'21-'22 Vol Schedule analysis by Athlon

Add the Spring Game to the official schedule. If we field enough linebackers for each squad, call it a win.

I think this offense will be clicking on enough cylinders to give every team on this schedule absolute fits. Even Florida, Bama, UGA for a chunk of each game. Y’all dissing Hooker is a mistake. His ability to plant his foot & run with speed on the outside or power head first for short yardage 1st downs is a game changer in itself. He has many of Dobbs skill sets plus a more powerful arm. With Heupel as his QB Coach it’s hard to think the light bulb doesn’t turn on in his head to take the spot imho.
With that said his big play ability to break open a big run when a play breaks down could be the difference for this offense to get hot. Hooker and Milton both will definitely be the 2 most physically gifted athletes at QB on the roster. Milton is a big man with lots of upside with the right coaching. I think Hooker starts against Bowling Green. Unless Milton comes in and blows it away next fall.
Don’t see Salter here by the fall. Maurer is to inconsistent and injury/turnover prone, and Bailey is a pure pocket passer without that extra running ability.
I think every game is most certainly winnable on this schedule with only the big 3 as losses. Not saying that we win them all. Just saying we ain’t getting our noses broken with our eye sockets cracked into pieces like under Pruitt. The losses by 25 points will be a thing of the past in most games. Heupel is that good of an offensive play caller/schemer.

I think this offense will be clicking on enough cylinders to give every team on this schedule absolute fits. Even Florida, Bama, UGA for a chunk of each game. Y’all dissing Hooker is a mistake. His ability to plant his foot & run with speed on the outside or power head first for short yardage 1st downs is a game changer in itself. He has many of Dobbs skill sets plus a more powerful arm. With Heupel as his QB Coach it’s hard to think the light bulb doesn’t turn on in his head to take the spot imho.
With that said his big play ability to break open a big run when a play breaks down could be the difference for this offense to get hot. Hooker and Milton both will definitely be the 2 most physically gifted athletes at QB on the roster. Milton is a big man with lots of upside with the right coaching. I think Hooker starts against Bowling Green. Unless Milton comes in and blows it away next fall.
Don’t see Salter here by the fall. Maurer is to inconsistent and injury/turnover prone, and Bailey is a pure pocket passer without that extra running ability.
I think every game is most certainly winnable on this schedule with only the big 3 as losses. Not saying that we win them all. Just saying we ain’t getting our noses broken with our eye sockets cracked into pieces like under Pruitt. The losses by 25 points will be a thing of the past in most games. Heupel is that good of an offensive play caller/schemer.
I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison Bailey transfers somewhere close to home like Georgia Tech if he isn't the guy at quarterback for Tennessee.

So 5-7 is your median projection? Just how big of dogs do you expect us to be vs the likes of USCe, Pitt, Mizzou, etc?

I'd say all three are toss ups. With an all new staff in year one with the holes we have I don't like our chances in toss ups. I would guess we win two games out of Kentucky, Missouri, Pitt, and USC but who knows. Maybe we'll run the table on them though. It could happen.

In this scenario, they would only win four games, or possibly only three.

And, would I be right to assume this means the Vols would actually score more points against 3 or 4 of the opponents to arrive at this record?

This seems like the most reasonable estimate on this thread. The Vols have NO proven playmakers, no depth and very little game experience on offense and that's the positive side of the ball. With no run stopper on the interior of the DL and no proven speed rusher, no proven success, experience, or depth at LB, and no real speed in the defensive backfield and absolutely no depth there.......The Vols will have to score in the 40s just to be competitive.

BGSU, Tn Tech, South Alabama are the only sure wins with the talent on this team.

Reactions: GrayWaterCanine
And, would I be right to assume this means the Vols would actually score more points against 3 or 4 of the opponents to arrive at this record?

This seems like the most reasonable estimate on this thread. The Vols have NO proven playmakers, no depth and very little game experience on offense and that's the positive side of the ball. With no run stopper on the interior of the DL and no proven speed rusher, no proven success, experience, or depth at LB, and no real speed in the defensive backfield and absolutely no depth there.......The Vols will have to score in the 40s just to be competitive.

BGSU, Tn Tech, South Alabama are the only sure wins with the talent on this team.
Tennessee will beat Vanderbilt who i think will be 0-8 in the SEC

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
I hope they have a Football Time in Tennessee magazine out this year i'm going to try to order one online.

I could see anywhere between 4-7 wins. It all depends on how much the coaches work together and the players step up and improve. I admit it being the first year of this staff with these players it's just a guess for me. Also,,,they could lose to a team they shouldnt or pull an upset nobody predicts.

I don't expect Heupel to duplicate the success of his UCF O here. I'll believe it when I see it. I know we have speed but I don't think we have the QB to drive it yet.

I don't expect Heupel to duplicate the success of his UCF O here. I'll believe it when I see it. I know we have speed but I don't think we have the QB to drive it yet.
I agree the quarterback Tennessee might be a transfer or a future signee

I think it’ll be 6-6. We might lose early to someone we should beat, but win another we may not be expected to. The timing of the hire and lack of QB at this point could cause a slow start.

But being competitive in every game - even against Alabama and Georgia - would say more than the fools gold 7-5 we got in 2019.

Reactions: Border Vol
Seems most prognosticators have us between 5-7 wins. I have no idea how talented our team is, just because QB has been that bad. 5-7 till it ain't. BG, Tenn Tech, USA, Vandy, Pitt or USCe.
Our expectations for the next 5 years should be at the bottom winning 6 games at the top warm climate bowl game...we are falling further and further behind our rivals in talent and even the best coaches can't make that big a difference imo

I think it’ll be 6-6. We might lose early to someone we should beat, but win another we may not be expected to. The timing of the hire and lack of QB at this point could cause a slow start.

But being competitive in every game - even against Alabama and Georgia - would say more than the fools gold 7-5 we got in 2019.
I wouldn't say 2019 was fools gold................................just my opinion

If a QB emerges we're looking at 7-8 wins and Heupel has some momentum going into recruiting season. If not, we're looking at 4-5 wins and Heupel looks like another bad hire.

MUST. HAVE. QB.

You could put Peyton in at QB and 5 to 6 wins is your ceiling with this team. Defense will be all time bad. Offense is average and wont be helped by practicing against such a soft D.

Reactions: Backwards K

VN Store

Back