'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

It's funny. I agree with the people who are aghast that money alone is what gets you recruits now. I totally agree with them, it's an awful feeling to think it's all about the green and not about the team.

But at the same time, these are the rules so many people wanted. They wanted kids to get paid. What did they think was going to happen? "Oh no, they're getting paid too much." Hypocrites. You said the kids deserved to get the money, well buddy, here it is. You can't suddenly blanche and wring your hands. You either wanted control of the process, or you wanted the process to be free. Well it's free now. Congrats. You can either get with it or get left behind it.

These new assistants are very impressive on the recruiting trail ;)
Ehh...I'm still not sold on the assistants. It seems like Spyre won this recruitment as much as any specific assistant. And even if you conceded this victory to them, we still went what, 1 for 12 on our top targets? I'll hold my final judgement for this time, next year, and I'm encouraged about Edwards and Holloway, plus Cadeau and Cyril in 2024.

Ehh...I'm still not sold on the assistants. It seems like Spyre won this recruitment as much as any specific assistant. And even if you conceded this victory to them, we still went what, 1 for 12 on our top targets? I'll hold my final judgement for this time, next year, and I'm encouraged about Edwards and Holloway, plus Cadeau and Cyril in 2024.

Have to remember that there were only two spots available back in the fall. It was a wild ride but I think we ended up with two 2022 recruits we really wanted- Edwards and Phillips.
I know we’ve recruited some other guys like you said but the only one I think we really missed on was Cason Wallace. We didn’t have room for the other guys anyway. I give the assistants an A grade on 2022 class and I agree with you that 2023 looks promising, too. We will see how it plays out.

Have to remember that there were only two spots available back in the fall. It was a wild ride but I think we ended up with two 2022 recruits we really wanted- Edwards and Phillips.
I know we’ve recruited some other guys like you said but the only one I think we really missed on was Cason Wallace. We didn’t have room for the other guys anyway. I give the assistants an A grade on 2022 class and I agree with you that 2023 looks promising, too. We will see how it plays out.
I think that in this day and age that you recruit as if you have more spots than what you show on paper. We certainly recruited as though we had more than 2 spots available. No way in the world we were telling Cason Wallace, Dillon Mitchell, or Brandon Miller, "Sorry, no room." Add to them, Yohan Traore, Ernest Udeh, Jalen Hood-Schifino, etc., etc., etc.

Hard for me to give this staff an A. Even if concede a B for their efforts, it is only salvaged by the fact that they got a mulligan with Phillips. If Wade isn't fired at LSU, and Spyre doesn't offer up what seems like ridiculous money, then he never ends up here.

VN Store

Back