2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Take away the option and see how many give up schollie on hope of improvement. Would for sure minimize NIL shopping with ZERO return leverage.
The spirit behind the idea isn't bad, but what it would do is increase the amount of tampering that takes place. You'll see a lot more Aidoo blindside entries once they reach an agreement behind the scenes.

Take away the option and see how many give up schollie on hope of improvement. Would for sure minimize NIL shopping with ZERO return leverage.

It’s a good point, although a lot of players who enter are of the caliber (and likely think very highly of themselves) that they’re not too worried about finding a spot.

Reactions: knoxvol52
It’s a good point, although a lot of players who enter are of the caliber (and likely think very highly of themselves) that they’re not too worried about finding a spot.
Yeah, you're right. I thought the free one-time transfer was a fair compromise, and perhaps allowing further transfers if a coach leaves, a school is investigated for cheating, or a player graduates with an additional year of eligibility left to exhaust as a grad transfer. But like most things in life, we couldn't leave well-enough alone.

Yeah, you're right. I thought the free one-time transfer was a fair compromise, and perhaps allowing further transfers if a coach leaves, a school is investigated for cheating, or a player graduates with an additional year of eligibility left to exhaust as a grad transfer. But like most things in life, we couldn't leave well-enough alone.

The ability to transfer every year empowers their ability to negotiate on deals. It helps them reach fair market value.

I think ultimately, contracts are the next logical solution.

The ability to transfer every year empowers their ability to negotiate on deals. It helps them reach fair market value.

I think ultimately, contracts are the next logical solution.
I understand why they did it. I just don't know why they did it without regard for how to properly manage it. Because I agree that contracts are likely to come, along with unionization, collective bargaining, etc. In the meantime, though, it's just a dumpster fire.

He meant 4th year overall, I believe. He spent a year at Northwestern.

I guess I'd have the same questions about JCJ that I have about Chaz Lanier. What took them so long to produce at a lower level, and with only one year of eligibility, how long will it take them to translate success to the highest level? Felix Okpara has played two seasons of Big10 basketball. What would he look like in year 4 at Middle Tennessee State? My guess is probably very similar to JCJ and a better defender.

In the Big10 as a sophomore, he shot 61% from 2. JCJ shot 45% from 2 in CUSA as a senior. It's pretty clear that the offense ran thru him in the paint as a primary option (more so than Okpara), whereas tOSU was much more perimeter-oriented and used Okpara as a rebounder and putback guy (much like Awaka for Tennessee).

In short, JCJ had much more offensive opportunity in a weaker conference than Okpara and is two years older. If they traded places, their numbers might look a lot different.
Hmm, for some reason ESPN career stats only shows the 3 years at MTSU.

Hmm, for some reason ESPN career stats only shows the 3 years at MTSU.

Oh man...apparently he's actually entering his 6th year of college.

4 at MTSU (1 with no playing because of COVID)
1 at Northwestern

Oh man...apparently he's actually entering his 6th year of college.

4 at MTSU (1 with no playing because of COVID)
1 at Northwestern

OK well that explains it. He redshirted his sophomore year at MTSU but ESPN mistakenly lists his freshman year at MTSU, not Northwestern. Looks like he will be 24 later this year.

I understand why they did it. I just don't know why they did it without regard for how to properly manage it. Because I agree that contracts are likely to come, along with unionization, collective bargaining, etc. In the meantime, though, it's just a dumpster fire.
You could do NIL multi-year contract without the nasty part of unionization, CB and university employee.

Sign an NIL deal that owns your rights for 3 years and you can only get paid if you do it at University x. You can only void contract via mutual agreement. Of course that kind of contract would require NCAA to get their head out of their ASCII.

Reactions: LaagerVol

VN Store

Back