3/3/2020 sealed it

I don't think people are fully grasping what Vescovi has accomplished in about two months. Only freshman Pg I can recall coming this close to his numbers was CJ Watson. All this and he didn't even have a preseason to get in shape or learn the plays. If one of the FR come in and take his spot then they are damn good. I'm talking like one of the guards we played last night good. I'm betting on SV to keep his spot.

Great points. And yeah, those fr backcourt guys for UK are dang near rediculous. Great win by our guys and youngsters too lat night. Makes me happy!

Hold on now ... not so fast my friend.
View attachment 264721

Billy Justus, Bill Hann, and Jimmy England weren't too shabby either. Neither was Jimmy England and Mike Edwards 2 years later. Or Mike Edwards and Rodney Woods. Lots of guys in that group would have capitalized on a 3-point line. Michael Brooks and Tyrone Beaman. Allan Houston and Greg Bell. Johnny Darden and Mike Jackson. Fred Jenkins and Tony White. A pair of really good post players is much harder to find. King and Grunfeld were small forwards.

Springer has been ranked there
Exactly, he’s on the cusp, probably dropping another spot or two in final updates...so acting as if he’s a Top 5 or even Top 10 guy seems wrong. We should look at guys ranked 15-20 and see what they did, that would be more accurate expectation imo.

Yes, many valid posts on this thread, but the most important aspect for next year is how many ball handlers we will have. I think Barnes wants to run like UNC traditionally has run with their transition offense. We will have the depth, more minutes to spread around (so more rested players) and will likely have 3 ball handlers on the court at all times next year. Attack the defensive glass and push tempo. We already block a lot of shots despite lack of size, which also can initiate transition buckets. That is what I would love to see. Just consider:
- Fulkerson is even more dangerous because he can outrun any big in the SEC and won’t be pushed around as much.
- Tempo actually mitigates some of Vescovi’s weaknesses in breaking down a set half court defense via dribble penetration
- Pons becomes a rim runner and a dunk waiting to happen as it would be harder to block him out on the offensive glass and he may be a better shooter off a secondary break than he is in half court
- James is very good on the defensive glass, and can initiate a break all by himself if given the license to do so.
- Springer can play any style and has strength to finish at the rim
- Keon Johnson may be the most athletic player on the roster and loves to attack the rim
- Corey Walker Jr. plays an old man game and is multi-skilled, can handle and hit midrange shots
- Bailey..another athlete. Jalen Johnson...athlete. Nkamhoua...decent athlete who also mobile against other bigs. Gaines...athlete. Pember...think he will redshirt but also would benefit with more tempo. The only player that tempo doesn’t suit in my opinion is Plavsic, but even he can move reasonably well....just doesn’t know spacing, positioning etc...or anticipate well at all, which is why he is such a horrible rebounder despite being 7’0. Get lucky and sign a big shot blocker/rebounder like Cardwell...even better.

Get back to averaging in the 80’s per game would be fun.
You make some good points. CRB is a defense first coach. With him being legitimately 2 deep at the 1-3, I wonder if we’re not going to apply a ton of full court pressure subbing guards every 5-10 minutes. Seems like he’s got a roster to run the Nolan Richardson 40 minutes of hell type of D.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Exactly, he’s on the cusp, probably dropping another spot or two in final updates...so acting as if he’s a Top 5 or even Top 10 guy seems wrong. We should look at guys ranked 15-20 and see what they did, that would be more accurate expectation imo.
I pulled the median win share for all 4 and 5 star freshmen going back to the start of the one-and-done era. Basically there are three discernible groups. Top 4 players. Players ranked 5-17 and then everyone else. Among that group where Springer falls, the median win share based on playing 30 games is 2.7 (and that’s with a standard deviation of 1.2 wins!) Which would rank 4th on our team but could range between 2nd and 6th based on stdev . People should put their expectations of him within that range. And for context even JJJ and Vescovi are within that range and they were ranked lower. Just based on this it doesn’t make sense to definitively state that he’s going to be better than Santi especially w a full offseason ahead of him

Current win shares adjusted for 30 games:
Fulky 4.5
Bowden 3.3
Pons 3.1
James 2.0
Vescovi 1.7
Jalen 1.3

Last edited:
I pulled the median win share for all 4 and 5 star freshmen going back to the start of the one-and-done era. Basically there are three discernible groups. Top 4 players. Players ranked 5-17 and then everyone else. Among that group where Springer falls, the median win share based on playing 30 games is 2.7 (and that’s with a standard deviation of 1.2 wins!) Which would rank 4th on our team but could range between 2nd and 6th based on stdev . People should put their expectations of him within that range. And for context even JJJ and Vescovi are within that range and they were ranked lower. Just based on this it doesn’t make sense to definitively state that he’s going to be better than Santi especially w a full offseason ahead of him

Fulky 4.5
Bowden 3.3
Pons 3.1
James 2.0
Vescovi 1.7
Jalen 1.3
Great info, thank you for sharing...expectations need to be lowered.

Fulky 4.5
Bowden 3.3
Pons 3.1
James 2.0
Vescovi 1.7
Jalen 1.3
I'm actually surprised Pons is that low (would expect his impact to put him closer to 4.0 range) and Bowden is that high.. goes to show how much I know. Then again its makes sense in hindsight. Pons have been very consistent throughout the year while Bowden has been more up and down. Fulky has been the heart and soul of this team.

I'm actually surprised Pons is that low (would expect his impact to put him closer to 4.0 range) and Bowden is that high.. goes to show how much I know. Then again its makes sense in hindsight. Pons have been very consistent throughout the year while Bowden has been more up and down. Fulky has been the heart and soul of this team.
Bowdens defense is underrated

Players in 15-20 range in years past include: Darius Garland, Precious Achiuwa, Tre Jones, Ashton Hagans, Nick Richards, Austin Wiley, PJ Dozier, Jalen Brunson. There are more but just a few notable names that most people around here would recognize.

Players in 15-20 range in years past include: Darius Garland, Precious Achiuwa, Tre Jones, Ashton Hagans, Nick Richards, Austin Wiley, PJ Dozier, Jalen Brunson. There are more but just a few notable names that most people around here would recognize.

As well as Stephen Zimmerman, Chase Jeter, Ray Smith, TJ Leaf, Omari Spellman, Lonnie Walker, Kris Wilkes, Darius Bazely, Kevin Porter, Bryan Antoine and Samuel Williamson.

Bowdens defense is underrated
I think an argument could made that his offense is underrated, at this point. His value became so depressed over the first half of the season, that his past 12 games, offensively, have gone largely unrecognized. But, he is averaging 15.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.0 apg, and only 1.75 TOpg, on 42% shooting overall (60-142), and 31.3% shooting from 3 (20-64) going back to the Kansas game. And he only had one stinker in those 12, which was his 5 pt, 1-7 shooting performance at USCe.

VN Store

Back