2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Yes, very disappointing. It seems the Sparks are not using Rickea to score. I guess she’s doing what they have told her to do, she’s spreading the defenders out by staying in a corner, waiting on a pass that never comes. She is not running toward the basket without the ball, so there are no passes that way either.

On defense, Rickea seems so intent on guarding or blocking out her opposing player, that sometimes a player shoots the ball, and Rickea doesn’t even see it, or attempt to get the rebound, because she is watching her player, and her back is to the basket. I have seen one or two times (not in this game), where someone passed the ball to Rickea, and she caught it, but could do nothing with it, because she wasn’t ready for the pass. Seems like she’s playing some without keeping up with where the ball is. Also, if players are going to screen for you, why run past the screen (not in this particular game), you need to be able to stop and shoot quickly behind your screen, if possible.
I don’t like it either I wanted her in Chicago😭..it’s curt,it might be a certain way he wants her to play

If the Sparks keep playing like this, I’m wondering how many games they can win. Brink won’t always make multiple 3s, and they’re wasting Rickea‘s scoring talent.
There's growing talk of the Sparks tanking this year to get the point guard (Buekers?) they need so badly next year in the draft. It would be hard to tank enough to be worse than the Mystics, but sometimes it looks like that's the Sparks plan, The offensive 'scheme' is ball hog hero ball featuring mid players, and the subbing pattern makes Kellie look like a strategic genius. It's a real shame for RJ, you'd think they'd still want to develop her instead of sending her to the corner like a naughty school kid. I half expect to see her with her nose in a circle on the blackboard!

The Sparks are scrappy though, all their losses have been close, even to the Aces. Had an impressive comeback last night.

Also, Brink is so impressive but will she ever be able to stay out of foul trouble?

Last edited:
Rickea has great hands. Last year, in college, she averaged 8.1 rebounds per game, and we know she can score anywhere near the basket. Right now, the Sparks are using her to defend and block out when she’s near the basket, wish they’d use her to rebound and put back shots. She has a great determination to score when she’s under the basket, and if she gets fouled, she makes her foul shots.

This was my first time to watch a game on the WNBA App. The game production was clear, and all I was interested in. The rest was sort of a shock, a lot of hollering, dancing, rap (I think), and crowd shots. The Sparks were obviously trying to get children and the crowd revved up. I can see why men might not want to watch all that, I just muted everything but the game. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: krichunaka
This was my first time to watch a game on the WNBA App. The game production was clear, and all I was interested in. The rest was sort of a shock, a lot of hollering, dancing, rap (I think), and crowd shots. The Sparks were obviously trying to get children and the crowd revved up. I can see why men might not want to watch all that, I just muted everything but the game. 🤷‍♀️
Been to a college game lately? They're also LOUD! Sterl the Pearl, the LVs DJ, is ear splitting. All I can hear is distortion. Old Man me wants to wear ear plugs. I wish they didn't feel compelled to entertain me every minute. I do like a good old fashioned halftime show like Frisbee Dogs or Trampline Dunking.

Was surprised the Sparks had 10,000 for the game. I thought the crowds would go when CC went. Hard to see that keeping up if the Sparks don't start winning. OTOH, Atlanta drew just 3,200 for their game against a very good Minnesota team. W attendance is hard to figure out. Outside the draw of CC and of AR, it's unpredictable still.

Been to a college game lately? They're also LOUD! Sterl the Pearl, the LVs DJ, is ear splitting. All I can hear is distortion. Old Man me wants to wear ear plugs. I wish they didn't feel compelled to entertain me every minute. I do like a good old fashioned halftime show like Frisbee Dogs or Trampline Dunking.

Was surprised the Sparks had 10,000 for the game. I thought the crowds would go when CC went. Hard to see that keeping up if the Sparks don't start winning. OTOH, Atlanta drew just 3,200 for their game against a very good Minnesota team. W attendance is hard to figure out. Outside the draw of CC and of AR, it's unpredictable still.
Atlanta's stadium capacity is about 3500, so 3200 is pretty good. Better to fill up a small stadium than leave a huge one with tons of empty seats, imo, but there are definite downsides to having such a limited capacity

Atlanta's stadium capacity is about 3500, so 3200 is pretty good. Better to fill up a small stadium than leave a huge one with tons of empty seats, imo, but there are definite downsides to having such a limited capacity
I like a small gym atmosphere if the crowd is small. Teams are moving games to bigger arenas when ticket demand increases. Not sure why demand stays so low for Atlanta. Looks like average crowds for non CC or Angel games is about 7-9K, which is a typical LV crowd size.

Reactions: LVsinceJV

Claraden went out at halftime last game with a head injury so Rickea started the second half. If LC is under concussion protocol, RJ could start tonight. Would sure solve a problem for Curt M the easy way. She had her best game against the Fever last week and fans are screaming for her to start and be more involved. We'll see.

Jordy's team vs Angel's team should be interesting. Both up and coming teams.

Claraden went out at halftime last game with a head injury so Rickea started the second half. If LC is under concussion protocol, RJ could start tonight. Would sure solve a problem for Curt M the easy way. She had her best game against the Fever last week and fans are screaming for her to start and be more involved. We'll see.

Jordy's team vs Angel's team should be interesting. Both up and coming teams.

Excited to finally have some games before my bed time 🥱

I think Brink and Rickea are exciting for Sparks fans to watch, plus the games have been close. Winning more games seems possible, and maybe just around the corner, with 2 very attractive rookies still getting acclimated.

This is one of the things I detest about CC. That was the most laughable, ridiculous crumble flop ever, and she gets rewarded for it. She's been awful but helped by the friendly whistle.

Rickea posted up and scored the first time she touched the ball, and has only touched it one time since. LA is a total one on one team and Hamby and Brown just do not pass it to RIckea.

I think Rae has taken her minutes tonight - 3-point shooting gave LA their lead, so keeping Rae, Nurse (on a night she's hitting), and McDonald out there makes sense.
Only in the last little while. RJ started and had 9 pts in the first half, played alot and very well. Has 11 pts total. Rae just came in hot and so RJ didn't get back in when she normally would. But she showed she should be starting earlier. Rae has been the spark for sure!

Brink has been MIA tonight. Hope the Sparks can hang on.

Rickea just came back in.

VN Store

Back