2024 Transfer Portal Thread

There are nemerois examples of guys coming here and becoming better shooters and scorers. They have been discussed plenty. Barnes has a track record of improving players offensive skill set despite the narrative that he makes people scared to shoot.
I think it depends on the person. The player needs a little renegade in them to keep shooting. The ones that take the coaching....seem to be negatively effected.

PG Zeigler
SG Lanier ?
F Mashack
F Crews ?
C Aidoo

Bench
G Gainey
G Carr
F Awaka
C Estrella

Prospects
G Boswell
F Phillips

Breakout or Transfer candidates
G Dillione
F Jefferson

Imo looks like a JJJ guard/forward hybrid and a scoring guard are our two biggest needs. Crews and Lanier would be perfect. Think 1 or both of those bottom guys leave. I'd like to bring in a late bloomer Freshman prospect if so ala ZZ. Would leave us potentially 1 more spot.
Assuming we keep/lose most of the suspected folks...

ZZ/TBD (Hopefully Jakobi)/Boswell
Lanier???/Gainey/TBD (Transfer?)
Mashack/Carr
Crews?? Dia??/Phillips
Aidoo/Awaka/Estrella

Like most years, we'll have a nice core of role players. The team badly needs 2 or 3 plus athletes that can score the ball. Hopefully Carr can fill one of those roles. Need 1-2 more.

I'll say this, not sure if it's a positive or negative... but Gainey will be starting next year without a doubt.

ZZ
Gainey
Mashack (or transfer)
Awaka (or transfer)
Aidoo

Carr = first guard off bench
JP = first big off bench
Cade = may see at 5 in small ball, but will also play the 4

This is assuming Freddie and DJ leave. I'm not sure who we'll land...I think they'll look for some size 6'6" or taller, could be a big or could be a tall guard but with who we lose and who returns I think 1 spot will for sure be for a bigger body. I'd love to see us add a true PG with a bit more size than ZZ, someone who can attack the rim and doesn't freak out dribbling in traffic.

I'll say this, not sure if it's a positive or negative... but Gainey will be starting next year without a doubt.

ZZ
Gainey
Mashack (or transfer)
Awaka (or transfer)
Aidoo

Carr = first guard off bench
JP = first big off bench
Cade = may see at 5 in small ball, but will also play the 4

This is assuming Freddie and DJ leave. I'm not sure who we'll land...I think they'll look for some size 6'6" or taller, could be a big or could be a tall guard but with who we lose and who returns I think 1 spot will for sure be for a bigger body. I'd love to see us add a true PG with a bit more size than ZZ, someone who can attack the rim and doesn't freak out dribbling in traffic.

Best case for Gainey in his career is if he can turn into Lou Williams or Jordan Crawford light and SEC 6th man of the year. Irrational confidence shooter who sometimes gets hot and goes flamethrower.

If he's starter next year then things went poorly in the portal.

We were going offense/defense with DK at the end of the UK game, he was on the court for every offensive scenario we had - he was the only one who could score.
I see what you're saying. I don't think it was intended that way though. He took an early contested 3, and he got pulled with a lot of coaching. I think our mini run turned it into that, but I don't think that was the original intent. I could be wrong of course, but that was the way I saw it play out.

A lot of portal action is happening and even with teams in the NCAAT (Bama just got a sharpshooter from Pepperdine). Hopefully we are being proactive. Obviously a lot of tampering going on so maybe it’s not a concern about waiting till after the NCAAT.

Disagree. Players with Mashacks skill sets are not easy to find. Strong rebounder, mature team first player, Versitale defender, willing to do the dirty work with the potential to really step up his offensive game. Guys like him aer not a dime a dozen.

Agree completely. Small point guards can be easily found, but kids like Mashack who can guard 1-4, creates turnovers, rebounds on both ends, passes well and has potential as a slasher on offense, and is unselfish and a natural leader, are not only hard to find, but rarities today.

I don’t disagree. Having watched a few practices over several years, I find our biggest weakness on offense is players not knowing when to shoot or drive. Barnes is highly critical of “bad” shots, and dribbling into traffic. A lot of these “bad” shots are open shots, they’re just early in the clock, or the five is high and not available to rebound. What you’re saying about Mashack could be said about Josiah or Santi. I think we’ve all screamed “shoot” or “drive” at the TV more than once. In fairness this is the style Barnes plays. They just won a very tough conference. Obviously this season has been looser than normal as far as the green light being on, but there are times the older guys still seem to be wearing their “don’t shoot shock collars”.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Barnes has commented multiple times this season on telling JJJ and SV to take the open shot when they get one, and expressed frustration over the passed up open looks against MSU.

