2024 Transfer Portal Thread

They don't want to pay Lanier that much is the truth. Saying they don't want to harm team chemistry is to stop the fans from being upset that they won't pay Lanier.
Yeah but they are still speculating over the money figures, how do they truly know Spyre won’t pay Lanier 1 million and change for a year? That’s the kind of speculation you don’t just throw out there without some actual proof…

Last edited:
I don’t get the speculation on team chemistry because a guy makes more through NIL over another guy lol why does that need to be put out there when the figures are all speculative and Spyre hasn’t said a word on what they are giving Lanier…they are literally speculating over second hand info in which they have no clue over
IMO, I’d be shocked if all the players on the team are able to keep their NIL amounts secret from the rest of the team. Everywhere I ever worked somehow that info leaked out. A highly competitive college athlete overflowing with testosterone knowing someone else is getting more isn’t a recipe for team harmony. JMO

IMO, I’d be shocked if all the players on the team are able to keep their NIL amounts secret from the rest of the team. Everywhere I ever worked somehow that info leaked out. A highly competitive college athlete overflowing with testosterone knowing someone else is getting more isn’t a recipe for team harmony. JMO
You don’t even have to necessarily put out there how much someone is making.

You can kind of just tell by the commercials, ads, social media post, etc. how much they are making compared to others on the team.

ZZ and Knecht making the Krystal’s and Freddie’s deals while some on the team hardly make any, if at all.

You throw a fit at work if someone makes more than you? I get they are young adults but they are not dumb either…

You throw a fit at work if someone makes more than you? I get they are young adults but they are not dumb either…
No, I wouldn’t but I’ve worked with a lot of folks who resented coworkers who they knew were getting paid more. I was certainly dumber in my 18-23 year range as life experiences have taught me much. Again, this is only my experience and opinion.

I saw there's a recruiting dead period from May 22nd - June 2nd this year. So if it's going to happen then we'd need to get Chaz in for a visit by Tuesday

I get what you’re saying and I’m not disagreeing, however would you not be upset if let’s say someone from a local small company did really well, but had no experience working for major fortune company, they hired that person and offered more pay than you? Let’s also say you’ve been working at this company already for a couple years. (Sorry for the bad comp, tried my best before walking into a meeting lol)

Basically should Mashack not be upset if Lanier comes here and makes more than him when Shack has proven he can play in a major conference and Chaz hasn’t

Reactions: orangevolcano
If the Vols miss out on Lanier and aren't able to find anyone else, this will be a really disappointing off-season. Outbid for Lanier. Then you lose Aidoo and Awaka.

Agreed, for me it would be an A with Lanier. However, would drop to a C without him or an equivalent scorer considering the losses.
B-

Igor, Dubar, and Okpara make up for losing Aidoo, Santi and JJJ.

Definitely thought it was interesting that NBA Draft Room has Okpara ranked higher than all those guys for the 25 draft.

Reactions: Lefteye
B-

Igor, Dubar, and Okpara make up for losing Aidoo, Santi and JJJ.

Definitely thought it was interesting that NBA Draft Room has Okpara ranked higher than all those guys for the 25 draft.
This also considers the void left by Knecht. Need to add more scoring punch. This roster as it stands will struggle to score 60 a night imo.

This also considers the void left by Knecht. Need to add more scoring punch. This roster as it stands will struggle to score 60 a night imo.
Interestingly enough that same site has Carr ranked 114.

“Long lanky guard, with a picture perfect jumper, needs to add strength”

Maybe he can be our 2.

Interestingly enough that same site has Carr ranked 114.

“Long lanky guard, with a picture perfect jumper, needs to add strength”

Maybe he can be our 2.
Sure, he could be. Also, decent chance you're a middle of the pack SEC team. Which would be annoying coming off the best season in program history. Feels like the 2020-2021 kind of team.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Sure, he could be. Also, decent change you're a middle of the pack SEC team. Which would be annoying coming off the best season in program history.

We had DK for one season, won the SEC.

