2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I noticed how Jon Rothstein is including Igor as part of our official roster in his latest update from a few minutes ago. Don’t think he’d do that unless he has it on good sourcing that he committed to us even without a formal announcement.

Weird that he would rank us barely in the top 25 with Igor, Felix, and Dubar all accounted for

I understand it takes time for a team to gel but hard for that to not to look like a top 15 team

Weird that he would rank us barely in the top 25 with Igor, Felix, and Dubar all accounted for

I understand it takes time for a team to gel but hard for that to not to look like a top 15 team

Yeah. I thought 23 felt a bit low as well. But I guess he sees Okpara as a downgrade from Aidoo and Milicic as maybe a lateral move from JJJ. Then you lose DK. And we have a bunch of question marks on the bench that us fans expect to be good, but I can see why an outsider may not.

I think if we land Lanier we’ll be top 15 almost everywhere, but right now there are definitely a lot of question marks on how good this team can be that I think makes sense to me why he might not be too high on us yet.

Another thing I noticed from his highlights that he actually tries to dunk everything like he’s 7’0 instead of trying to lay it in.

Aidoo always seemed hesitant around the rim.
Aidoo was 47-56 from dunks last season, Okpara was 47-53. Y’all gotta stop trying to rewrite history just because he left.

It’s tough to cover this topic without stepping on his privacy… Without sharing too much, I can say that Tobe was by far the most serious off the court, and highly dedicated on the court. He was not a part of the core click of friends, by his choice and theirs. Aidoo was very social, silly, playful etc. Awaka perceived that as not committed, and he was ready to go by the end of the year. When Aidoo left, they asked him to rethink it, and he did. Ultimately the damage is done and he’ll be better off starting over. He is definitely not a bad kid, not a traitor, not a locker room cancer etc. He was just all business and didn’t like the returns that was getting him. I hope he fits wherever he lands.

I appreciate the insight, but I would think it would be hard to find another team elsewhere that will be more serious and professional than the group we had this year, so it’s still a bit of a head scratcher, but I wish Tobe well, especially if he’s outside of the SEC

Last edited:
Reactions: LaagerVol
Someone might want to tell him he’s not a take so he can cancel his visit before the weekend.
Admittedly, the visit may be a matter of convenience because his mom will already be in Knoxville for the Hall Of Fame ceremonies. But still, he's visiting and for your 12th or 13th scholarship, you can do a lot worse than a kid who won the A-Sun ROY award, led his team in scoring averaging 14.5 ppg, and shot 38% from 3 as a 6-9 SF.

He's not a great defender, but he played for a team that doesn't emphasize defense, either. Central Arkansas gave up 78.2 ppg and no one on that team had a positive defensive box +/- nor a defensive rating below 107. Just as an example, everyone except JP Estrella was at 100, or below, for Tennessee last year. With 3 years of eligibility plus a redshirt, he can be taught to be a better defender by a staff that emphasizes defense.

On the rebounding front, he only averaged 3.7 rpg, but our main 3s (SG/SF) only averaged 3.7 (Vescovi) and and 4.9 (Knecht). Again, you can teach a kid to be a better rebounder. And as his teams leading scorer, it isn't unreasonable for his rebounding to be down given he was the primary shooter/scorer and played on the perimeter. You can't just look at his height and say, oh he should aversge at least X number of rebounds. His position and offensive role matters. At Tennessee, he will be more free to crash the boards. The hope is that he'd add 20-25 lbs and be able to contribute more in that area with less offensive responsibility, added strength, and better coaching.

Why do we need a coaching staff to evaluate players when we have @StPeteVFL to let us know who should and should not be on the roster? He must be a scout for the Orlando Magic with all of his absolute evaluations.🤣🤣
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but his is one I just don't agree with in this case.

