3 moves into the promised land!

3 moves that need to be made for this team to achieve their ceiling!

1) springer moves into being the primary PG

2) SV moves off the ball.

3) Keon moves to being exclusivity a slasher. He doesn’t need to have the ball in his hands so much.
Keon’s midrange jumper has actually been pretty good; I guess that came be from slashing, but still. I agree on the first two, though I think we still need Vescovi to be the primary ballhandler when Springer isn’t in the game. It’ll come with time.

I would add - more plays to Fulk when he doesn’t have a 7’1” guy on him. He was fairly dominant in the second half.

Keon’s midrange jumper has actually been pretty good; I guess that came be from slashing, but still. I agree on the first two, though I think we still need Vescovi to be the primary ballhandler when Springer isn’t in the game. It’ll come with time.

I would add - more plays to Fulk when he doesn’t have a 7’1” guy on him. He was fairly dominant in the second half.
We need Anosike to be the rebounding beast he was advertised and for Bailey to find his stroke. When those to hit their stride, we'll be a load.

Min:

Pg: springer 28/James 12
SG: SV 25/ Bailey 10/ Keon 5
SG: James 10/ Bailey 10/ Keon 20

Jmo

We need Anosike to be the rebounding beast he was advertised and for Bailey to find his stroke. When those to hit their stride, we'll be a load.
Anosike is very average skillset wise and he's undersized. He makes up for it through pure hustle and heart. I don't think he will be all that productive come conference play but his heart and hustle will be.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Santi is by far our best ball handler and playmaker right now. He needs the ball in his hands. Now the two freshman might get there or at least close soon, but Santi is the PG. Keon is far too careless right now, which is understandable given he's a freshman and didn't have much of an offseason in comparison. In general, we have to learn how to finish at the rim. That's been my biggest complaint with Jo, as he can really get there, but his finishing ability isn't very good. He's too strong for him to not shoot better in there. Defensively though, it's clear that we're elite. I expect the offense to come around sooner or later. It's just rust.

I know it’s early, but they definitely don’t look like the 12th ranked team in the country right now. If they could have made all of the open layups we would have won by 20 points. I fully expect this team to look sharp by the time conference play starts!

Beating 2 decent teams without any warm-up teams, while only shooting 34% from the field should be a good sign. We can definitely defend. I wouldn’t see any drastic changes under Barnes and find it highly unlikely he takes Vescovi off the ball. Next year he will for sure.

Springer and Keon will continue to earn more time and perhaps start (at least one of them). I want to see some more 4 guard lineups with James at the 4 at times. Don’t think we have seen that yet.

Santi is by far our best ball handler and playmaker right now. He needs the ball in his hands. Now the two freshman might get there or at least close soon, but Santi is the PG.
My opinion on SV not being an elite Pg goes back to last year and I had hoped all the buzz about him being better would end up proving me wrong but I don’t see it. I just don’t see a guy that has elite blow by quickness.

I see a guy that is a great spot up shooter and is great at seeing a crack in the Defense and getting into the lane. I think that skill set is set up more easily by a guy that can create on his own and I think Springer can do that

we had trouble last year D the 3 . Don’t know if teams get lucky vs us or we have a D set, that allows open 3’s. Teams hit 40% vs UT Last year. Looks like more of the same this year.

teams hit 40% against us last year?

you might want to check that

Reactions: walkenvol
My opinion on SV not being an elite Pg goes back to last year and I had hoped all the buzz about him being better would end up proving me wrong but I don’t see it. I just don’t see a guy that has elite blow by quickness.

I see a guy that is a great spot up shooter and is great at seeing a crack in the Defense and getting into the lane. I think that skill set is set up more easily by a guy that can create on his own and I think Springer can do that
A point guard doesn't have to create for himself, they're supposed to create for others, which he is good at. He also just happens to be our best 3 point shooter. He can do both, but he's our best at creating for others. Springer can create for himself, but I haven't seen him create for others yet that much. Still a nice skill set to have, don't get me wrong, but not particularly a PG.

Santi doesn't have elite quickness by any means, but he does manage to get into the lane pretty often. The only thing I want to see is him being able to make more threes off the dribble either in isolation or off screens. Springer and Johnson seem like they can do that, but they're still learning the whole feel for the game.

A point guard doesn't have to create for himself, they're supposed to create for others, which he is good at. He also just happens to be our best 3 point shooter. He can do both, but he's our best at creating for others. Springer can create for himself, but I haven't seen him create for others yet that much. Still a nice skill set to have, don't get me wrong, but not particularly a PG.

Santi doesn't have elite quickness by any means, but he does manage to get into the lane pretty often. The only thing I want to see is him being able to make more threes off the dribble either in isolation or off screens. Springer and Johnson seem like they can do that, but they're still learning the whole feel for the game.

I think Springer can create more for others than SV does

I agree. I think at a minimum Springer gets half the minutes at point guard. I like seeing them out their together sharing the duty. We saw this a lot with Turner and Bone.

Reactions: BruinVol
I know it’s early, but they definitely don’t look like the 12th ranked team in the country right now. If they could have made all of the open layups we would have won by 20 points. I fully expect this team to look sharp by the time conference play starts!
2 wins to start our season against non cupcakes is pretty solid.... And not anywhere near great games shows the talent level increase... Defensively we are elite

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Anosike is very average skillset wise and he's undersized. He makes up for it through pure hustle and heart. I don't think he will be all that productive come conference play but his heart and hustle will be.

He's so big, hopefully he can just wear on opposing big men when he's in there. Set solid picks, lay his weight on guys, foul hard when he fouls. Plays like that wear on the other guy.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back