2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the cynicism, I really do, but I'm thinking this is a marathon and not a sprint...this staff will have to earn some credibility with recruits before the big big names start rolling in. And I'm not saying they won't earn this credibility by way of some big power 5 wins this year (before all of the super enthusiastic crowd jumps all over this), it's just not an immediate flip of a switch to get back to the top.
I agree to an extent, but feel certain that Coach Caldwell and Staff will, and probably should, to some extent, operate with a sprinter's mindset. Her contract, nor her natural demeanor will allow for any other approach. If ever there were a here-and-now situation ...this is it.

From a distant view of our recruiting to date, I think that with Alyssa Latham, we already have the makings of a high quality, if not elite (that dreadful word) basketball player. Another way of putting it is, whether it be Alyssa or someone else, Kim and Company will more likely build our first star/super star player(s) from the roster. Though, I expect that none of us would complain about a bombshell signing.

He did, but I'm keeping my own expectations where I think they are fair to Kim and co...not gonna be in a world of fanatic frustration based on what might be a bit high of a bar set by the higher ups
I know he was trying to hype everyone up about the hire but I also thought that was a bit unfair to our new coach.

To be fair any athletic director who didn’t say our goal is a championship would be run out of town. We are the lady vols after all.

Here's what DW said:
We talked about—spinning off our chancellor's comments from earlier this year—as a university, we are good but want to be great. Sometimes the enemy of great can be good. As a women's basketball program, we want to get back to competing for Southeastern Conference and National Championships. Our student-athletes have that ambition, and we are not on a three-, four- or five-year plan; they talked about wanting to win next year. We wanted to make sure we are positioning ourselves to be competitive right away.

He didn't exactly promise a championship in year 1, but he did say he expects to be competing for one next year, not on a 3, 4, or 5 yr plan. We can parse what "compete" for a championship means; technically everyone who plays SEC games is competing for a championship. To me, by this quote he definitely said he and the players expected to be in the actual hunt for championships next year. Which IMO was a totally irresponsible, horrible boss thing to do to the new coach given the current circumstances.

Kiki Visiting South Carolina next week. That would be a better fit and probably another natty for them. Would prefer to see her at SC over USC because I want the best for a really great player like that.

But dang, if she comes to the SEC it just gets tougher. This league is gonna be crazy tough next season.
That’s why we need to go get all the best player can

Reactions: brittannica
Here's what DW said:
We talked about—spinning off our chancellor's comments from earlier this year—as a university, we are good but want to be great. Sometimes the enemy of great can be good. As a women's basketball program, we want to get back to competing for Southeastern Conference and National Championships. Our student-athletes have that ambition, and we are not on a three-, four- or five-year plan; they talked about wanting to win next year. We wanted to make sure we are positioning ourselves to be competitive right away.

He didn't exactly promise a championship in year 1, but he did say he expects to be competing for one next year, not on a 3, 4, or 5 yr plan. We can parse what "compete" for a championship means; technically everyone who plays SEC games is competing for a championship. To me, by this quote he definitely said he and the players expected to be in the actual hunt for championships next year. Which IMO was a totally irresponsible, horrible boss thing to do to the new coach given the current circumstances.
Love the English language because I don’t read what you do.

I talk about winning the lottery every time it is a Billion dollars and I buy a ticket but wanting and expecting are very different. Then he follows up with we want to be competitive right away and that is a long ways away from expecting a championship next year. But the ones mad about CKJH being gone and Coach Kim being here do y’all and put words in DW’s mouth.
they talked about wanting to win next year.

Dauda in the portal now. Arkansas not even going to be able to field a team.

She’s one we need to look at. We’re gonna have to fight Kim Mulkey for her. I know she was mad she lost her to Arky the first time.

Is Neighbors being fired or what? What’s going on in Fayetteville?
I LOVE Dauda's game and thought when we played them this year that if she transferred, would love to have her at Tennessee. She's an elite shot blocker who can also stretch the floor (and hit free throws as a post player).

Love the English language because I don’t read what you do.

I talk about winning the lottery every time it is a Billion dollars and I buy a ticket but wanting and expecting are very different. Then he follows up with we want to be competitive right away and that is a long ways away from expecting a championship next year. But the ones mad about CKJH being gone and Coach Kim being here do y’all and put words in DW’s mouth.
Definitely all open to interpretation. For me, it's when he said "no 2, 3, 4, yr plan" that he clearly set the expectation the team would be in serious competition for championships in the upcoming season. Sounds like he expects them to move fm "good to great" immediately, therefore surpassing last year's results. To me that was a unneccessary overpromise that puts extra pressure on the new coach. If they don't finish top 3 or 4 in the SEC they will not have lived up to his expectations.

Please provide the quote if you can. Believe this is Lucy once again making it up on the fly hoping it sticks. Every coach should be competing for championships or they shouldn’t be coaching.

View attachment 636806
Found it. I think she's referencing this
"we are not on a three-, four- or five-year plan"

"We wanted to make sure we are positioning ourselves to be competitive right away."

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back