'22 TX CG Cason Wallace

This is something I hadn't thought much about. Essentially boosters could have another way to get kids in the fold. I think it is illegal to pay for anything for a kid if you have donated to the university. That should be easy to spot, but it could start getting messy.
That's a real quick lawsuit in today's NIL environment, I would think.

That's a real quick lawsuit in today's NIL environment, I would think.
I’d like someone to clearly explain where they believe the lines are, and cite some specific law or rule to back it up. Among my friends who are agents and attorneys they can’t tell me. If Kentucky is giving players “projections” on NIL value, that feels way out of bounds. I’m the one who lobbed that story in. It’s from a very credible source. I’d really like someone to tell me where the lines are. It seems that the NCAA is about to be entirely irrelevant if they can’t define the new order.

His point is that the overriding theme amongst some posters is that Kentucky is suddenly a nothing burger across the college basketball landscape because we've had some head-to-head success against them, recently. And he's right. We have some posters who want to pretend that Kentucky is no threat on the court or on the recruiting trail, and that is simply foolish.

Still, “mild success”? Going .500 is about as much success as TN has ever had versus KY.

I agree that considering them a non-threat is foolish. They just had their worst season since the 1920s, since several years before the SEC even existed, and they came to Knoxville and blew TN out of the TBA.

Still, “mild success”? Going .500 is about as much success as TN has ever had versus KY.

I agree that considering them a non-threat is foolish. They just had their worst season since the 1920s, since several years before the SEC even existed, and they came to Knoxville and blew TN out of the TBA.
We are barely doing better than UK on the court and on the recruiting trail, and that point is debatable. I'm not arguing that this isn't a successful stretch considering UT's history, I'm saying we're not killing them in any sense of the meaning. Some people are foolishly underestimating UK prowess and overstating UT "dominance."

Reactions: ricepatty
We are barely doing better than UK on the court and on the recruiting trail, and that point is debatable. I'm not arguing that this isn't a successful stretch considering UT's history, I'm saying we're not killing them in any sense of the meaning. Some people are foolishly underestimating UK prowess and overstating UT "dominance."

It’s far more than mild success when you win more than you lose versus the winningest basketball program in the NCAA. Bruce barely won 23% of them.

Fwiw, UK just offered Nick Smith (another guard), tonight.
Seems like this could be good news. They have Sky Clark committed, Sharp is getting a lot of predictions for UK. I doubt they plan to take 4 freshman guards so maybe they offer Smith because they don't feel good about Wallace. There is speculation on Rupp Rafters they tell Sky to look around but that seems a little unlikely to me.

Seems like this could be good news. They have Sky Clark committed, Sharp is getting a lot of predictions for UK. I doubt they plan to take 4 freshman guards so maybe they offer Smith because they don't feel good about Wallace. There is speculation on Rupp Rafters they tell Sky to look around but that seems a little unlikely to me.
Yeah, the hope is (in my mind), that they offer both Wallace and Smith, and then spin it publicly that Smith was their preference all along if Wallace commits to Tennessee. Seems like an option to make it look like Kentucky got their man.

My fear, though, is what if they do see Wallace as a PG? That is very likely his NBA position and he has shown displayed some PG skills, this summer, despite playing off the ball. Maybe they feel like his driving ability will be valuable in Cal's dribble-drive offense, even if he isn't a traditional PG. They may think that a healthy Wallace is less of a risk than a questionable Clark, even a year removed from his ACL injury.

I have a hard time seeing them drop Clark, as they've recruited him for 2 years, offered him over a year ago, and his family even moved to Nashville, as was rumored, to be closer to UK before he ever committed. But recruiting is a fickle business.

Reactions: LeannaVol
Yeah, the hope is (in my mind), that they offer both Wallace and Smith, and then spin it publicly that Smith was their preference all along if Wallace commits to Tennessee. Seems like an option to make it look like Kentucky got their man.

My fear, though, is what if they do see Wallace as a PG? That is very likely his NBA position and he has shown displayed some PG skills, this summer, despite playing off the ball. Maybe they feel like his driving ability will be valuable in Cal's dribble-drive offense, even if he isn't a traditional PG. They may think that a healthy Wallace is less of a risk than a questionable Clark, even a year removed from his ACL injury.

I have a hard time seeing them drop Clark, as they've recruited him for 2 years, offered him over a year ago, and his family even moved to Nashville, as was rumored, to be closer to UK before he ever committed. But recruiting is a fickle business.

I think you’re right that dropping Clark would be a PR disaster. They’re in way to deep. I’d rate that as low odds. I also think you’re right that Wallace is going be seen as a PG or hybrid PG there. Frankly, he’s going to push on breaks here, and will probably run the offense part of the time, and penetrate from the two when he’s there. He isn’t an NBA 2, and I’d assume he’s going to be used to create anywhere he goes.

I think you’re right that dropping Clark would be a PR disaster. They’re in way to deep. I’d rate that as low odds. I also think you’re right that Wallace is going be seen as a PG or hybrid PG there. Frankly, he’s going to push on breaks here, and will probably run the offense part of the time, and penetrate from the two when he’s there. He isn’t an NBA 2, and I’d assume he’s going to be used to create anywhere he goes.

We already have BJ Edwards committed and is a shoe in to play PG once Chandler declares for the Draft.

Not sure how he’ll play PG here unless he takes on SV’s role.

We already have BJ Edwards committed and is a shoe in to play PG once Chandler declares for the Draft.

I don’t think Edwards is guaranteed anything, if Wallace shows up and is the better PG then he will start at PG, not Edwards.

Hasn't the feeling even on this board been that UK is more interested in Nick Smith than Wallace anyway? So why all the sudden panic?

I mean yes, a UK offer does worry me, I won't lie. But if it's true that Smith is a bigger target for them and they feel they're in a better spot with them...then I'm not going to panic about Wallace right now.

Probably by sharing time, and also playing the two. If KC goes undrafted after Freshman year, then it might get crowded.Look to Tony Bennett for how to use more than one ball handling guard.

Probably by sharing time, and also playing the two. If KC goes undrafted after Freshman year, then it might get crowded.Look to Tony Bennett for how to use more than one ball handling guard.
Too many good ball-handlers is never a bad thing. Just look at this past season for us.

Our mild success in competition with UK over the last few years has definitely pumped hot air into some fans' heads.

After watching UT basketball for 25+ years, I wouldn’t call it “mild” success, comparatively speaking to our recent history. Would like to know other schools’ records the last 6 years and how we compare. That said, I get what you are saying.

We are also recruiting at a level we have never seen. There is at least a smidgeon of evidence to support the “hot air.”

It’s far more than mild success when you win more than you lose versus the winningest basketball program in the NCAA. Bruce barely won 23% of them.

Yes, I agree with this. Hardly anyone says that UK isn’t a threat. They will always be a tough game. But this is literally our best 6 year period since I was a few years old, and I don’t see a problem with being confident.

VN Store

Back