22-23 Roster Management & Lineups

Grahamland

Curious what y'all are thinking in terms of who is starting, who is first off the bench, who is last off the bench, who isn't playing except in trash time, etc.

Here's my thoughts:

Starting:
PG - Jasmine Powell
SG - Jordan Horston
SF - Sarah Puckett
PF - Rickea Jackson
C - Tamari Key

Thoughts (Possibilities for change):
(1) Rickea could be moved to the 3 with Sarah playing the 4.
(2) There is also a possibility Marta takes Sarah's spot to start the year.
(3) It also wouldn't surprise if Jordan Walker gets starting PG at times.
(4) Also another scenario is that Jordan takes over as starting SG and Horston goes to the 3.
(5) I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jasmine Franklin start at the 4 and Rickea go to the 3.
(6) The only FOR SURE locks are Horston, Rickea & Tamari.

Backups in Order:
PG: (1) Jordan Walker & (2) Brooklyn Miles
SG: (1) Tess Darby, (2) Jessie Rennie & (3) Edie Darby
SF: (1) Marta Suarez, (2) Justine Pissott, & (3) Kaiya Wynn
PF: (1) Jasmine Franklin & (2) Karoline Striplin
C: (1) Jillian Hollingshead

What do y'all thing? Let's hear your lineups.

I hope Franklin is her old self! If so, look out! We are deep and athletic. I hope everyone buys in and we stay healthy. And another if so, then we can honestly we the whole thing.
I suspect Franklin's health will make the difference in how much we achieve this season, given all the other talent we'll have on the floor.

My ideal starting lineup:

1. Powell
2. Horston
3. Jackson
4. Franklin
5. Key

If Franklin isn't ready for significant minutes, have her come in off the bench for Key, similar to how Keyen was used this past season. Put Jackson at the 4 and rotate between Darby / Pissott / Puckett / Suarez at 3. Or keep Jackson at 3 and put Hollingshead at 4 (if her knee is ready).

Off the bench:

1. Walker / Miles
2. Darby / Wynn
3. Pissott / Darby / Suarez
4. Puckett / Suarez
5. Hollingshead / Striplin

I suspect Franklin's health will make the difference in how much we achieve this season, given all the other talent we'll have on the floor.

1. Powell
2. Horston
3. Jackson
4. Franklin
5. Key

If Franklin isn't ready for significant minutes, have her come in off the bench for Key, similar to how Keyen was used this past season. Put Jackson at the 4 and rotate between Darby / Pissott / Puckett / Suarez at 3. Or keep Jackson at 3 and put Hollingshead at 4 (if her knee is ready).

Off the bench:

1. Walker / Miles
2. Darby / Wynn
4. Puckett / Suarez
Kelly sounded excited about moving Jordan Walker (Jojo) back over to her natural position (The 2) with the addition of Jasmine Powell. With that said, I think she starts with 5 seniors. Jasmine Powell, Jordan Walker, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, and Tamari Key. With that said, Kelly can start any of the first 10 - 12 players on this team and get really good production from anywhere on the court.

Kelly sounded excited about moving Jordan Walker (Jojo) back over to her natural position (The 2) with the addition of Jasmine Powell. With that said, I think she starts with 5 seniors. Jasmine Powell, Jordan Walker, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, and Tamari Key. With that said, Kelly can start any of the first 10 - 12 players on this team and get really good production from anywhere on the court.
I like the idea of Walker starting at the 2, with Miles first off the bench for Powell. Looking forward to seeing Miles develop at the point and glad we have her lightning speed for a few more seasons.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

1. Powell
2. Horston
3. Jackson
4. Franklin
5. Key

Off the bench:

1. Walker / Miles
2. Darby / Wynn
4. Puckett / Suarez

Franklin is a lock to start if healthy and if so takes us to a higher level with her elite athleticism and ability to disrupt and defend all over the court. Health is the key. We have enough depth to withstand the inevitable injuries but if somehow we can avoid major season ending injuries then watch out. Just hope that everyone buys in to their roles as many of our players may see fewer minutes than they like. I really think our defense will be stellar and will be what can and should help us return to the Final 4.

My starting 5 are Jasmine Powell, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, Jasmine Franklin and Tamari Key.

