'22 TX CG Cason Wallace

I'm not sure I'd call Vescovi near Lofton's level, but I thought cherry-picking McBee and Turner as flag bearers for shooting consistency were curious choices.

Lofton is still 5 percentage points ahead of Vescovi, which is a pretty enormous lead, especially considering how many more 3s he took in his career. In fact, from a pure shooting percentage perspective, Vescovi is closer to McBee and Turner than he is Lofton.
I was referring to simply the consistency mark, not comparing overall %, obviously Vescovi isn’t on Lofton’s level and I’m not remotely trying to say he is..:simply saying from a consistency standpoint which is what OP was saying Vescovi wasn’t he’s much closer to Lofton level of consistency than McBee or Turner.

I think Vescovi has a chance to be that guy. I'm excited to see him off the ball where he should have been all along.

Outside of him, you'd probably be, at least, mildly surprised to hear the rest of the top-5 3-pt shooters (based on %) since Lofton are Schofield (38.7%), Punter (36.2%), Hopson (35.4%), and Bone (35.3%). That is based on players who played >10 mins/gm and attempted a reasonable number of 3-pt shots.
So I will be a little harsh here and say 38%, maybe 37%, should be the minimum percentage...or am I way off in my presumption that an competent 3pt shooter should average about that on at least 3 attempts per game?

Reactions: walkenvol
In 106 career games Lamonte Turner a career 34% shooter, shot 33% or worse in 60 of them, 57%.

In 131 career games Skylar Mc3 a career 35% shooter, shot 33% or worse in 69 of them, 53%.

In 128 career games Chris Lofton a career 42% shooter, shot 33% or worse in 49 of them, 38%.

In 46 career games Santiago Vescovi a career 37% shooter, shot 33% or worse in 20 of them, 43%.

So Vescovi not only is Vescovi much more consistent/not streaky than Turner & Mc3, but he’s also damn near on Chris Lofton level from a consistency standpoint.
My guess is that on a per game basis, Lofton has shot much more as far as numbers go. We are looking at a small sample size comparatively as far as total shots taken, but my guess is Vescovi gets no where near Lofton’s numbers. I hope he does, though. More success for him means more success for the Vols. I teased myself watching his first game against LSU that he was going to hit 55% during his career.

So I will be a little harsh here and say 38%, maybe 37%, should be the minimum percentage...or am I way off in my presumption that an competent 3pt shooter should average about that on at least 3 attempts per game?
Well, just to put it in perspective, of the top-10 shooters in SEC history in terms of total 3s made, only 2 shot below 38%; Chris Warren at 37.1% and Kenny Boynton at 34%. Now, clearly those guys in the top-10 are shooting more than 3 attempts/gm, but suffice to say 38% across a career puts you in pretty good company. I'd call anything above 3 atts/gm and a shooting percentage over 40%, nearly elite. That is roughly 100 attempts per year, and strong mark of consistency. Frankly, if you are that strong of a shooter at 100 attempts, your coach probably would like to see you shoot it 200 times 😄.

Well, just to put it in perspective, of the top-10 shooters in SEC history in terms of total 3s made, only 2 shot below 38%; Chris Warren at 37.1% and Kenny Boynton at 34%. Now, clearly those guys in the top-10 are shooting more than 3 attempts/gm, but suffice to say 38% across a career puts you in pretty good company. I'd call anything above 3 atts/gm and a shooting percentage over 40%, nearly elite. That is roughly 100 attempts per year, and strong mark of consistency. Frankly, if you are that strong of a shooter at 100 attempts, your coach probably would like to see you shoot it 200 times 😄.
Thanks for all the leg work and info!

So I have been a little unrealistic, and my memory is evidently failing me lol.

My guess is that on a per game basis, Lofton has shot much more as far as numbers go. We are looking at a small sample size comparatively as far as total shots taken, but my guess is Vescovi gets no where near Lofton’s numbers. I hope he does, though. More success for him means more success for the Vols. I teased myself watching his first game against LSU that he was going to hit 55% during his career.
Lofton was the best contested perimeter shooter I remember in college and certainly at UT. Without doing Chris level research the only guy I recall being close was Chris Jackson the LSU guard who changed his name after he was in the nba. Still can’t believe there was never a spot in the nba for Lofton

Vescovi averages more 3pta/game than McBee or Turner, but nowhere near the 8 a game that Lofton did lol.

Vescovi will average over 10 points per game, for a top 20 (I think, top 10, but for bTo, I will calm it down) team. Get his usual steals, assists and rebounds. If he starts shooting 40% from 3, I won't be surprised. KC will make him better and he can ball

I know that. I’m aware of that. Are you naturally inclined to criticize and condescend, or do you consciously work at it?
My apologies as I probably did respond too aggressively. Seems like I’ve been defending SV for 2 years on here as IMO he gets criticized unfairly by many. In rereading your posts you weren’t overly critical.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Vescovi will average over 10 points per game, for a top 20 (I think, top 10, but for bTo, I will calm it down) team. Get his usual steals, assists and rebounds. If he starts shooting 40% from 3, I won't be surprised. KC will make him better and he can ball
TBF I think this team will sit around 17-25 most the season in the polls. Too many unknowns with this team to say they will be top 10. Would love to see it though.

VN Store

Back