2024 TRANSFER TRACKER

For a first season yes. Not unrealistic to think higher after but takes a season to get her system and players familiar with it all that can effectively execute it.
Especially when your going to have every player starting out not familiar with it. That's just reality.
Yep, that is the reality of the situation. Everyone is brand new and it’s going to take some time to gel. I hope we can stay ranked and surprise a few teams. I still think we need some roster upgrades through the portal this year and I’d be very happy if she filled out the entire 15 scholarships. Currently, we’d only return possibly 6 players the second year which again would be a whole new roster of players learning a new system.

King is a guard she is listed as a guard on the portal rosters and the Pitt roster. Whitehorn is not a three point shooter she is over 50 percent from the two and shot a higher percentage than Nye on all field goals. Hunter was a freshman huge potential and three years to play. Lawrence does it all her game would be awesome here. Gardner is a 2-3 that shoots the three as well as Nye. So everyone can have an opinion, but Whitehorn was ranked number 15 by Hoopgurlz in 2022 and Gardner was ranked number six in her Hoopgurlz class.
The thing with all of these is they are maybes, could bes, looks like they should be. Lots of potential here, no doubt. But I was hoping, probably unrealistically, for at least one portal player, hopefully two, that are proven on this level. Like Nye. Very possible we won't get that and will just see how the others develop as we go along. I do think if we don't get that player our chances of being competitive in the upper ranks of the SEC take a big hit.

Now there's 6'4" Spearman, but I still share your worry about post presence. I thought 6'2" Latham was more of a forward.

Also after this season, both Puckett and Hollingshead will be gone. We absolutely must get a quality post or two fm high school recruiting.

I also share your thought that we won't always, or often, dictate style of play and have to flexible. IMO that was one of Arkansas downfalls, the inability to adapt their style.

Reactions: alexvol
Yep, that is the reality of the situation. Everyone is brand new and it’s going to take some time to gel. I hope we can stay ranked and surprise a few teams. I still think we need some roster upgrades through the portal this year and I’d be very happy if she filled out the entire 15 scholarships. Currently, we’d only return possibly 6 players the second year which again would be a whole new roster of players learning a new system.
I think that's now every team every season. With the portal. In today's Era, you essentially have a new team each year. It's who can do the most with that new team in short time

Players come to every school to learn their system, ours is no different. We either get it done or we don’t.

The thing with all of these is they are maybes, could bes, looks like they should be. Lots of potential here, no doubt. But I was hoping, probably unrealistically, for at least one portal player, hopefully two, that are proven on this level. Like Nye. Very possible we won't get that and will just see how the others develop as we go along. I do think if we don't get that player our chances of being competitive in the upper ranks of the SEC take a big hit.
Which ones are not proven? King has played four years at Pitt, Whitehorn proved herself this season, Gardner proved herself at Oregon St, Lawrence played four years at a smaller school , but I bet she could run rings around Nye. One is a highly rated freshman not proven but a good get.

I think that's now every team every season. With the portal. In today's Era, you essentially have a new team each year. It's who can do the most with that new team in short time
I think teams can plan on adding in 3 to 4 new additions every year with the portal, but I’m not sure adding 6,7, or 8 players in a year like it would be in the first two years be ideal. You want some continuity in your program and if you are having half a roster turnover each year, I think that spells trouble.

I think teams can plan on adding in 3 to 4 new additions every year with the portal, but I’m not sure adding 6,7, or 8 players in a year like it would be in the first two years be ideal. You want some continuity in your program and if you are having half a roster turnover each year, I think that spells trouble.
Well you can’t guarantee anything, since players can transfer as many times as they want.

Dazia Lawrence - Women's Basketball - Charlotte Athletics Last season but 36 or higher the other three overall 34 average. Hunter I got wrong, but she is a freshman and don't know what Nye shot as a freshman, but bet it wasn't 41
Got ya. It’s interesting that she only took 16 3 pointers total her first two years, but it jumped up to 75 in junior year and 112 in her senior. I’m not quite as sold on her as you, but I get where you are coming from.

