2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Not to discount your personal experience, but the possibility of Aidoo leaving was discussed exactly a year ago by CNCChris, and ongoing since, and Mashack and Awaka since before the holiday. The Awaka possible return was brought up two days ago by BTO, and Basilio today. Basilio gets things from everywhere, but I’m positive from past experience, that this is one of those sources.
Of all the info that Tony gets, I trust his basketball stuff the most. I do believe he has contacts in that realm. That being said, I do agree that some of his stuff he checks on and confirms with those sources comes from here first.

Also I'll be honest, I feel like we saw the ceiling already for Aidoo this season.

Awaka I think there is still more room to grow. He's consistently been a more efficient scorer (59.1% FG in 2 years) and he made huge strides with his FT shooting this season and shot 74.2%.

Obviously he has things he has to work on but he really just needs court time I think.

Aidoo fouled out of more games than Awaka this year too.
Fwiw, Awaka's foul rate (7.6 per 40 minutes) was more than twice that of Aidoo (3.5). Jonas played twice as many minutes and was the better all-around player which accounted for why he fouled out of more games.

Scored & rebounded better than Aidoo in both games though.

I’m not saying Awaka should start, but definitely want him back. I have been prepared for Aidoo to leave, he almost left last year. I thought he’d leave for the draft, but maybe he didn’t have enough production this year.

Either way I want Awaka to withdraw and we don’t lose anyone else. DJ, Freddie & Aidoo, best of luck.
He outscored him by 3 points in double the minutes on similar efficiency. Neither was good on offense

He’s never going to be a go to guy dominating the post but he’s got potential. He’s one of the best offensive rebounders in the country.

Aidoo sophomore season (per 40 min)
11.1 pts, 10.7 rb, 2.8 blk, .507 fg%

Awaka sophomore season (per 40 min)
15.6 pts, 14.0 rb, 1.9 blk, .591 fg%

If Awaka were to make a jump in his 3rd year similar to Aidoo, watch out.
My question is how much of a jump could he realistically make

Every single player Barnes develops the 3rd year is when we see the jump.

Admiral, Grant, Aidoo, Santi, ZZ, JJJ, Olivier, Pons…

So I am optimistic Awaka’s best is yet to be seen. I also think we’ve got a better chance of him withdrawing than any other player in the portal.

I think he could very easily be a 20mpg 8-9pts 7-8rbds guy, and that’s not even a jump, that’s just playing more minutes.
Oh yeah I completely agree. I just don’t want him starting. I’m perfectly fine with him getting all the tweener minutes with 4/5 in a rotation or whatever you want to call it

I think he could very easily be a 20mpg 8-9pts 7-8rbds guy, and that’s not even a jump, that’s just playing more minutes.
How realistic is it that Awaka withdraws from the portal now that we have no post depth or so you think it’s more realistic that we go portaling for another post?

He held up against Kalkbrenner/Edey defensively in the tournament but was atrocious offensively against them. Couldn’t handle length at all. Didn’t really have any moves except just going into the post defender and then when he got stuck he just threw up bad shots trying to get it over length. That was something that caught my attention. I just have too many questions for him to start personally
In the tournament he played 57 minutes, scored 25 points, grabbed 18 rebounds, and blocked 2 shots. Those aren’t atrocious numbers?

Fwiw, Awaka's foul rate (7.6 per 40 minutes) was more than twice that of Aidoo (3.5). Jonas played twice as many minutes and was the better all-around player which accounted for why he fouled out of more games.
the problem is Awake is the size of a 4 playing a 5 position. This past year, we did not have a real 4 on the floor most of the time. Unless we get a couple of 4s or 5s from the portal,
Estella

Go get him. Need him badly.

