247: Vols' projected depth chart next season

kamoshika

Pretty good overviews with projected starters listed below.

OFFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Offense
  • QB: Jarrett Guarantano
  • RB: Eric Gray
  • WR: Josh Palmer, Ramel Keyton, Brandon Johnson
  • TE: Austin Pope
  • OL: LT Wanya Morris, LG Trey Smith, C Brandon Kennedy, RG Cade Mays, RT Darnell Wright
DEFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Defense
  • DL: Aubrey Solomon, Emmit Gooden, Darel Middleton
  • OLB: Kivon Bennett, Deandre Johnson
  • ILB: Henry To'o To'o, Quavaris Crouch
  • CB: Bryce Thompson, Alontae Taylor, Shawn Shamburger (star/nickelback)
  • S: Jaylen McCollough, Trevon Flowers

WR will be good but middle road SEC, not the aggressive types that can own the ball & be QB best friend
think RB will be split carries between 3 RB's no real starter.
Everything else looks very good even ST , think we will be breaking in new long snapper.
Most experienced QB in SEC besides kellen mond

I hope Gibbs can break in at the slot just due to his reputation. We need a difference maker and while Johnson is reliable and experienced he isn’t going to frighten a defense. TE has bodies but no difference at this point. Our DL is very deep. No one dominant player but solid at every position. I’m betting Baron gets a good long look as a potential starter As OLB. He has the size already and Johnson has probably reached his ceiling.

Should be a good year next year. Doubt we leap ahead of Florida and Georgia but we should be closer.

Gibbs is a mystery to me. Wasn't this guy a high 4-star recruit maybe 5-star. Transfers, sits a year, has an injury (not sure), never hear anything about him.

Pretty good overviews with projected starters listed below.

OFFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Offense
  • QB: harrison Bailey
  • RB: Eric Gray
  • WR: Josh Palmer, Ramel Keyton, Brandon Johnson
  • TE: Austin Pope
  • OL: LT Wanya Morris, LG Trey Smith, C Brandon Kennedy, RG Cade Mays, RT Darnell Wright
DEFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Defense
  • DL: Aubrey Solomon, Emmit Gooden, Darel Middleton
  • OLB: Kivon Bennett, Deandre Johnson
  • ILB: Henry To'o To'o, Quavaris Crouch
  • CB: Bryce Thompson, Alontae Taylor, Shawn Shamburger (star/nickelback)
  • S: Jaylen McCollough, Trevon Flowers

Fixed it for you. Seriously, if we trot Jg out there I’ll begin to lose trust in pruitt. Bailey played at the highest level of high school football there is and was amazing. The only other former QBs in ga football history that have similar number are desean Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin fields, and jake Fromm. All of them proved immediately they were legit. Plus, we’ll have the best line (and likely running game) we’ve had in years. So what greater opportunity to easy a freshman in than this year. You only get a super star talent in college for 3 years so why not start him right away. We’ve already seen what jg ceiling is and it’s low. Really low.

There is no reason to bash JG all offseason. He outplayed the other qb’s last season whether you want to admit it or not. He will start again unless one of the other guys step up.
It is 100% on CJP as to who starts as our QB, why is anyone even thinking about questioning his decision?

Reactions: Tnwoodsman
I think JG wins the starting spot, it had better mean much improvement in Chaneys system for a second year. If the Vols can get some quick slant rhythm throws, force JG to get rid of the ball quick he has a good deep ball. Will be interesting to see how JG responds with HB and maybe Mauer giving him competition. Not sure how it plays out but hope the competition makes the QB room much better. JG or HB i think the Vols have improved QB play next season.

I like it. I see an intense spring and fall battle with HB taking over. JG has been there for us and will continue to be, if needed. That offense line with a cutter like EG starting means that quarterback wont be nearly as important or relied upon, hopefully.

That offensive line... please let it happen...

Also think Chandler gets the nod first two games. JG starts game 1-4 (somehow making it through the OU game) then midway through UF, Bailey goes in - then he starts the rest of the season and JG's only action thereafter will be on SR day against Troy.

What that doesnt show is new talent that will have an immediate impact. Gray would not have been there last season for example.

Hyatt at WR is EASILY the fastest player on the team to 40yds the day he shows up. Will hopefully help stretch the field from day 1.

The Memphis 3 will add immediate depth at LB.

Hodge will be our big goal line back next year instead of Crouch.

Not to mention the kids who redshirted or didnt play much last season like Peterson, 2 huge def. Tackles, Harrison, etc that should be solid parts of our rotation that provide the quality depth it takes to win in the SEC.

I cannot say enough about how good of a job this staff has done about recruiting the right kids. Amazing job..not just of meeting our needs/holes in the roster...but building the depth we havent had in a decade. There was plenty of room to criticize this staff early last season, but anyone who criticizes the way this team has been built is ignorant to what it means to build an SEC roster. CJP learned well from lil nicky how to stack a team with the right bodies to win.

Fixed it for you. Seriously, if we trot Jg out there I’ll begin to lose trust in pruitt. Bailey played at the highest level of high school football there is and was amazing. The only other former QBs in ga football history that have similar number are desean Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin fields, and jake Fromm. All of them proved immediately they were legit. Plus, we’ll have the best line (and likely running game) we’ve had in years. So what greater opportunity to easy a freshman in than this year. You only get a super star talent in college for 3 years so why not start him right away. We’ve already seen what jg ceiling is and it’s low. Really low.

Should he practice at least one day Coach?

What that doesnt show is new talent that will have an immediate impact. Gray would not have been there last season for example.

Hyatt at WR is EASILY the fastest player on the team to 40yds the day he shows up. Will hopefully help stretch the field from day 1.

The Memphis 3 will add immediate depth at LB.

Hodge will be our big goal line back next year instead of Crouch.

Not to mention the kids who redshirted or didnt play much last season like Peterson, 2 huge def. Tackles, Harrison, etc that should be solid parts of our rotation that provide the quality depth it takes to win in the SEC.

I cannot say enough about how good of a job this staff has done about recruiting the right kids. Amazing job..not just of meeting our needs/holes in the roster...but building the depth we havent had in a decade. There was plenty of room to criticize this staff early last season, but anyone who criticizes the way this team has been built is ignorant to what it means to build an SEC roster. CJP learned well from lil nicky how to stack a team with the right bodies to win.
No idea who'll get the nod in short yardage situations but I'm betting on Whitehead.

Gibbs is a mystery to me. Wasn't this guy a high 4-star recruit maybe 5-star. Transfers, sits a year, has an injury (not sure), never hear anything about him.
Great athlete. Problems in his helmet. Wish him well but there's a reason that Kirby cut him loose. He didn't want to.

VN Store

Back