Well because it wasn’t confirmed until about 45 minutes ago lol. Was just saying for the “Basilio just recycles information crowd.”
When did Basilio say that? I listen almost every day and don't remember it, which isn't to say he didn't say it. Just that when he thinks he knows something, he beats his audience over the head with it, so hard to imagine I'd have missed it on repeat.
Basilio just said on his show that Lanier did not have a Do Not Contact tag and that he's concerned that Maryland (maybe others) to get involved and turn this into a bidding war.

That seems to be contrary to everything else we are hearing, and also contradicts the idea he has been saying that Lanier would enter with a tag.

I appreciate the insight, but I would think it would be hard to find another team elsewhere that will
be more serious and professional than the group we had this year, so it’s still a bit of a head scratcher, but I wish Tobe well, especially if he’s outside of the SEC
I’ve been in that spot of being on a team but not really feeling like you’re part of the team before. It’s tough and sometimes you just need a change of scenery. It’s not that anyone involved necessarily did anything awful but sometimes you just don’t gel with a group and if you’re away from your support system on top of that? I get it. I wish he would have stayed but I get it.

Aidoo had right at twice as many attempts last season. That means Okpara was 2x as likely to attempt a dunk.
That’s one way to read that. Another is to say he’s incredibly limited offensively. I’m not trying to neg Okpara, I’m just saying you can be happy about him without saying he’s better than Aidoo, because he’s simply not at this stage.

Basilio just said on his show that Lanier did not have a Do Not Contact tag and that he's concerned that Maryland (maybe others) to get involved and turn this into a bidding war.

That seems to be contrary to everything else we are hearing, and also contradicts the idea he has been saying that Lanier would enter with a tag.
That was in his blog, too. I can’t figure out why he’s saying that. Every tweet I saw on the topic included that he entered with the tag.

I think the idea is how many shots did Aidoo miss because he tried to lay the ball in instead of dunking it. Finesse vs power.
Aidoo shot 63% at the rim last season, Okpara shot 70%. This “Felix dunks everything and Aidoo was soft!” idea is based on all of us watching Aidoo every game for 3 years and then watching a 5 minute highlight reel of Okpara’s best moment

That’s one way to read that. Another is to say he’s incredibly limited offensively. I’m not trying to neg Okpara, I’m just saying you can be happy about him without saying he’s better than Aidoo, because he’s simply not at this stage.
The post you quoted didn't insinuate that Okpara was better than Aidoo, though. It feels like you may have read that into it. It simply noted that he tried to dunk everything while Aidoo played a more finesse brand of basketball. Nothing wrong with that and it isn't a dig at Aido, nor is it saying that it makes Okpara a better player. Just perhaps a more aggressive player.

Aidoo shot 63% at the rim last season, Okpara shot 70%. This “Felix dunks everything and Aidoo was soft!” idea is based on all of us watching Aidoo every game for 3 years and then watching a 5 minute highlight reel of Okpara’s best moment
There is certainly an element of truth to the level of familiarity Tennessee fans have with noth players, but 70% over 63% is pretty significant. A 7% difference is noteworthy.

I love not seeing UK on this list lol.

Hate seeing that Sears, Broome, and Wade Taylor are still in the SEC. All 3 should be the favorites for SEC POY.
Sears has declared while retaining eligibility. He may or may not be back. Same for Nelson.

Ranking Bama 3rd right now seems weird.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
The post you quoted didn't insinuate that Okpara was better than Aidoo, though. It feels like you may have read that into it. It simply noted that he tried to dunk everything while Aidoo played a more finesse brand of basketball. Nothing wrong with that and it isn't a dig at Aido, nor is it saying that it makes Okpara a better player. Just perhaps a more aggressive player.
Right but I’m saying the underlying numbers don’t really bare that out, the YouTube video certainly does, but the numbers don’t. I haven’t watched Aidoo’s transfer portal sizzle reel but I imagine it shows him throwing down a bunch of dunks and lobs too, but we watched him twice a week for the last 3 years and know that’s not always reflective of the reality of his game.

Okpara was 47-53 from dunks last year and 87-116 “at the rim” so while he’s still an accomplished close range finisher he’s also not “dunking everything”

VN Store

Back