21/22 Line-up Options

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
Looks like there are a lot of ways we can go with the line up next year. Our weakest position is pg because they can't shoot. They really need to work on this area over the summer. I also have a very strong opinion that anyone in the 4 position also needs to be able to shoot threes. Too often last year our offense was futile because Key, KK, and JH did not even need to be guarded any further out than 15ft. This makes things very easy for the defense.

So here are some different ways we could line up.

Traditional Depth Chart:

1 Walker, Horston, Miles
2 Burrell, Wynn, Darby, Rennie
3 Suarez, Puckett
4 Dye, Striplin, Green
5 Key, Saunders

Small Ball (when Key is out):
1Walker
2Horston
3Burrell
4Suarez
5Green

The Offensive Spark:
1 Burrell
2/3 the 2 best defenders out of Darby, Puckett, and Striplin
4 Suarez
5 Key

If I was scouting against our team, the only player that scares me on offense is Burrell. The rest are high quality role players. So I want the ball in Burrell's hands; as much as possible the offense should run through her on most possessions. I would be coaching her up as a scorer/distributor this summer. I would have her study LeBron and Doncic's passing off of dribble drives and off of the screen game. I would run a lot of the high screen game with Key rolling to the basket or Suarez screening and popping out. Teach Burrell if you aren't doubled, score. If you are doubled, find your open teammate... either Key to the basket or a deadly shooter from 3. As you can see, it all falls apart unless you have 4 shooters or the floor.

Looks like there are a lot of ways we can go with the line up next year. Our weakest position is pg because they can't shoot. They really need to work on this area over the summer. I also have a very strong opinion that anyone in the 4 position also needs to be able to shoot threes. Too often last year our offense was futile because Key, KK, and JH did not even need to be guarded any further out than 15ft. This makes things very easy for the defense.

Traditional Depth Chart:

1 Walker, Horston, Miles
3 Suarez, Puckett
4 Dye, Striplin, Green
5 Key, Saunders

1Walker
2Horston
3Burrell
4Suarez
5Green

The Offensive Spark:
1 Burrell
4 Suarez
5 Key

If I was scouting against our team, the only player that scares me on offense is Burrell. The rest are high quality role players. So I want the ball in Burrell's hands; as much as possible the offense should run through her on most possessions. I would be coaching her up as a scorer/distributor this summer. I would have her study LeBron and Doncic's passing off of dribble drives and off of the screen game. I would run a lot of the high screen game with Key rolling to the basket or Suarez screening and popping out. Teach Burrell if you aren't doubled, score. If you are doubled, find your open teammate... either Key to the basket or a deadly shooter from 3. As you can see, it all falls apart unless you have 4 shooters or the floor.
I think after you get past ten players it is pine city for the rest unless were in a big lead or get in some kind of unusual foul trouble. The quality depth is there this coming season however more than any other Harper team. If they can produce as expected we'll have players that are mostly efficient for the full 200 minutes of the five positions that you need to win games.

Traditional Depth Chart:

1 Walker, Horston, Miles
3 Suarez, Puckett
4 Dye, Striplin, Green
5 Key, Saunders

1Walker
2Horston
3Burrell
4Suarez
5Green

The Offensive Spark:
1 Burrell
4 Suarez
5 Key

I think you are way underrating Horston and Key. I expect them both to make big strides this summer (like Rae) and be All SEC next year.

Walker
Horston
Burrell
Dye
Key

Suarez first off the bench to either have Rae slide to the 2 spot or to replace Dye at the 4. Same situation with Striplin and Puckett. Green is coming off another injury, I don’t expect a lot. Darby comes in as back up 2/3. Wynn backs up 2/3. Miles backs up Walker.
With another year, teams DEFINITELY should be afraid of the others abilities offensively. Horston and Key are raw offensively and were just now beginning to be more aggressive so look for more of that. Walker isn’t afraid to mix it up. Dye can score. And Suarez wasn’t bad at all prior to getting hurt. I also have faith in the new girls.

Also, because our defense and pretty top notch I think there will be much more time to spend on offense.

We won’t suck y’all.

Traditional Depth Chart:

1 Walker, Horston, Miles
3 Suarez, Puckett
4 Dye, Striplin, Green
5 Key, Saunders

1Walker
2Horston
3Burrell
4Suarez
5Green

The Offensive Spark:
1 Burrell
4 Suarez
5 Key

I am betting on Darby becoming a very important player in the line-up. She had limited opportunities this season but I like what she showed. She hit threes, crash boards, and is a decent defender. For the last few years, our presumed outside scoring threats had been fatal defensive liabilities which has meant they were no threat at all. Darby is going to change that.

I think you are way underrating Horston and Key. I expect them both to make big strides this summer (like Rae) and be All SEC next year.

Lucy, until Horston can hit the 10-15 footers regularly, she should not be a starter...She has been decent off the bench...I'll give her that.

As a young man, I had a car that looked like it was a bad (hush your mouth) car, but it was all show, with very little go...It was good for picking up the ladies, but I got ate up by the local hot rods whenever we went hood to hood....

