2024 Transfer Portal Thread

So, Vols already had a deal done with Lanier and he wasn't supposed to go in portal because grad transfers didn't have to enter portal but NCAA changed the rules a few weeks back were grad transfers do have to enter now and that's when Lanier hired an agent. Then Tennessee made up the interest from Maryland and leaked it to the media to act like we didn't tamper, which in turn made other teams believe they could get in his ear, like Kentucky, the numbers that have been linked with Kentucky are false, it wasn't 7 figures, that figure is closer to what BYU offered.
BYU comes in the picture because Laniers agent is close friends with BYUs new HC who was the associate HS for the Phoenix Sun's and he's trying to drive the number up so he can get his 20%, the thing with BYU though is that is a Mormon school and Laniers dad is a Baptist preacher (big bama fan too, we al have our own issues lol), that's how him and Barnes hit it off. BYU has made the largest offer. Laniers parents want him in Knoxville but his agent is trying his best to do his friend a big favor, that's why Lanier is here for 2 and a half days compared to a cup of coffee with Ketucky and a very, very short visit to BYU.
It was always going to take this long, well the orginal date was sometime late last week but his agent has gotten in the way, he was always going to go through the NBA process to get feedback.
He did work out for a couple of NBA teams last week, which was the holdup because his agent had him working out with a couple of his other players for teams.
Like I've said from before he ever hit the portal that he would be here.
Sean Sparks - The Vol Vault

How are the vibes on scale of arguing over finances of NIL compared to real world jobs -> accusing people of being TB -> making fun of UK fans -> dropping bomb meme

Reactions: gainesvol82
All colleges are for profit colleges.
They’re all money-grubbing, but the ones that IRS classifies as “for profit” are a totally different beast. Think about how bad a regular college is when any money they make gets reinvested into the school and imagine if instead of reinvesting, the administration just got to pocket it.

They’re all money-grubbing, but the ones that IRS classifies as “for profit” are a totally different beast. Think about how bad a regular college is when any money they make gets reinvested into the school and imagine if instead of reinvesting, the administration just got to pocket it.
You’re right but UT has a billion dollar endowment that’s sitting in a bank, it’s not being reinvested in the school. It’s certainly not driving down tuition costs.

You’re right but UT has a billion dollar endowment that’s sitting in a bank, it’s not being reinvested in the school. It’s certainly not driving down tuition costs.
It’s at least insurance against the school totally disappearing tomorrow leaving all students high and dry though which is exactly what just happened with the school in the OP.

An endowment doesn’t make it for profit. St. Jude sits on a huge endowment or reserve.
I’m aware of the tax distinction, I’m saying UT (or any other school) isn’t cramming 300 students into an auditorium to learn Biology from a TA because money is tight, it’s because they’re run like a business, ie for profit

Reactions: LazyLeg
@Stoerner Fumbles or anyone else who may be genuinely in the know, I want to try and phrase this in a way you may be at liberty to answer. Basilio and perhaps others reported today that Lanier and his family were actively meeting with Spyre. I don’t know that this was confirmed anywhere, but if true, do recruits and their agents sometimes meet directly with a collective as part of a negotiation process, prior to a commitment decision being made? Or would such a meeting take place only to sign papers/finalize an agreement that has already been reached in principle? This probably reflects some lack of familiarity on my part with the process. At any rate I hope I asked the question clearly enough. Just a curiosity that came to me after Basilio’s reporting today.

P.S. I know it probably doesn’t require an insider to answer what is essentially a rule book question, but you certainly seem to know whereof you speak, so.

Last edited:
I’m aware of the tax distinction, I’m saying UT (or any other school) isn’t cramming 300 students into an auditorium to learn Biology from a TA because money is tight, it’s because they’re run like a business, ie for profit
No, it’s because they use freshman-level instruction to subsidize senior- and grad-level instruction and research.

@Stoerner Fumbles or anyone else who may be genuinely in the know, I want to try and phrase this in a way you may be at liberty to answer. Basilio and perhaps others reported today that Lanier and his family were actively meeting with Spyre. I don’t know that this was confirmed anywhere, but if true, do recruits and their agents sometimes meet directly with a collective as part of a negotiation process, prior to a commitment decision being made? Or would such a meeting take place only to sign papers/finalize an agreement that has already been reached in principle? This probably reflects some lack of familiarity on my part with the process. At any rate I hope I asked the question clearly enough. Just a curiosity that came to me after Basilio’s reporting today.

P.S. I know it probably doesn’t require an insider to answer what is essentially a rule book question, but you certainly seem to know whereof you speak, so.
There is no standard protocol, except that the NIL meeting is a discussion (officially) outside the purview of the University. In this particular instance, we adjusted our offer from the one previously discussed due to the offers made by UK and BYU. He has not signed anything nor committed to anyone, but the visit went as well as it could go. Barnes and ZZ told Lanier he was a necessary part of a team that could win a championship with him. It’s interesting because apparently Barnes talked a lot about team and the selfish culture we live in, and quoted a Bible verse about that. I think Lanier and his mom are exhausted after all the hoopla and travel. Everyone involved said the last meeting with Barnes went very well, and was emotional. After the meeting, Lanier posted the verse. Nothing is guaranteed in recruiting, but I think the coaches will be very surprised if he isn’t a Vol by the weekend. I can probably share more about the twists and turns after this is over.

Last edited:
Tom Brady? 😆
Naw, in this instance according to the MAJORITY of posts I have read it ALSO coincidentally stands for Totally Bull. I have no position, since I have maybe an hour of airtime invested in my lifetime. Not a believer or unbeliever until I am and don’t see the time investment in my future unless a new trend analysis indicates a need.

Reactions: vols 30

There is some nuance to this. A 100 level course doesn’t need an expert teacher, and more students need the core credit.

It appears colleges are spending more money- not necessarily cutting costs. But I agree that the tuition increases are frankly unbelievable.

Where do you REALLY get your insider info??
He used to have a handful of lunch buddies that were regulars on his show. My guess is that they all scour message boards to cobble together enough gossip to talk about between bites at lunch to fill air time between all those 10 min commercial breaks.

VN Store

Back