from my friends that went to Auburn. I guarantee that my Auburn friends do not cheer for UT, I will return that favor and never cheer for Auburn, unless their win results in UT moving up. Which would mean them beating Bama or Georgia or Florida, or some other SEC team. I would gladly root for Louisiana Tech to beat Mississippi State, or New Mexico State to beat Alabama.

Reactions: Nickid1975
I do not bask in the glory of an Alabama win. Or a Georgia win, or a Vanderbilt win, or a Florida win. Each of those wins probably cost us a highly ranked recruit (not Vandy). I get no satisfaction from an Auburn win. I get abuse from my friends that went to Auburn. I guarantee that my Auburn friends do not cheer for UT, I will return that favor and never cheer for Auburn, unless their win results in UT moving up. Which would mean them beating Bama or Georgia or Florida, or some other SEC team. I would gladly root for Louisiana Tech to beat Mississippi State, or New Mexico State to beat Alabama.

Actually I don't care if we beat each other up in conference. (want us to beat them all up!) It's out of conference that I am SEC always. This seems to be the only way to be considered the best....

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Actually I don't care if we beat each other up in conference. (want us to beat them all up!) It's out of conference that I am SEC always. This seems to be the only way to be considered the best....

The way to be considered the best is to win all your games while your rivals aren’t. I simply could never bring myself to root for Bama, Georgia, Auburn, Vandy, or Florida. If I had to, I could see myself supporting Arkansas or South Carolina. But I don’t see how LSU winning the national championship is good for UT. Losing all the top recruits to these teams is not a good thing. While some support the entire SEC, I prefer to support Tennessee. Think about it, we are not Vandy.

Reactions: Nickid1975
Does UConn get any credit for winning their conference, no. They can have a dozen banners from their conference and people will say, “so what”. If Tennessee wins the conference in one of the main sports, I and I think most others will say, “well done”. If it matters to you to be in a power 5 conference then it matters how the other teams in the conference do. If it doesn’t matter, I guess you would be okay if we were in the Southern Conference.

Does UConn get any credit for winning their conference, no. They can have a dozen banners from their conference and people will say, “so what”. If Tennessee wins the conference in one of the main sports, I and I think most others will say, “well done”. If it matters to you to be in a power 5 conference then it matters how the other teams in the conference do. If it doesn’t matter, I guess you would be okay if we were in the Southern Conference.

Cheering for the conference is something you do when your team stinks. Vandy fans cheer S-E-C, S-E-C, because they know their team will never win a national championship in football and if they can align themselves with Alabama football, they feel like they have accomplished something. I hope we never get to the point where we sink to the level of cheering for the conference instead of cheering for UT.

Whether she has been looking for grad transfers still doesn't explain the oddity of 2 guaranteed starters in Herrigan and Cooper leaving. Both only have 1 year of eligibility remaining

They weren't guaranteed starters; KHH was always in Dawn's doghouse because she didn't give 100% all the time and wasn't in good enough shape to satisfy Dawn. Cooper was a bit of a ball hog, which doesn't match how Dawn wants her teams to play, either. Perhaps, in the post season player meetings she gave them some things to work on that they didn't want to do. I have no inside info, but I know Dawn has high expectations and if they're not met, playing time is cut.

VN Store

Back