2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenna Burdette
I would say she has never been in contact with many of what Hoopgurlz says is their top 100. Why would she any of them looking at Marshall as a school pick? I am sure they were recruiting more in state and trying to get the best players they could that way. I don't know what the new coaches plans are for recruiting JMO I would stay with Williams give her a special title like Recruiting Coach etc. and let her work all the contacts she has developed. Unless she has someone better in mind and not another Marshall Assistant.

Do you all think it would be a good idea for the staff to include a qualified assistant of color.

Seems like with this offensive system we will need some folks that can rebound. If a lot of 3 balls will be shot there will be plenty of offensive putback opportunities.

Do you all think it would be a good idea for the staff to include a qualified assistant of color.

Seems like with this offensive system we will need some folks that can rebound. If a lot of 3 balls will be shot there will be plenty of offensive putback opportunities.
How has she built her other staffs?

but they've had four first round WNBA picks
Right, which shows that they were likely going to get picked anyway. Of the four, 3 of them were top 10 HS recruits (including Horston and Jackson). So Burrell was really the only first round WNBA draft pick who wasn't a highly rated HS player to start with.

Don’t care 2,3 or 6. Coach C needs a P5 elite recruiter. This is my big fear that she thinks she can bring her recruiter from GSU and Marshall. Do not repeat Kellie’s mistake on this!
She should have a pocket full of money and get who she wants

Coach C is already in contact with recruits. She implied that at the press conference. She said that everyone is now replying to her text that did not answer her before. I bet she knows and has known who the elite players are. They just were not interested in Marshall. Just like when she went from DII to Marshall, more players considered her. That is how she turned Marshall around quickly.

Coach C is already in contact with recruits. She implied that at the press conference. She said that everyone is now replying to her text that did not answer her before. I bet she knows and has known who the elite players are. They just were not interested in Marshall. Just like when she went from DII to Marshall, more players considered her. That is how she turned Marshall around quickly.
Technically, she didn't say who she was texting. She could have meant potential staffers. Or portal players. We don't know,

But I did notice her saying at some point in the news conference yesterday something like "we need to start working on the portal" or some such, which made me wonder if she had even had time to make any texts or calls yet. Maybe, maybe not. Right now she's swirling in a tornado of activity, probably with a literal thousand items on her to-do list.

Thankfully her husband will be free to handle the physical logistics parts. Selling their current home, buy a new one, moving... all huge jobs.

Now that she has one staffer on board, maybe they'll be getting busy PRONTO. But then again, there's no telling how much time the new staffer will need to get herself down here and available for work, either.

This is hard. On me. lol

She was definitely hinting at recruits are now responding back to her text!

She was definitely hinting at recruits are now responding back to her text!
I hope you're right!

Now that I think more about this specifically, it does make more sense that she was talking about recruits instead of potential staffers because I doubt she would have that many adult-coach-to-adult-coach texts be ignored, but possibly lots of texts to recruits and their handlers filtering out who and who not to respond to. So, now that she's in the news and is a hot commodity, the kids aren't as likely to ignore her.

Fingers crossed she's already making inroads with a few! 🤞

So you are saying our recruiting and on court product has not gotten worse each year. Must be watching different games than me. Our defense was atrocious last 3 years. We probably led the country in layups allowed. Unexcusable to allow as many easy shots as we did. Obviously Kellie didn't hold anyone accountable for allowing players to drive by our players time and time again and shoot layups. It was embarrassing to watch!! Pat probably turned over in her grave!!

Mercedes Russell …. Could not even move towards a player driving to our goal fast enough to even foul the player much less block their shots ! I believe that Key protected a little better in the last few years ! Just Saying

Reactions: VolBall09
I don't have any specific news but thought it would be good to have a thread just on this topic. One name mentioned is Gracie Merkle at Bellermine. Not sure if she is in the portal but tall girl with good scoring and rebound stats. Sure hope all our current players stay.

I don't have any specific news but thought it would be good to have a thread just on this topic. One name mentioned is Gracie Merkle at Bellermine. Not sure if she is in the portal but tall girl with good scoring and rebound stats. Sure hope all our current players stay.
This will probably get merged with the Transfer Portal 2024 topic.

I hope you're right!

Now that I think more about this specifically, it does make more sense that she was talking about recruits instead of potential staffers because I doubt she would have that many adult-coach-to-adult-coach texts be ignored, but possibly lots of texts to recruits and their handlers filtering out who and who not to respond to. So, now that she's in the news and is a hot commodity, the kids aren't as likely to ignore her.

Fingers crossed she's already making inroads with a few! 🤞
The University will make this easy on her. There is already an admin support staff in place. They will put her up in a hotel suite or university housing, take care of all meal expenses etc so that she can concentrate on getting recruits coming in and staff selected. Its probably easy for her since she just went thru this recently at Marshall.

Daherdboy here. First time poster. Big Marshall fan and especially Olympic Sports fan. Always sat on the first row behind the WBB bench during games.
Just want to pass on some info. about what the Tennessee fans have to look forward to with Kim Caldwell as the new coach. She's the real deal, a hard
worker and treats her players right. Now, it will take some time to get this new offense and defense in place and running smooth.

First is conditioning the team. Players would be ahead of the game to start before the fall to get in shape, and I mean the best shape of their lives.
Kim will tell the players that they will hate her in the beginning of the season but love her at the end of the season. Once in shape learning the
"Organized Confusion" style of defense and "Helter Skelter" offense will look a little odd at first but when its right, it will all make sense.

The fans will need Patience with this new team. I know Tennessee fans want to win every game but the first few games will be a "Work in Progress" until
it all starts to click with the players. Now, the substitution pattern of 2-3 minutes on and off the court may seem a little odd for basketball but after the
players "Buy In" to the style and are giving 110% effort for that 2-3 minutes, they will be ready for a quick catch your breath, sip of water, towel to the face
and back into the game. That's how Kim's team can keep a fresh 5 on the court all the time.

Marshall had only one player 6' 1"....,, the rest were shorter (What Kim was delt with), every team was taller and Kim had to deal with it in her defense, but
she did. Should not be a problem at UT. She made average 3 point shooters good 3 point shooters, good 3 point shooters better 3 point shooters, and
better 3 point shooters great 3 point shooters.

Once the team "Gets It" in the new Offense and Defense, you will know it. No opponent will be use to this style of play and they will try to prepare for it
in a few days, but it's easier said than done. No one will be in better shape than Tennessee. By the middle of the 3rd quarter most team will start to wilt
and will have to sub in second line players. UT will still be fresh with their Race Horse Style of Basketball. It's an enjoyable game to watch when it run
correctly. Now, if teams start moving out and guarding the 3 point shooters, that leaves a lot of open space inside for the bigs to be able to work.
Having at least 2 good ball handling guards is a must to run this offense and to start the trapping defense and of course 3 point shooters.

So, there's a quick and dirty overview of Marshall's last year offense and defense.

I will be looking for UT to be on TV so I can watch them run teams off the floor like The Herd did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back