I think it's a combination of lost confidence, especially with SV, as well as seeing DK as the guy and looking to get him good looks as often as possible, sometimes to the detriment of the natural offensive flow. If they could somehow find again and bottle the offensive play in the first Kentucky game, UT would be very hard to beat. They got away from it more and more as Knecht played Superman, and they really need to get back to that starting this week.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I think that Mashack gets uncontested looks from the 3PL while Vescovi draws defenders. Therefore Knecht has more opportunities when SV is on the floor instead of JM.

Agree. Mashack is not a shooter, but will be more of a slasher on offense, while SV, as bad as he's been this season, is still seen as a shooter by reputation. He can still create a bit of gravity, especially if he can knock down 2-3 early.

Would love to have him but he’ll have offers from everybody. Wouldn’t count on it.
Is this BVS talking? We just took a guy in the portal who’s an all conference POY an and first team all American. We’ve never been in a better position to land another top wing player to replace DK - don’t care who else wants him!

Best case for Gainey in his career is if he can turn into Lou Williams or Jordan Crawford light and SEC 6th man of the year. Irrational confidence shooter who sometimes gets hot and goes flamethrower.

If he's starter next year then things went poorly in the portal.

He was already 6th on the team in MPG, and 3 of the guys ahead of him are all leaving. If you don't think Barnes will go with the 2nd year guy that he knows and trust already then you've not paid any attention in his tenure as HC here.

Mashack SHOULD be starting, but he's got 3 years total in the program with 95 games and just 339 total points scored. Gainey in his 32 games as a Vol already has 223 points.

I'm curious if the staff has interest in Dakota Leffew, 6'5" 185lbs out of Mount St. Mary's with 1 year left. Has played and started 2 straight years there at 33+ MPG. This season he was good for 17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.9 apg, scores well at every level and shot over 36% from 3 in both of his last 2 seasons as the starter.

No inside knowledge just speculation based on his similarities to DK.

Guys like Robbie Avila and Jason Kent from Indiana State are probably soon to be in the portal. Likely they'll follow Schertz to Saint Louis or Vandy but would be good additions. VN would love Cream Abdul Jabbar!

He was already 6th on the team in MPG, and 3 of the guys ahead of him are all leaving. If you don't think Barnes will go with the 2nd year guy that he knows and trust already then you've not paid any attention in his tenure as HC here.

Mashack SHOULD be starting, but he's got 3 years total in the program with 95 games and just 339 total points scored. Gainey in his 32 games as a Vol already has 223 points.
If Gainey is handed the starting guard spot next to ZZ then we missed everyone we wanted in the portal. He's going to, at the very least be challenged. We have at minimum 2 open spots for transfers. I just don't see it imo.

You've got more inside info than I, but I've said this countless times over the years. There has to be something in the way Barnes coaches that makes the players be too gun shy or thinking too much on the court. We've seen too many shooters come in and have the worst years of their career. It's hard to go from running spread PR all your life to running a true motion offense. A lot of read and react. A lot of Barnes saying good shot/bad shot.

The ones that have made it had enough to just shoot it anyways. Dalton, Admiral, etc.
Their called Alpha's. We've not had many lately.

Reactions: b_gann

Do you think Barnes values offense or defense more?

Do you think Barnes values offense or defense more?

Before this season I would have said defense, but seeing him play DK & Gainey so much and even Aidoo I’m not as sure.

My thing is Mashack is arguably the best defender on the team, but he played less minutes this year after showing more offensive abilities last year when ZZ went down. So there’s something he’s not doing that keeps him on the bench.

I will say, on paper Crews looks like he could be a candidate to fill the void a bit DK will leave. Same size, can score at all 3 levels has grinded and even played a year of JuCo to get to where he is now.

But personally of the 4 players mentioned Ja'Kobi Gillespie would be the one I'd most like to see in orange next year. Him and ZZ on the court together could be a lot of fun and then him having that additional year to be the main PG the year after ZZ graduates could help offset the loss a LOT for us.
Yeah, I really like the idea of having two playmakers in the backcourt at the same time, so I'm all in on Gillespie. We would be small but ZZ isn't taken advantage of very much due to size and from the bit I've seen of Gillespie, he can play off the ball effectively (as can ZZ). Gillespie would be excellent in high ball screen with Aidoo rolling to the rim. Got to respect any little guy who is efficient going to the rim and converting at a high % among the trees. His perimeter shot release is kinda low but that can be tweaked. And given he has 2 more years to play, even better.

We aren't missing anything with Crews in my opinion. His stats may scream DK, but he isn't even close to Knecht when you watch him play. I'm not a fan. Mizzou can have him.

VN Store

Back