247 Audio: Sky is the Limit for Joshua Dobbs

I wish butch would have been able to notice what almost all of the arm chair qbs noticed...which is that Dobbs was the only qb we had that fit his system. And not only does he fit but that he is a tremendous athlete...system fit or not.

Simply put...if butch names him qb from day one, imo we play in Atlanta. That's what one dumb decision can mean.

Let's not take for granted he'll be named starter heading into next season

I strongly disagree.
Beat Florida?
Most likely.
Beat Georgia?
Worley played lights out. So howw can we argue a different outcome?
Beat Ole Miss?
Um a big NO.
He lost to Bama (actually the D did) and didnt do much against Mizzu.
So I can't really see an argument that they would be in Atlanta.

Reactions: 1 person
You really need to get over this and start paying attention to some facts my friend.

All through spring, summer and fall camps it was reported several times that Dobbs was running the ball great but his passing was horrid.

He was consistently throwing the ball either high and way over their heads or way low and in the dirt way in front of them.

You never start a QB that passes in the dirt or way over the WR, TE or RB head consistently!!!

I hated losing to Fla, UGa and the others as much as you or anyone else but at the time JW was our best chance to try to Win and we were just a very few poits away from at least 2 more wins.

You and others on here also need to learn and accept that you'll never know as much about our footVol team as our coaches know.

I honestly hope you can learn to get over your obsessive/compulsive need to mostly post only negative things about our coaches, players and anythng else you can conjure up.

We have solid proof that we're on the way back up and that's a good thing and should make you a happier person, if you're really a Tennessee fan.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Well first off its just a boring off season thread. Nobody needs to get over themselves...it's just killing a little time and speculation.

Some take any comment that could be perceived as negative and make a big deal out of it.

But to your point...it was really only butch saying that he was passing terrible. Many of the players came out in support of Dobbs saying they were shocked he wasn't named the starter all along based in what they see everyday in practice. And butchis really bad at making things seem the way he wants us to see them. Remember when he said the media only projected us to win 3 games? Nobody said that.
He wants us to believe that he didn't make a mistake sitting Dobbs but it's obvious to everyone he did. Even if he didn't throw as accurately as Worley, we run the freaking read option all the time.
As awesome as a energy ambassador andrecruiter bbutch has been he made some terrible decisions last year. And acknowledging those mistakes doesn't make you any less of a fan.

If he had started the season, he would have gotten dinged up in the Arkansas State game...destroyed and shattered in the Oklahoma game and practically useless and his career over by the end of the bowl less year...Butch handled it perfectly.

Maybe. Or maybe we beat Oklahoma and put the whole damn ncaa in notice. Remember that by the time butch turned to Dobbs...Josh Smith and vp were both injured. And even without those guy look how well Dobbs played against Bama. Would you not based in your post have assumed that Bama would smash Dobbs and he'd have left in a stretcher? Well what actually happened is that we outscored Bama with Dobbs for the final three quarters of the game. We'll never know what might have happened early in the year but we are all in agreement the by the end of the season he was playing better than any qb we've had in a long time. Why would you assume he wouldn't have played well earlier in the season with better receivers?

Well first off its just a boring off season thread. Nobody needs to get over themselves...it's just killing a little time and speculation.

Some take any comment that could be perceived as negative and make a big deal out of it.

But to your point...it was really only butch saying that he was passing terrible. Many of the players came out in support of Dobbs saying they were shocked he wasn't named the starter all along based in what they see everyday in practice. And butchis really bad at making things seem the way he wants us to see them. Remember when he said the media only projected us to win 3 games? Nobody said that.
He wants us to believe that he didn't make a mistake sitting Dobbs but it's obvious to everyone he did. Even if he didn't throw as accurately as Worley, we run the freaking read option all the time.
As awesome as a energy ambassador andrecruiter bbutch has been he made some terrible decisions last year. And acknowledging those mistakes doesn't make you any less of a fan.

I don't recall any players saying Dobbs should have started. Of course they are going to praise the play of their teammate. I guess I need to research.
And I also don't know of multiple "terrible" decisions that he made. He hasnt always made great ones, but I.have seen enough young talent developed already that I'm excited about the time when its not on the HC outcoaching everyone to get a win. Because a successful team means the PLAYERS are going out and winning the game.

