'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

Never thought I’d see us recruiting with the big boys.

Barnes is definitely earning his paycheck.
Of course Barnes had a rep of sending a few to the pros before, but three 3 stars to the pros this year had to have a huge influence: If I am not just a 3 star but a 4 or 5 star, then maybe I can even be a top 15 draft pick
& go to the league after a couple or at least 3 years at Tn?

“(They’re telling me) Tennessee is the school I need to be at,” Chandler said after Thomas committed to the Vols on Monday, “that they want me really bad.
“They feel like Tennessee fits my style, the way Rick Barnes coaches. They feel like Tennessee is the best for me.”

“We’ve got a really good relationship,” Chandler said of English. “He’s been recruiting me ever since they offered, telling me Tennessee is the move. We talk on the phone a lot about the simple stuff, like how my day has been, stuff like that.

“We have a good relationship and I’m looking forward to see what it looks like in the future.”
With Thomas already onboard, Tennessee football is chasing another Briarcrest standout in three-star all-purpose back Jabari Small, a former Ole Miss commit and another longtime classmate and teammate of Chandler’s.

Chandler said Monday that his father coached the trio growing up.
“Ever since we were little,” he said.

“My recruitment is wide open,” he said. “People think I’m going certain places, but no, my recruitment is wide open.”
-Grant Ramey, 247

I know that he is saying his recruitment is wide open, and I'm sure it is, but I feel pretty good with where we're at with him. It's going to be a battle till next December, but I think Thomas and Small both coming to TN doesn't hurt either. He'd be a HUGE get, that's for sure.
I definitely agree, also I know Banchero is a long shot, but I think the key to being in the final decision with Banchero is landing Chandler. They seemed to be pretty close on the visit. Even if we don't land Banchero, I would be more than ecstatic to have Chandler.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Even if we don't land Banchero, I would be more than ecstatic to have Chandler.
Agree 100%. As starving as we are for a highly ranked big man, if it’s an either or, give me the highly ranked ball handler every time. Plus, as you mentioned, Banchero seemed to be very cool with Chandler. If KC jumps on board, that connect could sway a 50/50 with a school closer to home.

Reactions: Willy14
I think it helps Duke is taking a very similar PG in Jeremy Roach in the 2020 class, who likely won’t be a one and done. Chandler would fit great alongside Springer or Keon Johnson if they stay more than 1 year, but he would have to back up Roach more than likely if he went to Duke.

I think it helps Duke is taking a very similar PG in Jeremy Roach in the 2020 class, who likely won’t be a one and done. Chandler would fit great alongside Springer or Keon Johnson if they stay more than 1 year, but he would have to back up Roach more than likely if he went to Duke.
I had actually thought the same thing. Roach apparently had a good showing recently going against Jaden Springer and IMG, though, so maybe he is tracking towards a quicker path.

I had actually thought the same thing. Roach apparently had a good showing recently going against Jaden Springer and IMG, though, so maybe he is tracking towards a quicker path.
I was the one who posted about Roach vs Springer game. While Roach was excellent, he still had some trouble finishing over length and doesn’t have an nba body yet like Springer, I would be surprised if he’s gone after a year. Also, Roach was inclined to flash there as he was playing in front of his future coach (Coach K) and was able to be the primary scorer and have a green light offensively. He didn’t flash nearly as much when fully surrounded with elite athletes at places like the USA basketball camp where Keon excelled

Just out of curiosity what do you mean by they're going to make a statement?
You rarely see coaches go out recruiting after a game, especially somewhere that requires some travel...Barnes and all 3 assistants are going straight to the airport after the game, grabbing a private jet and all 4 gonna walk in to Chandler’s game...that’s a strong move.

You rarely see coaches go out recruiting after a game, especially somewhere that requires some travel...Barnes and all 3 assistants are going straight to the airport after the game, grabbing a private jet and all 4 gonna walk in to Chandler’s game...that’s a strong move.

That's pretty cool. It's going to be a tough battle, but I really do feel our staff has been fantastic with crafting relationships with the players they really want. Hopefully we can win the game on Saturday and come in with a little extra ammunition.

Reactions: Vols All Day
That's pretty cool. It's going to be a tough battle, but I really do feel our staff has been fantastic with crafting relationships with the players they really want. Hopefully we can win the game on Saturday and come in with a little extra ammunition.
I’m curious as to Memphis’ plans, if they are still working on travel and getting home and meanwhile 4 coaches walk in to see Chandler that would also add to the drama. I definitely think Tennessee will be in it until the end, he’s on another level than Springer/James/Johnson as a recruit, this probably will be the toughest pull of them all.

VN Store

Back