26-13?

walkenvol

Would you feel any better about this game if CJH had of kicked the 2 field goals instead of the failed 4th down attempts?

We have a much improved defense this year and a less dynamic offense. Seems CJH might want to reevaluate the decisions to pass on reasonable length field goal attempts since the defense is keeping us in the game.

I found myself wishing he'd done the exact opposite of what you propose, actually.

I wanted us to go for it on the 4th down where we attempted (and missed) the 51-yard field goal.

Then again, I very often want us to go for it, lol. Bit of gambling blood somewhere in me.

Go Vols!
Yeah it’s funny. I definitely wanted to go for it there but then wanted to kick the next one that was a 46 yarder. Glad to get the win though!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I found myself wishing he'd done the exact opposite of what you propose, actually.

I wanted us to go for it on the 4th down where we attempted (and missed) the 51-yard field goal.

Then again, I very often want us to go for it, lol. Bit of gambling blood somewhere in me.

Go Vols!
I wanted us to go for it on the 4th and 2 instead of a 51 yd field goal attempt, but I didn't want us to go for it when it was I think 4th and 7 and a 47 yd field goal attempt, which we did go for. I didn't understand the reasoning on this one.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I wanted us to go for it on the 4th and 2 instead of a 51 yd field goal attempt, but I didn't want us to go for it when it was I think 4th and 7 and a 47 yd field goal attempt, which we did go for. I didn't understand the reasoning on this one.
How did you feel about passing on the short fg in the first quarter?

Personally, I think it’s become too common to pass on a reasonable length fg especially early in games. You just never know how the game might play out and the 3 extra points could be huge. Also, it’s a huge momentum swing when the defense holds on 4th down. Just don’t know if the risk verses reward is worth it.

How did you feel about passing on the short fg in the first quarter?

Personally, I think it’s become too common to pass on a reasonable length fg especially early in games. You just never know how the game might play out and the 3 extra points could be huge. Also, it’s a huge momentum swing when the defense holds on 4th down. Just don’t know if the risk verses reward is worth it.
I wanted the 3…. Without question

Would you feel any better about this game if CJH had of kicked the 2 field goals instead of the failed 4th down attempts?

We have a much improved defense this year and a less dynamic offense. Seems CJH might want to reevaluate the decisions to pass on reasonable length field goal attempts since the defense is keeping us in the game.
With the way that the defense is playing, I would give Campbell every field goal opportunity that he could get.

You don't win games like GA or Bama by kicking FGs

I dunno man. CFB is cyclical and it seems this year it’s more defensively based. The games aren’t as high scoring as they’ve been the last few years. It’s kinda like these DCs have finally cracked the code to slowing down dynamic offenses. I’d say against Bama and UGA we take any guaranteed points that we can get the way our defense is playing.

I think one would’ve been what 47 yards? We had missed from just a little longer earlier so I figured that’s why he went on the one. Feel like he thought FGs weren’t going to win this game.

I think one would’ve been what 47 yards? We had missed from just a little longer earlier so I figured that’s why he went on the one. Feel like he thought FGs weren’t going to win this game.

That's not how the game works. Becuase Huepel went for it on 4th, though he failed, he pinned A&M deep in their territory. We stopped them, got the ball back in good field position, then scored a TD. That's the only TD the offense scored.

Considering the struggles of the offense in the passing game today, We likely don't still drive the length of the field if we settle for the FG and receive the next possession on our side of the field.

That's not how the game works. Becuase Huepel went for it on 4th, though he failed, he pinned A&M deep in their territory. We stopped them, got the ball back in good field position, then scored a TD. That's the only TD the offense scored.

Considering the struggles of the offense in the passing game today, We likely don't still drive the length of the field if we settle for the FG and receive the next possession on our side of the field.
Was just about to point this out. Just because we take 3 there doesn't mean everything else happens in the same fashion. Going for it there led to 7 points on our next possession.

Reactions: vavolfan6

Excellent point.

Go Vols!
Same for me. Dropped out of UT to play poker back in 2004, didn't work out 😆. I did go back though!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
You don't win games like GA or Bama by kicking FGs
With those two FGs, UT would have scored the same number of points against the A&M D as Bama did. UT's D handled A&M's O better than Bama did.

With this particular team, it may be very important for Heupel to change his tactics concerning when to kick.

Reactions: walkenvol and 67Vol

VN Store

Back