Dobbs throwing the ball in the dirt......wow justin worley threw the ball into the ground his whole junior year and made the o line look terrible with holding on to the ball to long it should have been dobbs job from day 1 he fits the system and make things happen with his feet he also made the line look halfway decent

Maybe. Or maybe we beat Oklahoma and put the whole damn ncaa in notice. Remember that by the time butch turned to Dobbs...Josh Smith and vp were both injured. And even without those guy look how well Dobbs played against Bama. Would you not based in your post have assumed that Bama would smash Dobbs and he'd have left in a stretcher? Well what actually happened is that we outscored Bama with Dobbs for the final three quarters of the game. We'll never know what might have happened early in the year but we are all in agreement the by the end of the season he was playing better than any qb we've had in a long time. Why would you assume he wouldn't have played well earlier in the season with better receivers?
He also played extremely poorly against one of the worst Vandy teams ever. I understand the injuey argument but it was freaking Vandy. Most likely beat Florida but still lose to UGA and Ole Miss. So I'm not buying the argument we would be anything better than 1 extra win. And that wouldn't buy a trip to Atlanta, but possibly get a different bowl matchup that could be a loss.
Who cares anymore he will show next year whether he is the real deal and thats all that matters. They made a bowl so the season wasn't a failure.

Reactions: 2 people
...Some take any comment that could be perceived as negative...

...butchis really bad at making things seem the way he wants us to see them...

...He wants us to believe that he didn't make a mistake sitting Dobbs but it's obvious to everyone...

...As awesome as ... bbutch has been he made some terrible decisions last year...

See I have no idea why these crazy people are perceiving your comments as negative. They are just total nuts.

Reactions: 3 people
Is being delusional spread by message boards ?

It's sad how being delusional seems so common here on VN, LOL!

Does it seem that the offseason gets longer and longer around here?

I don't recall any players saying Dobbs should have started. Of course they are going to praise the play of their teammate. I guess I need to research.
And I also don't know of multiple "terrible" decisions that he made. He hasnt always made great ones, but I.have seen enough young talent developed already that I'm excited about the time when its not on the HC outcoaching everyone to get a win. Because a successful team means the PLAYERS are going out and winning the game.

No bad decisions by butch. Lol. How about taking a knee at the end of the half against Missouri? Or punting it multiple times on fourth and short inside the 40 against Florida (all ended up touch backs) for starters.
Most of butchs mistakes are from being too conservative. If we get a one point lead we will just sit on it and try to run out the clock. That's really what happened against Florida and mizzou. And why we didn't try harder to score in both of the scenarios u mentioned.
Now I'll give you that butch has recruiting at an incredible level. And our kids are playing as hard as we've ever seen. And players are developing well. I'm in no way saying he's not our guy. It's just crazy how if people like him...they won't allow any suggestion that's he's flawed in any way whatsoever. And he is. He is the most conservative minded coach I've ever seen.
Look at the teams that played for the NFL and cfb championships. You can make an argument that those are all cached by the most aggressive coaches in the game. Hell billicheck and Meyer are two of the most aggressive coaches I can name.
Name a couple of ultra conservative coaches that are at the top of the pack right now...and don't say Saban. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for aggressive decision making.

I hope so, he is one player that I hope doesn't graduate this fall...I don't want him to leave for his senior season...

Josh is going to be a true junior this coming year. Having to satisfy the requirements of an aero engineering degree is a pretty high bar. I'm betting he won't be done with his course work in 3 years, even as bright as he is. They flashed his fall course load on the screen during a game in November. He was right on track as a sophomore, didn't seem to be working ahead. Think we're pretty safe seeing him come back for his senior year, unless he does so well in 2015, and the NFL lure becomes so pervasive and strong, that he chooses to forego finishing up academically. That just doesn't seem like Josh's character to me, though. Think he's a 4-year player.

Now, if Marquez North, Cam Sutton, or Jalen Reeves-Maybin were to have a lights-out year in 2015, it might be a different story for one or more of them....

Last edited:
See I have no idea why these crazy people are perceiving your comments as negative. They are just total nuts.

Lol! You took half sentences and cut out the rest to help make your point. And you didn't quote any of the positive comments I made. Some peopleon here ju st think butch is sent by the almighty himself and refuse to acknowledge any flaw.

I hope so, he is one player that I hope doesn't graduate this fall...I don't want him to leave for his senior season...

What?????????????

Even if he graduates ealry, he will still have eligibility to play. Why would anyone not want him to do what's best for his education and post grad aspirations?

This is just nuts!!!!!

Lol! You took half sentences and cut out the rest to help make your point. And you didn't quote any of the positive comments I made. Some peopleon here ju st think butch is sent by the almighty himself and refuse to acknowledge any flaw.

Haha! Yes, it's called 'isolating' the parts of your response that people seem to be keying on when they perceive you as negative. You seemed confused as to how that could be happening, so I used a little gentle sarcasm and phrase isolation to help you out. :)

Really? Well if we simply beat Florida...we'd at least have been in it. And if we'd have beaten ugh...we'd have been there. It's not delusion

I hear ya. Those are the decisions that set a program back 10, maybe 15 years.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm tired of these top 5 classes and sugar bowl predictions for next year, etc. I want coaches heads to roll for all the past decisions that I disagreed with. I want to start another major rebuild. Bring back that 2008 - 2013 era of Tennessee football!

