3 permanent rivals

Gotta be Bama, Kentucky, Vandy. Strength comes and goes, but the oldest and longest-lasting rivalries should be maintained.

Alabama, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt. I don’t really think it’s all that debatable.
I think we should be Alabama, Vandy and Kentucky. Been rivals with them the longest.
Alabama, Kentucky, and Vandy. Those are the original rivals and I have been watching Tennessee play since 1945.
I truly think there's no debate. It should be AL, KY, and Vandy.
I see no way they wouldn’t pair us with Vandy, UK, and Bama.
Vandy, Ky and Bama
If there's 3 permanent rivals it is going to be Vandy, Kentucky, and Bama.
‘Bama, Vandy, and Kentucky.

Yep.

Last edited:
UF, Bama, UGA in that order
We still play 6 other SEC teams during the course of the year. I don’t think we need all of them every year. I’m guessing UGA gets Auburn, Florida and South Carolina. Wouldn’t be surprised for us to get Bama, Vandy, UK or Florida .

Bama, because you can't BE the best unless you defeat the best.
Florida, because I live in Florida. I'm tired of having to absorb the heckling after every loss. I believe our current coaching staff is going to turn that around and I wanna enjoy it in Gator country when they do.
Vandy, because I believe the era of losses to Vandy is over and the relationship between Vandy and THE University of Tennessee is returning to what it should be.

The issue with a 3-6 format and 9-game SEC schedule is an odd number of home or away games as it’s a 5-4 or 4-5 split.

I imagine they’ll have 1 conference game at a “neutral” site every year to make it 4-4-1. No one gets an unfair advantage that way AND we still get 9 conference games.

Last edited:
Hopefully when Texas and Oklahoma come in they will change our schedules up and Bama drops off the schedule. I have spoken.

With 16 teams in the SEC, they would need to get rid of permanent rivals. Have 10 SEC games every season, so each fanbase would could see each rival school every 1.5 years. The other two games could be the cupcake games with whoever.

The issue with a 3-6 format and 9-game SEC schedule is an odd number of home or away games as it’s a 5-4 or 4-5 split.

I imagine they’ll have 1 conference game at a “neutral” site every year to make it 4-4-1. No one gets an unfair advantage that way AND we still get 9 conference games.
Not sure why I hadn't thought of this but I really like the 4-4-1. It also would help keep the Florida-Georgia game in Jacksonville (not that I care but some do I sure). Be interesting to see what neutral sites Tennessee could encounter along with some new trips for the fans.

We have to keep Vandy/KY as permanent. Makes sense geographically and historically. Probably GA the third. Why would you want to swap 2 wins to play Bama, FL etc. They can be rotating teams. I'm probably in the minority here but I would not have a problem dropping Bama as a permanent team. Things have changed, Bama is not rivalry anymore.

We have to keep Vandy/KY as permanent. Makes sense geographically and historically. Probably GA the third. Why would you want to swap 2 wins to play Bama, FL etc. They can be rotating teams. I'm probably in the minority here but I would not have a problem dropping Bama as a permanent team. Things have changed, Bama is not rivalry anymore.
I agree, we should stop playing Alabama, Georgia and Florida. Should have quit playing Vandy for a few years too.

First off I wanted to plug another thread. If you are not reading the thread by peaygolf counting down his list of 250 Volunteers, you are doing yourself a disservice. It's some great knowledge of each player along with walking some of us down memory lane.

On another note, I read an interesting article that proposed the SEC moving to a nine game conference schedule that would include 3 permanent rivals.It claimed the pods and keeping the divisions were 2 unlikely options. I realize we have played Bama, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt over 100 times. We used to have amazingly, heated games against Auburn and Ole Miss and no one can ignore the rivalries we have built with Florida and Georgia since the nineties. I say all this to see if YOU were the one calling the shots, what 3 permanent rivals would you choose and why? (Thanks in advance to everyone's two cents.) Go Vols!
My three would be Ole Miss, Auburn Kentucky. All three have history and all would be border wars.

My only argument to this would be who is Bama's rival? Steve Spurrier used to say you have to beat someone every once in awhile to make it a rivalry. Well no one in the SEC has beaten Bama more than the Volunteers. I know we haven't done it lately, but if Bama ever had a rival it would be TN. The Tide have only beaten us 58% of the time while their percentage is quite a bit higher on every other opponent other than Auburn. I enjoy playing them. The Third Saturday gives me chills and I love the thought of competing against them even if Vegas odds said they are favored by 50 lol I do however understand your reasoning. It's hard for many to see it as a rivalry just viewing the short term results.
Go Vols!

My only argument to this would be who is Bama's rival? Steve Spurrier used to say you have to beat someone every once in awhile to make it a rivalry. Well no one in the SEC has beaten Bama more than the Volunteers. I know we haven't done it lately, but if Bama ever had a rival it would be TN. The Tide have only beaten us 58% of the time while their percentage is quite a bit higher on every other opponent other than Auburn. I enjoy playing them. The Third Saturday gives me chills and I love the thought of competing against them even if Vegas odds said they are favored by 50 lol I do however understand your reasoning. It's hard for many to see it as a rivalry just viewing the short term results.
Go Vols!
Alabama and Auburn are rivals

I agree your opinion is worthless to me.
Does that mean you don't think I'm an ass now?

Opinions on a message board about things I have no control over are pretty worthless to me too.

People here say Alabama and Florida think of us like we think of Vandy and Kentucky. Don't remember if it was the same people but several people here said Vanderbilt "owned us" a few years ago. That was just a couple of years after we used to say they weren't a rival because they never beat us. Lol. People here right now think one of our losses this year will be to Kentucky. Many weren't comfortable just last year with saying they thought we'd beat Vandy. We had a 20 plus year winning streak on both of them at one time. What if they dropped us because they were tired of losing?

I don't know, just so much wrong with wanting to drop Alabama from our permanent schedule and saying "they're not a rival anymore".

No more Third Saturday in October every year?

tenor (2).gif

VN Store

Back