He held up against Kalkbrenner/Edey defensively in the tournament but was atrocious offensively against them. Couldn’t handle length at all. Didn’t really have any moves except just going into the post defender and then when he got stuck he just threw up bad shots trying to get it over length. That was something that caught my attention. I just have too many questions for him to start personally
Yep. Fans keep expecting change, the light coming on... eventually, etc. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it just doesn't. Everyone felt Vescovi would snap out of his funk.... eventually but he didn't. Folks thought JJJ and Aidoo's up and down/disappearing acts would end but they didn't either. Fans being fans want to project the best outcome and while I can respect that, I just don't think it's something you can count on in this case. Aidoo and Awaka are simply the players they are. Plus they're in the portal. Get the best replacements you can and move on. If Awaka does want to return, he'd be a nice bench player in much the same role he had this year. I'd wager he's going to be the same player again next year no matter who he's playing for. Might be a bit better, but he'll likely still be foul prone and limited on minutes.

My question is how much of a jump could he realistically make
At worst in my opinion, if Tobe just minimized his over the back fouls which is where he usually gets into trouble, he is at minimum equal to a Jeronne Maymon type of player who not that long ago was at 10-11 pts and 8 boards per game. At best I think Tobe can be as good as Jarnell Stokes who got alot of touches and was a 15/10 guy in his final year. Both players were comparable size to Awaka but I think he is more explosive than both. His FT% improved dramatically and his lateral mobility improved quite a bit from frosh to soph years. I think his upside for a college player is pretty high. Folks suggest he can't shoot from 15 feet yet his FT% was significantly better than Aidoo. He can extend to 15 feet but the paint is where he belongs.

His issue is just number of minutes and coaching can help him on his foul problems. I also don't think we can dismiss some perspective and the situation he was in this year. When you know you are only going to get 10-15 minutes per game, I think alot of it was simply him wanting to make plays while he had a chance. If he is being counted on for 20-25 minutes per game, I doubt he would be as careless.

Probably irrelevant discussion given he is in portal, but would love to have him back. Guy definitely isn't afraid. Surround him with perimeter shooters like Dubar, Tyson, Lanier and Zeigler, 3 of which I think have ability to put ball on the floor and penetrate and it would be interesting. JP is going to play alot of minutes even if Tobe came back.

If he goes anywhere, I hope he goes to UCONN. He would be a beast at UCONN. Probably will see him in the Final 4 just like we saw other former post players UT recruited, DJ Burns and Tariq Owens.

He’s still 19 years old - probably lots of room for improvement.
I'm there with you walkenvol. I don't know what championship games other folks have been watching over the past decade, but you don't need 7 footers in the paint to win it all. You need tough serviceable post play, but it is a guard's game for the most part. Awaka has an uncanny skill and talent in his ability to rebound the ball, most importantly on the offensive end. He is very efficient in the paint and just needs to continue to develop post moves and desire to face up and hit short jumpers occasionally. Make FT, which he did at a decent rate this year and understand game management better.

Otherwise post players on championship teams the last 10 years:
2024 - obviously Clingan was huge, particularly defensively
2023 - Sanogo was a 6'9 post who was very good and played 30 minutes in championship game
2022 - McCormack at 6'10 was really Kansas' only post and had a good game in the final game but was otherwise the 4th leading scorer for the season.
2021 - Baylor had 4 guard lineup who dominated the game and their post player filled a spot
2020 - COVID won the championship. Their post player got sick.
2019 - Virgina had Diakite who was 6'9 and 225 was a role player
2018 - Villanova had undersized, yet strong and tough post players (sound familiar?)
2017 - Even UNC who routinely has bigs won their last championship with Meeks 6'10/260 at starting center who was 3rd option on the team, and a thin Tony Bradley (frosh off the bench) who both lived in the paint.
2016 - much like 2018, Villanova played 3 guards and had tough interior players. Ochefu was 6'11 but was maybe a 5th option and only played 23 minutes per game.
2015 - for Duke, Okafor at 6'10/260 was a handful in the post and over the last decade was by far the best post player on a championship team by a large margin.

I think we are in race between Dubar and Tyson. They both seem to be looking at similar schools between NC and TN.

VN Store

Back