Horston looks like she should be all world, but until she stops making those ESPN high lite passes, that too often go astray, she will be what she has been; a very inconsistent player.

Last edited:
Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Lucy, until Horston can hit the 10-15 footers regularly, she should not be a starter...She has been decent off the bench...I'll give her that.

As a young man, I had a car that looked like it was a bad (hush your mouth) car, but it was all show, with very little go...It was good for picking up the ladies, but I got ate up by the local hot rods whenever we went hood to hood....

Horston looks like she should be all world, but until she stops making those ESPN high lite passes, that too often go astray, she will be what she has been; a very inconsistent player.

I like you... But i would like to point out she actually cut her turnovers down drastically this year compared to last year. So while she had turnovers she showed improvements.

Her jump shot needs work! hopefully she can get thah in this summer if she has allowed herself time to heal from her back and other injuries!

I am betting on Darby becoming a very important player in the line-up. She had limited opportunities this season but I like what she showed. She hit threes, crash boards, and is a decent defender. For the last few years, our presumed outside scoring threats had been fatal defensive liabilities which has meant they were no threat at all. Darby is going to change that.

Totally agree mad....
Darby has a hell of a nice shooting form/stroke....Looks like she was made for the 3 ball...Her development was extremely hampered by shin splints...Let's hope she is OK now.

I like you... But i would like to point out she actually cut her turnovers down drastically this year compared to last year. So while she had turnovers she showed improvements.

Her jump shot needs work! hopefully she can get thah in this summer if she has allowed herself time to heal from her back and other injuries!

I know what you are saying has merit, but she has a long ways to go before she sleeps..

They all have a long ways to go ... that’s part of the fun is the journey. I know what you’re saying about her shot but she was one of the few also not tk be a liability on the defensive end

The journey, yes, the journey.

One summer I hitch hiked across America....Started in San Diego and ended up in Myrtle Beach SC....I lost a golf bet and my wager lost was I'd hitch hike across America and play him in Myrtle Beach....I lost there too....

I was a golf hustler, and to my surprise, he was too...He didn't fall for my distractions....LOL.
Got him later at Pebble Beach....The golf view distracted him, and I brought along my very attractive female companion...He didn't have a chance....Hell of a game.
images

She also doesn’t turn the ball over and she’s an excellent passer

KJH lineups, especially early in a season, are hard to guess. She surprises, and experiments.
Walker
Horston
Burrell
Dye
Key
Marta and Green first off bench.

Y'all really think we're going to have any success starting 4 crappy shooters?
I don't think Key's a completely crappy shooter, though her ability to miss open lay ups is pretty uncanny. I think she's more a reluctant shooter. I want her to be way more aggressive offensively.
I would love for Jessie to find her shot.
I'd love for anyone to find their shot consistently.
Burrell is the only + shooter in that lineup.
And she isn't always, and when she's off she's way off.

Overall, they really have been a pretty crappy shooting team, especially from long range. That's why I can't keep Dye out of the starting lineup. Averaged 27 pts per game while shooting 49% fm the field! Mid major I know, but jeeze, these are unheard of numbers in these here parts. How did she avoid taking a single three in 28 games? Not even a halfcourt heave a halftime?

They better be. SEC is not slowing down around us folks. Both have shown such tantalizing flashes.
They all have a long ways to go ... that’s part of the fun is the journey. I know what you’re saying about her shot but she was one of the few also not tk be a liability on the defensive end
The PG journey stoped being fun for me a while back. And has not been addressed so far. Walker and Horston simply must make fewer t.o.s and especially be way better shooters.

KJH lineups, especially early in a season, are hard to guess. She surprises, and experiments.
Walker
Horston
Burrell
Dye
Key
Marta and Green first off bench.

I don't think Key's a completely crappy shooter, though her ability to miss open lay ups is pretty uncanny. I think she's more a reluctant shooter. I want her to be way more aggressive offensively.

I'd love for anyone to find their shot consistently.

And she isn't always, and when she's off she's way off.

Overall, they really have been a pretty crappy shooting team, especially from long range. That's why I can't keep Dye out of the starting lineup. Averaged 27 pts per game while shooting 49% fm the field! Mid major I know, but jeeze, these are unheard of numbers in these here parts. How did she avoid taking a single three in 28 games? Not even a halfcourt heave a halftime?

They better be. SEC is not slowing down around us folks. Both have shown such tantalizing flashes.

The PG journey stoped being fun for me a while back. And has not been addressed so far. Walker and Horston simply must make fewer t.o.s and especially be way better shooters.

Maybe so but for all the s*** Jordan catches it seems like her progress in that area got very little love...

I like you... But i would like to point out she actually cut her turnovers down drastically this year compared to last year.!
She also played six fewer games this year. Both Horston and Walker are 3 t.o. per game players so far. Unfortunately, so is Burrell and so is Dye, our new player. We'll probably break 30 at some point next season.

Jordan did have an impressive number of assists in a shorter season and therefore a good a/t.o. ratio, so that's encouraging. I really do think she's going to improve alot this offseason, there's just no reason why she shouldn't.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back