Next five off the bench

Jordan Walker, Sarah Puckett, Tess Darby, Jillian Hollingshed, Brooklyn Miles

Karoline Striplin, Marta Suarez, Justine Pissott, and Kaiya Wynn are going to have to really elevate their game and key in on ways they can help the team other than scoring in order to get more minutes. Defense and rebounding are going to get you minutes on this team. Everyone is talented, everyone can score, it’s gonna have to be the little things that separate you.

I suspect we will see very little of Edie Darby and Jessie Rennie after the first couple of exhibition games.

Curious what y'all are thinking in terms of who is starting, who is first off the bench, who is last off the bench, who isn't playing except in trash time, etc.

Here's my thoughts:

Starting:
PG - Jasmine Powell
SG - Jordan Horston
SF - Sarah Puckett
PF - Rickea Jackson
C - Tamari Key

(4) Also another scenario is that Jordan takes over as starting SG and Horston goes to the 3.
(5) I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jasmine Franklin start at the 4 and Rickea go to the 3.

Backups in Order:

I like your proposed starting lineup, except I believe Jasmine Franklin will start at the 4 and Jackson will start at the 3.

My starting 5 are Jasmine Powell, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, Jasmine Franklin and Tamari Key.

Next five off the bench

Jordan Walker, Sarah Puckett, Tess Darby, Jillian Hollingshed, Brooklyn Miles

Karoline Striplin, Marta Suarez, Justine Pissott, and Kaiya Wynn are going to have to really elevate their game and key in on ways they can help the team other than scoring in order to get more minutes. Defense and rebounding are going to get you minutes on this team. Everyone is talented, everyone can score, it’s gonna have to be the little things that separate you.

I suspect we will see very little of Edie Darby and Jessie Rennie after the first couple of exhibition games.
I agree with your proposed starting lineup.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Here's my thoughts:

Starting:
PG - Jasmine Powell
SG - Jordan Horston
SF - Sarah Puckett
PF - Rickea Jackson
C - Tamari Key

Backups in Order:

Well thought out and I actually think this is good line up. Honestly, it depends on which matchup’s makes them a tougher team to guard. Hoping everyone gets a long and stay healthy all season. Lady Vols could really take it all. Especially if Tamari Key decides she wants to run the floor and dominate the game and paint on both ends like Lisa Leslie

Coach K has shown her tendencies as a coach who does the unexpected.
She throws a wrench in everybody's expectation.
Exemplified by last year by sticking with Tess when the pretty much everybody had given up on her. Through 11 games as a starter Tess was 13/45 (28%)
Tess started 7 more games and got a little hot during those 7 games 15/37 40%
curiously, as she hit her hot streak, she no longer started??

Starting 5:
Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, Tamari Key, Jordan Walker, Justine Pissott or Jasmine Franklin

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Everyone has made really good points, and I find myself spending a lot of time imagining each scenario.

Right now, there are things we just don’t know, and things we do.
It’s been said that Walker’s natural playing spot is at the 2, so if Powell plays well enough at PG to be the starter, then her backups are Miles and Edie. If not, we may need Walker at PG.

Since Rickea has said she plays the 3 position, I believe that’s where she’ll play, which would put Horston at the 2, with Walker as one of her backups. Since we have several really good player possibilities (with experience there), for the 3 and 4 positions, it makes sense for Horston to play at the 2 spot.

Some things I don’t know are, how well Marta can play now and how soon Justine will work herself into the lineup, but I do believe our Freshmen of last year will make gigantic improvement from last year to this year, especially Karoline Striplin. Sara was generally first off the bench last year, and I believe that will continue. Jillian may do well also, but she was dealing with knee problems last year, so we’ll have to see if she has those problems this year.

Franklin will be a fine replacement for Alexus Dye of last year, and Tamari is the no brainer at the 5 position.

So, agree that first team will be:

Powell
Horston
Rickea
Franklin, and
Tamari

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
if everyone is healthy, I think Kellie goes with a senior laden starting lineup that can create a solid foundation and set the tone for a great game. Also allows her to bring the underclassmen in and out of the lineup while keeping her experienced players warmed up for intense moments.

Powell
Horston
Jackson
Franklin
Key

Having a scorer in Rickea to go along with the all around game that Jordy has is going to be fun to watch. Jordy can take over a game offensively with her passing or her scoring but she definitely prefers to get people involved in the game and she has a partner in Rickea that I think will help people appreciate her game more. Powell as a floor leader is a solid point guard both offensively and defensively. Her shot is honest. Franklin being the offensive beast down low and having a defensive partner in Key to keep other posts out the paint will again just be fun to watch. Tamari as always will be an opportunistic scorer. Very excited to see her development on that end with increased confidence.

