247: Vols' projected depth chart next season

If we get that LB from NDSU, leave Crouch outside. So you have Bennett, Toot, Cox, Crouch. Then replace Flowers with Lawrence. That’s an NFL defense.

The VIRUS PUT HB ON THE BENCH, WITH NO SPRING PRACTICE NO WAY HE CAN COMPETE FOR THE STARTING JOB, but on the other hand, with no football in 20 he will have plenty of time to catch up.

I wouldn't totally rule it out but that mountain just got a whole lot steeper!

Now he will have a fight on his hands to make it to the 2-deep. But that kid seems to be smart and looks good physically, "so I'm sayin there's a chance!"

I'm not so sure E. Gooden will come in and win a starting job right away. We have to remember we just penciled him in last offseason and he doesn't have the in-game experience of a guy like Emerson or Garland.

Lawrence will be hard to keep off the field. He's the best athlete out of that class. I think we'll see he and Tank solidified as the safeties before it's all said and done.

I half expect Calloway to be moved to DB because while our WR room isn't experienced, it's deep with athletes. I can kinda see Eason bulking up to around 285-290 and playing the 5 technique. I wonder how long it will take L. Whitehead to realize his quickest path to PT is at ILB. I think with a fall camp he will be in the mix to start there if he concentrates on it- he's that good. Omari Thomas may already be the best athlete on the DL. Will be interesting to see what happens with some of these talented new guys.

JG lit up Mizzou.
Had pivotal success spurts against Kentucky and MSU. If he doesn't play in those games we lose.
Played very well vs Mizzou. Pure speculation regarding the other 2 games, no way to know. He did virtually nothing vs MissSt and threw 8 passes vs Ky. I’ll add that we beat UAB, Vandy and Indiana IN SPITE of Guarantano.

Played very well vs Mizzou. Pure speculation regarding the other 2 games, no way to know. He did virtually nothing vs MissSt and threw 8 passes vs Ky. I’ll add that we beat UAB, Vandy and Indiana IN SPITE of Guarantano.
FWIW Jeremy Pruitt beat IU himself with the surprise onside. Without it we lose.

Our defense was the deciding factor
against MSU and UK. But he did enough in critical moments to put enough points on the board. Mizzou he came to life, only to revert back later on during the other games. Like you said we won in spite of him during those contests.

I'm not arguing for him to be the guy, I'm just stating that we don't win those 3 games without him on those 3 days. We lost to GSU and BYU because of him. We won 8 games but I'm staying his record is 3-2 for 2019.
Gave the small chance against Bama away..

I expect him to do the same again in 2020.

Reactions: KBVol
Why? Did he play much at Ga?

He was only there a year playing a position they were loaded at.

Pruitt moved him, then moved him back, then back to WR again. Is it because he's so talented at either? Or is it Pruitt just trying to find a spot for him? Is it both?

This Spring would have been a decent indicator...but.

I'm hoping this rest will reset some careers. JJ Peterson and DeAngelo Gibbs need to step up! Both need to work like their future is slipping away...

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He was only there a year playing a position they were loaded at.

Pruitt moved him, then moved him back, then back to WR again. Is it because he's so talented at either? Or is it Pruitt just trying to find a spot for him? Is it both?

This Spring would have been a decent indicator...but.

I'm hoping this rest will reset some careers. JJ Peterson and DeAngelo Gibbs need to step up! Both need to work like their future is slipping away...
I'm hoping Gibbs is productive but I just don't see him being that much of a difference maker at either WR or DB. I think JJ Peterson struggles with his shoulder injuries, which in my opinion is the worst injury for a LB to overcome, especially one that's slender built like he is. If we get anything much out of either player I think will be great because I just don't think either of them are anything but role players. That being said, if JJ and Gibbs are just minor role players then you've got a pretty good football team.

Reactions: LittleVol
I'm hoping Gibbs is productive but I just don't see him being that much of a difference maker at either WR or DB. I think JJ Peterson struggles with his shoulder injuries, which in my opinion is the worst injury for a LB to overcome, especially one that's slender built like he is. If we get anything much out of either player I think will be great because I just don't think either of them are anything but role players. That being said, if JJ and Gibbs are just minor role players then you've got a pretty good football team.

These two have been 2 of the biggest gets since Pruitt has arrived. Both older guys now. However, we've recruited so well the past two years that if they don't step, someone very talented will be there to fill the void.

ILB
Bryson Eason 6'2 260
Quavarius Crouch 6'2 247
Morven Joseph 6'3 230

WR
Ramel Keyton 6'2 200
Malachi Goodman 6'5 205
Dee Beckwith 6'5 230

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
With the ruling that the one time transfer rule delayed till Jan ..I hope we see Cade May's at least one year and he can become eligible . If he is not .. i can see him moving on into nfl .. it's a shame with what we have potentially on ol that it might not become a reality .. our luck huh !!

With the ruling that the one time transfer rule delayed till Jan ..I hope we see Cade May's at least one year and he can become eligible . If he is not .. i can see him moving on into nfl .. it's a shame with what we have potentially on ol that it might not become a reality .. our luck huh !!
Unfortunately for you, Cade has one of the easiest cases to get a wavier to play this year. 4* Carvin is probably going to have PT limited by 5* Mays.

I’m not completely convinced that Gray will be the sole guy at RB. Jordan and Chandler will still get plenty of reps. Chandler can still be very effective catching the ball. Hopefully Graham can help him develop his all-around game. Jordan will still be the short yardage back and pass blocking guy. I like all 3 of those options though. Let’s goooooo!!!!!!!

Gibbs is a mystery to me. Wasn't this guy a high 4-star recruit maybe 5-star. Transfers, sits a year, has an injury (not sure), never hear anything about him.

He’s a great athlete but hasn’t found his position. Maybe has work to do in the focus and discipline department. Who knows? There are guys like this at every program. He has every physical tool you need, but just hasn’t put it all together.

Reactions: BigBadVol

VN Store

Back