Ok, if I understand Volnation, Butch Jones blew it with his decision regarding Dobbs last year. Now, the question is why?

1. Jones WANTS to lose football games.
2. Someone paid him to sit Dobbs.
3. Jones isn't good at evaluating talent in practice, while Volnation is excellent at talent eval even when we don't see practice.

So according to VN, CBO is corrupt, doesn't have a good football eye or both.

When will this end?

696.gif

You really need to get over this and start paying attention to some facts my friend.

All through spring, summer and fall camps it was reported several times that Dobbs was running the ball great but his passing was horrid.

He was consistently throwing the ball either high and way over their heads or way low and in the dirt way in front of them.

You never start a QB that passes in the dirt or way over the WR, TE or RB head consistently!!!

I hated losing to Fla, UGa and the others as much as you or anyone else but at the time JW was our best chance to try to Win and we were just a very few poits away from at least 2 more wins.

You and others on here also need to learn and accept that you'll never know as much about our footVol team as our coaches know.

I honestly hope you can learn to get over your obsessive/compulsive need to mostly post only negative things about our coaches, players and anythng else you can conjure up.

We have solid proof that we're on the way back up and that's a good thing and should make you a happier person, if you're really a Tennessee fan.

And yet Butch continued to stick Worley out there that Junior year of his. He had improved to consistent mediocrity for his Senior year (at least, until the game was on the line). Dobbs, as a freshman had shown himself to be a better play-maker already, but in need of reps and a little support from his head coach. Pure play-making ability is better than consistent mediocrity every time, but Butch has some mysterious criteria for deciding who should play QB and in this case it was clearly wrong. Coaches ARE wrong sometimes, even great coaches are wrong sometimes, Butch was wrong.

BTW, I don't know about anybody else, but I could have been easily placated on this if Butch had just said, "Josh performed well above our expectations," before going into his "grumpy dad that can't be pleased" routine, instead of the first thing out of his mouth every time being, "Lots of room for improvement." It didn't even change after Josh had just won the MVP of the bowl game.

I wish butch would have been able to notice what almost all of the arm chair qbs noticed...which is that Dobbs was the only qb we had that fit his system. And not only does he fit but that he is a tremendous athlete...system fit or not.

Simply put...if butch names him qb from day one, imo we play in Atlanta. That's what one dumb decision can mean.

Let's not take for granted he'll be named starter heading into next season

You are in first place for being the most ignorant poster in the football forum. It's always the same unenlightened crap with you.

And yet Butch continued to stick Worley out there that Junior year of his. He had improved to consistent mediocrity for his Senior year (at least, until the game was on the line). Dobbs, as a freshman had shown himself to be a better play-maker already, but in need of reps and a little support from his head coach. Pure play-making ability is better than consistent mediocrity every time, but Butch has some mysterious criteria for deciding who should play QB and in this case it was clearly wrong. Coaches ARE wrong sometimes, even great coaches are wrong sometimes, Butch was wrong.

BTW, I don't know about anybody else, but I could have been easily placated on this if Butch had just said, "Josh performed well above our expectations," before going into his "grumpy dad that can't be pleased" routine, instead of the first thing out of his mouth every time being, "Lots of room for improvement." It didn't even change after Josh had just won the MVP of the bowl game.

Dobbs didn't show much as a freshman

You are in first place for being the most ignorant poster in the football forum. It's always the same unenlightened crap with you.

He just does it to be annoying! You ever notice how it is the same junk every time he posts! I suspect he was a Tennessee fan at one time but switched to be a bammer! Now his sole mission is to troll this board! He probably got mad at Dooley b/c he was passed over for a GA position on the offense. You have to admit the guy seems to be an offensive genius! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I keep seeing people say here that his parents wanted him red-shirted, but I don't think I've ever seen a citation for it.

Is it one of those volnation things, where it was just an unsubstantiated supposition and then everyone latches onto it and repeats it like a fact simply because it makes a good excuse?

Not sure where the "parents wanted him redshirted" talk came from. I heard it several times on talk radio but don't think I ever saw a quote from either parent or any coach mention they wanted it. I did read several credible sources that quoted Jones saying that he wanted to redshirt Dobbs and that's really all that mattered.

He just does it to be annoying! You ever notice how it is the same junk every time he posts! I suspect he was a Tennessee fan at one time but switched to be a bammer! Now his sole mission is to troll this board! He probably got mad at Dooley b/c he was passed over for a GA position on the offense. You have to admit the guy seems to be an offensive genius! :)

Lol in the same vein as Hal Mummy.

VN Store

Back