Or(if Jackson isn’t healthy)

Powell
Walker
Horston
Jackson
Key

Or

Powell
Horston
Jackson
Hollingshead
Key

First off the bench:
Walker(if she doesn’t start) - able to be first off the bench at the 1 or 2 position
Hollingshead - able to relieve the 4 or 5 and with the game comparisons to KD and Candace… sheesh.
Puckett/Suarez - able to relieve the 3 or 4 position. Both are versatile forwards with a good shot.
Darby - starting experience, solid leader, shooter able to relieve the 2 or 3

After that:
Miles - DEFENSE
Wynn - the fly girl
Pissott - SHOOTERRRRRRR
Striplin - Low post monster

Edie will get minutes because this team is so good that I see many blow outs happening this season. Excited to see her on the court!

Y’all we have ourselves a SQUAD. Legitimately, final 4 potential.

1. Powell
2. Horston
3. Jackson
4. Franklin
5. Key

Off the bench:

1. Walker / Miles
2. Darby / Wynn
4. Puckett / Suarez
Franklin Had that ACL in December. She should be ready to go, but I don't see Kelly pushing her or anyone else if there is any pain anywhere so that we have our best team available for March. Kelly herself would have played through everything and told Pat she was fine, but most kids nowadays aren't built like that.

No matter who we have on the court, our opponents will feel like they are going through the chompers....
the-chompers.gif

Here's my thoughts:

Starting:
PG - Jasmine Powell
SG - Jordan Horston
SF - Sarah Puckett
PF - Rickea Jackson
C - Tamari Key

Backups in Order:

Jessie is out for the year.

Jessie is out for the year.

With so many players….. this will make the coaches ability to play all players a little bit easier . Everyone ( including Jessie ) knows she is a roll player ! This simplifies substitution problems. Maybe Edie can get some minutes?

The real question is will she get to play another year and use up a scholarship? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TnScooby
if everyone is healthy, I think Kellie goes with a senior laden starting lineup that can create a solid foundation and set the tone for a great game. Also allows her to bring the underclassmen in and out of the lineup while keeping her experienced players warmed up for intense moments.

Powell
Horston
Jackson
Franklin
Key

Having a scorer in Rickea to go along with the all around game that Jordy has is going to be fun to watch. Jordy can take over a game offensively with her passing or her scoring but she definitely prefers to get people involved in the game and she has a partner in Rickea that I think will help people appreciate her game more. Powell as a floor leader is a solid point guard both offensively and defensively. Her shot is honest. Franklin being the offensive beast down low and having a defensive partner in Key to keep other posts out the paint will again just be fun to watch. Tamari as always will be an opportunistic scorer. Very excited to see her development on that end with increased confidence.

Or(if Jackson isn’t healthy)

Powell
Walker
Horston
Jackson
Key

Or

Powell
Horston
Jackson
Hollingshead
Key

First off the bench:
Walker(if she doesn’t start) - able to be first off the bench at the 1 or 2 position
Hollingshead - able to relieve the 4 or 5 and with the game comparisons to KD and Candace… sheesh.
Puckett/Suarez - able to relieve the 3 or 4 position. Both are versatile forwards with a good shot.
Darby - starting experience, solid leader, shooter able to relieve the 2 or 3

After that:
Miles - DEFENSE
Wynn - the fly girl
Pissott - SHOOTERRRRRRR
Striplin - Low post monster

Edie will get minutes because this team is so good that I see many blow outs happening this season. Excited to see her on the court!

Y’all we have ourselves a SQUAD. Legitimately, final 4 potential.

Very solid analysis. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
With so many players….. this will make the coaches ability to play all players a little bit easier . Everyone ( including Jessie ) knows she is a roll player ! This simplifies substitution problems. Maybe Edie can get some minutes?

The real question is will she get to play another year and use up a scholarship? 🤷‍♂️

Would think it would be time for her to move on regardless. If she does want to continue playing I could see her doing something similar to Emily and transferring to a program where she can have an impact. Wouldn’t really make much sense for her, or the program, to take up another year of a scholarship.

VN Store

Back