2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I hope I'm wrong and made out to look like a fool, but as much as I want to go with the hype, I just don't get it with Lanier. He had one decent season at North Florida. He also had 3 seasons there contributing under 5 pts. I'm not as sure he will be able to create and get to the rim like he did a UNF.
Just watch his film and you’ll understand.

Reactions: BisonVol
Gotta be honest. He'd be a great addition, but I'd rather finish out with Lanier and Igor from the portal and Anderson to be ZZ's successor.

We have 13 scholarships to fill.

Returning 6: ZZ, Gainey, Cade, JP, Mashack, Carr
Projected 6: Bishop, Dubar, Felix, Lanier, Igor, Anderson

Still will have 1 since Tyson went UNC.

Reactions: CAVPUT
We have 13 scholarships to fill.

Returning 6: ZZ, Gainey, Cade, JP, Mashack, Carr
Projected 6: Bishop, Dubar, Felix, Lanier, Igor, Anderson

Still will have 1 since Tyson went UNC.

Deadline to portal is coming up on May 1, so in 3 days we’ll be aware of our options for such a spot

Reactions: knoxvol52
I hope I'm wrong and made out to look like a fool, but as much as I want to go with the hype, I just don't get it with Lanier. He had one decent season at North Florida. He also had 3 seasons there contributing under 5 pts. I'm not as sure he will be able to create and get to the rim like he did a UNF.
The NBA agent that was working out with him and his Elite skills trainer in Nashville have posted several of his updated workouts the last month... Chaz Lanier without a doubt would be able to get his shot off and create in the SEC. That's my opinion based on what I keep seeing time and time again...

And I was kind of the opposite of you I did not see Cade Tyson being as great of a fit at Tennessee as Lanier, for several reasons....

And his story is incredible sort of. Zeigler"ish" / Knecht"ish" type of a story.... He was never the man who had the red carpet laid out for him all through high school and college... That brother had to work his butt off to get where he is every step of the way......

The fact is he was one of the most efficient players in all of college basketball and he has the ability to handle the ball as a veteran with college experience to help Ziegler out - Z averaged just over 31 minutes a game this past year and I see people saying he averaged up over 35 minutes a game which is not true... He will get right around 31 minutes of game again as a senior and Lanier provides us with a reliable dude who can take some of that pressure off of Z ..so he's not just a help in the scoring department... He's a specific team need that we would benefit greater as a team with his skill set over a guy like Tyson

Hope you’re right and time will tell. Lanier has to get on campus, first, but I don’t think he will stay in draft.
It will be interesting to see if any other names pop up on the radar as a contingency to Lanier. That may reveal more than anything where we stand.

Wow, we contacted Norchad?? That would be a very interesting and good get. Wonder what he’s looking for
I don’t know but a guy who’s averaged a double double 2 seasons will be pricey lol. Would obviously love to have him, and pitching a Grant Williams role with freedom to shoot the 3 is a good way to go.

Not that this matters. Just for the ones that like rankings/ratings.

If my math is right, and we land Igor and Chaz. Our avg. recruit rating would be 93.25 which would be 5th behind Indiana, Kansas, UK, Bama and tied with Ole Miss. (Only because Igor is rated so low for whatever reason)

If my math is right, and we land Igor and Chaz. Our avg. recruit rating would be 93.25 which would be 5th behind Indiana, Kansas, UK, Bama and tied with Ole Miss. (Only because Igor is rated so low for whatever reason)
Still would have room to get better too with like 2-3 more spots open too right?

Reactions: TrippieRedd

Honestly, I feel like I know what we're getting with Okpara, but guys like Dubar, Igor and even Lanier are making a big jump in competition. Regardless of any ratings, there are no guarantees.....at least in my mind.

Reactions: b_gann
Honestly, I feel like I know what we're getting with Okpara, but guys like Dubar, Igor and even Lanier are making a big jump in competition. Regardless of any ratings, there are no guarantees.....at least in my mind.
This was my concern with Tyson, there other guys produced against higher level teams where as Tyson seemed to struggle... Although 2 years with Barnes and I'm sure he can help

Reactions: CAVPUT and b_gann
Lanier has solid tape but it didn't wow me like DK's did. When I saw him last year, I was in shock. Couldn't believe we were able to land him.

I wasn't blown away by Lanier and his speed on tape. However, I thought he looks like a really smart player who will fit right in our motion system. Looked like his school ran a lot of similar actions. I think he'll make a solid G for us. Hope we can get him.

I wouldn’t consider it a big jump knowing the competition they faced, it is a jump but good basketball is good basketball. I can watch 3mins of Lanier’s film and know he won’t have any trouble scoring in the SEC

Coach Barnes is probably going to play a nine man rotation. So, they will probably finish out the recruiting, after they sign Igor and Lanier, with players that they can develop for the future. Anderson and Mabor would be two great players to develop for the future. imho
Agree, we're at an ideal spot assuming we land all the names. I think Gainey will run backup PG.

ZZ - Gainey
Lanier - Gainey - Carr
Mashack - Carr
Igor - Dubar
Okpara - JP

No guarantees, for sure. But don’t worry for one minute about Igor being ready for a jump in level of competition.

Here’s 9 minutes of his post ups from this year —scoring and assists.

He doesn’t try to back his defender down a lot of the time and he doesn’t have to set up low in the post. He talked about his work at improving his post up numbers by abandoning parts of his game that weren’t productive, if you have a subscription to the Athletic:

To a certain extent we can hope our players do the same. They’re still young and adding new skills but they still need to be aware of what does and does not make for an efficient play.

I guess it depends on your definition of postup. I'm talking about low block posting up like you saw from Tobe Awaka drop step, jump hooks, up and unders. What Porzingis does looks TO ME like a mid-range turn around jumper.

VN Store

Back