2024 Transfer Portal Thread

NIL is really getting crazy. Aidoo to Baylor for north of $1M ?

That's more than Knecht got at UT. That's fine for some players but I question Aidoo being worth that.

IMO NIL budgets should be roughly equal to coaching salaries.

Baylor’s staff combined salary is probably $8-$10M a year I’d guess.

Putting $1M of that budget toward a proven, All SEC Center sounds about right.

People saying certain players are not worth a million dollars don't follow professional sports. If your selling your arena out good players are potentially worth millions not a million. This is where college sports is headed. So many are still in denial about this. I know I'm just now starting to realise this myself.

Aidoo is a bonafide scrub. The only thing he's proven is that he will disappear in any big game that you need him and brick everything inside 15 ft. If that's worth $1M to Baylor then they can have at it.

Aidoo is a bonafide scrub. The only thing he's proven is that he will disappear in any big game that you need him and brick everything inside 15 ft. If that's worth $1M to Baylor then they can have at it.
That’s why Baylor, UNC, Kentucky and Alabama are going hell for leather recruiting him, because he’s a “bonafide scrub”?

A bonafide scrub? He was 2nd Team All-SEC behind Johni Broome and Tolu Smith. He had a miserable 2 game stretch in the NCAA Tournament and he often drove me crazy, but there is a reason multiple big time P6 schools are clamoring for him. You can argue he shouldn't be worth $1M, but if that's what he gets, he was worth that much for the school that gets him.

People saying certain players are not worth a million dollars don't follow professional sports. If your selling your arena out good players are potentially worth millions not a million. This is where college sports is headed. So many are still in denial about this. I know I'm just now starting to realise this myself.
You're comparing apples to oranges in the current environment, though. These kids aren't professional athletes (yet). On the surface, in the landscape of college basketball where Dalton Knecht is worth $500k, Jonas Aidoo isn't worth $1 million. But at the end of the day, you are worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for your services. If Baylor believes JA is worth that money, then that's what he's worth, I guess.

You're comparing apples to oranges in the current environment, though. These kids aren't professional athletes (yet). On the surface, in the landscape of college basketball where Dalton Knecht is worth $500k, Jonas Aidoo isn't worth $1 million. But at the end of the day, you are worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for your services. If Baylor believes JA is worth that money, then that's what he's worth, I guess.
The apples to oranges thing probably applies to trying to compare NIL worth in different seasons as well, due to the exponential growth of NIL money. A player of Aidoo’s caliber might not have commanded $1 million last year but this year he does

Agree, but the figures are about to sky rocket. Think 1980's pro sports. Salaries went from 3 or 4 hundred thousand to multi millions quick.

Reactions: cncchris33
I know I harp on this unnecessarily, but 23 NIL market for top players was probably 1/2 of 24 comparables. Knecht’s apple is priced in 23 dollars, and Aidoo is trading in the current (inflating) market. The wisdom seems to be very primitive now with the focus being entirely at the top of the market. No one is playing Billy ball to find value. Time will tell if this strategy is right or not. It typically works in a nascent market, and moreso in a sport like basketball where stat distribution can cluster. I’d be curious where this year’s trend began. Somehow a concentrated set of basketball schools simultaneously decided they have the ability to buy a championship. I guess it isn’t that revelatory. If the NBA had no draft rank, lottery, contracts or caps, any team could build a winner immediately with money. If the only equalizer is wealth, we’re in for a bad run for college sports.

To be fair, DK wasn't SEC POY and a Naismith Finalist when he was deemed worth $500k either.

Aidoo hit the market at arguably his highest value. NABC Second Team All-District, First Team All-SEC (AP), Second Team All-SEC (Coaches), SEC All-Defensive Team and coming off his best season in his career.

I can guarantee you if DK was in the portal after the season he had this year in no world would anyone land him for $500k.

Reactions: walkenvol
Those declaring that Aidoo isn’t worthy of $1,000,000 are going to go ballistic when Nico Iamaleava has his NIL compensation renegotiated later this year.

To be fair, DK wasn't SEC POY and a Naismith Finalist when he was deemed worth $500k either.

Aidoo hit the market at arguably his highest value. NABC Second Team All-District, First Team All-SEC (AP), Second Team All-SEC (Coaches), SEC All-Defensive Team and coming off his best season in his career.

I can guarantee you if DK was in the portal after the season he had this year in no world would anyone land him for $500k.
No, I agree, but Aidoo isn't SEC POY and a Naismith finalist, either. DK would absolutely be a higher value, now, with his credentials (assuming he had more eligibility), but he was one of the most sought after players in the portal last year, too. We were fortunate to land him, and equally fortunate that he wasn't necessarily seeking the biggest payday. DK is a rare breed in that regard. He valued development and guidance as much as an immediate payout.

The apples to oranges thing probably applies to trying to compare NIL worth in different seasons as well, due to the exponential growth of NIL money. A player of Aidoo’s caliber might not have commanded $1 million last year but this year he does
Agree, but the figures are about to sky rocket. Think 1980's pro sports. Salaries went from 3 or 4 hundred thousand to multi millions quick.
I know I harp on this unnecessarily, but 23 NIL market for top players was probably 1/2 of 24 comparables. Knecht’s apple is priced in 23 dollars, and Aidoo is trading in the current (inflating) market. The wisdom seems to be very primitive now with the focus being entirely at the top of the market. No one is playing Billy ball to find value. Time will tell if this strategy is right or not. It typically works in a nascent market, and moreso in a sport like basketball where stat distribution can cluster. I’d be curious where this year’s trend began. Somehow a concentrated set of basketball schools simultaneously decided they have the ability to buy a championship. I guess it isn’t that revelatory. If the NBA had no draft rank, lottery, contracts or caps, any team could build a winner immediately with money. If the only equalizer is wealth, we’re in for a bad run for college sports.
All fair points. My apples to oranges comment was meant more to reflect that college sports and professional sports are not the same thing, right now, outside of the players getting paid.

Professional sports has contracts, guardrails, and in most cases a salary cap, and players are explicitly paid for the athletic ability. In college, it's a free for all, wild west environment where players are implicitly being paid for their athletic ability, just not directly. No guardrails, no structure.

I agree college sports is likely headed that direction. I actually hope so because once the powers that be quit pretending like this isn't pay for play, the sooner we can build structure around it and level the playing field.

And yes, it's correct that NIL endorsements have skyrocketed. Making a 2023 comparison to a 2024 comparison wasn't the best example.

Reactions: ColinS
No, I agree, but Aidoo isn't SEC POY and a Naismith finalist, either. DK would absolutely be a higher value, now, with his credentials (assuming he had more eligibility), but he was one of the most sought after players in the portal last year, too. We were fortunate to land him, and equally fortunate that he wasn't necessarily seeking the biggest payday. DK is a rare breed in that regard. He valued development and guidance as much as an immediate payout.
How highly do you recall DK being ranked as a portal prospect? My recollection was not a top 5 type but maybe I’m misremembering?

Tennessee was selling out its arena before NIL so how does NIL now benefit Tennessee. The answer is it doesn’t. They now have to do it to compete but the NIL process does not benefit Tennessee financially.

VN Store

Back