Well you can’t guarantee anything, since players can transfer as many times as they want.
You are correct about guarantees. You want to upgrade where the roster where you can, but you aren’t seeing that many transfers out of the top teams this year at least on the women’s side. I think UConn has had two enter or maybe three? Not sure SC has had anyone enter. ND has had 1 or 2. Not even sure Stanford had many although Kiki was a huge piece. JMO but when you get up to replacing half your roster, I’m not sure that is sustainable.

Reactions: glv98
If you all can’t see the better skill and athleticism being added to the roster and a better system leading to the possibility of an SEC title and deep run in the NCAA tournament then good for you. If this team stays healthy and competes for four quarters they are already better than this past season and recent years.

The dose of reality is folks on here always predict devastation and destruction which never even comes close to the truth.

I’ll go out on a limb today and say next season team will win between 22-24 regular season games.
Hope you’re right, that would be a start in the right direction. Hopefully CKC can get the most out the players because former couldn’t consistently. With the new system and new coaching staff might just bring the best out of them. I do know that some really need to be shooting a lot better when it’s game time

Disagree. I don't remember particularly play in the post being anywhere near as physical back in the day as now. One of things that's made the game so hard to ref now is the degree of pushing, riding, and overall wrestling that's now allowed in the post away from the ball. Back in the day those were all fouls.
And I disagree. Coach Summit's teams were built on rebounding. Rebounding is all will, toughness, and physicality. Tennessee was known for having cornbread fed ladies. I could also say the same thing about Izzo teams on the men's side. The game of basketball in general is way less physical now than it used to be, you can't even handcheck anymore. Prime example is the foul called on Edward's in the final four. They're not making that call in 80's, 90's, or early 00's.

People don’t seem to realize they was coming anyway since the previous staff already had them set to visit and likely to commit.
Exactly! And Latham would've committed last season before going to Syracuse but the staff was waiting for a few other players to decide that were ranked higher than her so her offer was a conditional one and therefore instead of waiting (which I don't blame her) she chose to commit to Syracuse. She wanted to be a Lady Vol and I don't think who the coach was mattered. It is because of that, I am hoping Nyla recommits and fulfill her dreams of being a lady vol as well but it will be a tougher sale now.

Exactly! And Latham would've committed last season before going to Syracuse but the staff was waiting for a few other players to decide that were ranked higher than her so her offer was a conditional one and therefore instead of waiting (which I don't blame her) she chose to commit to Syracuse. She wanted to be a Lady Vol and I don't think who the coach was mattered. It is because of that, I am hoping Nyla recommits and fulfill her dreams of being a lady vol as well but it will be a tougher sale now.
Agreed, and if Nyla commits I’m sure Chastain will come back as well. And we will get other top recruits to follow because Nyla will bring them.

Agreed, and if Nyla commits I’m sure Chastain will come back as well. And we will get other top recruits to follow because Nyla will bring them.
Yep! Nyla was trying to get everyone to play with her here and she will continue to do so, just hoping we can get her back committed and establish a relationship with Coach Caldwell because something tells me when its all said and done in the final rankings she is going to be a Top 10, McDonald's All American and I would hate for us to miss out on that.

How many years before they both reopen their recruitment was Nyla and Finley verbally committed to Tennessee?
My understanding is two years.
How do you know any recruits would follow them now that didn’t follow them before under the previous staff?

How many years before they both reopen their recruitment was Nyla and Finley verbally committed to Tennessee?
My understanding is two years.
How do you know any recruits would follow them now that didn’t follow them before under the previous staff?
Finley hasn't been re-offered by the current staff. Nyla has. Thus far Nyla is the only HS recruit to be re-offered, at least publicly, by the current staff

Finley hasn't been re-offered by the current staff. Nyla has. Thus far Nyla is the only HS recruit to be re-offered, at least publicly, by the current staff

That didn’t answer the question. I stated before they reopened their recruitment, how many years were both Nyla and Finley committed?
By my understanding two years.
Therefore, if recruits were going to follow them and they had been committed for two years why hadn’t they already given the previous staff a verbal commitment?

VN Store

Back