Barnes has coached here for 9 seasons. Has only had 3 seasons (his first 2, and then his 19-20 team after losing Grant/Kyle/Admiral/Bone & Turner getting hurt) where we finished middle of the pack or worse.

We'll be a top 6 SEC team with the roster as-is, depending on the growth from the returning players could be even better. With Chaz I think we'd be top 3-4 possibly even considered favorites.

Until final roster is done in Fall I'm just going to play wait and see.

I get what you’re saying and I’m not disagreeing, however would you not be upset if let’s say someone from a local small company did really well, but had no experience working for major fortune company, they hired that person and offered more pay than you? Let’s also say you’ve been working at this company already for a couple years. (Sorry for the bad comp, tried my best before walking into a meeting lol)

Basically should Mashack not be upset if Lanier comes here and makes more than him when Shack has proven he can play in a major conference and Chaz hasn’t
Totally get that but Chaz is kinda more proven than Shack is in their respective careers albeit different competition but film doesn’t lie! This isn’t the point though…

My biggest thing is the speculation over the money figures and acting like Spyre won’t give a competitive offer based on locker room chemistry that is just poor journalism. I can understand not wanting to over pay based on budget and other factors but I just don’t understand VQ speculating over something they clearly are not 100% privy too from what they are writing about

Reactions: TrippieRedd
We had DK for one season, won the SEC.

Barnes has coached here for 9 seasons. Has only had 3 seasons (his first 2, and then his 19-20 team after losing Grant/Kyle/Admiral/Bone & Turner getting hurt) where we finished middle of the pack or worse.

We'll be a top 6 SEC team with the roster as-is, depending on the growth from the returning players could be even better. With Chaz I think we'd be top 3-4 possibly even considered favorites.

Until final roster is done in Fall I'm just going to play wait and see.
I mean that's all we can do is let it play out. We have no control over it.

The league is getting stronger top to bottom plus adding Texas & Oklahoma.

The 2020-2021 team went 18-9 overall, 10-7 (4th overall) in a worse version of the SEC. That's how this team feels to me.

Obviously, I'd love to be wrong. Still hoping we pull something major out to raise the ceiling.

Perception is reality. If you think you are as good or better than the person and they receive more than you, then it becomes personal. Emotions like anger, resentment, and jealousy creep into the equation. Over time, especially if others on the team share similar views, then team chemistry is jeopardized.

Reactions: GUNTERSVOL
Perception is reality. If you think you are as good or better than the person and they receive more than you, then it becomes personal. Emotions like anger, resentment, and jealousy creep into the equation. Over time, especially if others on the team share similar views, then team chemistry is jeopardized.
If a person acts like that based on money were they ever truly a team player?

If a person acts like that based on money were they ever truly a team player?

Paying someone like Lanier almost 2 million over a player like Mashack would definitely cause some concern in the locker room.

Mashack has proven he can play in the SEC, as of right now, Lanier has yet to prove that.

It’s so easy for posters to say, JUST PAY THEM WHATEVER THEY WANT when there’s so many other obstacles coaches have to go through to keep their roster happy.

The 2020-2021 team went 18-9 overall, 10-7 (4th overall) in a worse version of the SEC. That's how this team feels to me.

Obviously, I'd love to be wrong. Still hoping we pull something major out to raise the ceiling.
I like the ten we have now. I like the talent, the chemistry and the experience of important roles. I think Igor, Carr and Estrella are being overlooked as contributors. We can’t/don’t need to replace Knecht with one player. We need more contributors. Estrella is working with a personal coach who is one of the best in the country. He and Cade work one on one hours a day. Carr has been shooting a thousand balls a day. I think the young guys are very hungry and the experience ZZ and Mashack bring puts us in the top five in the SEC. Coaches are very high on Igor and believe he’ll be great at both ends. I don’t have a read on Dubar, but trust they have a plan. Okpara is, at the least, a presence on D and a rebounder, but I get the feeling he can develop some consistent moves and score 7-10. The staff does have backup plans for Lanier, but Lanier isn’t out yet. I think this is a competitive team already, but will get more exciting as we learn more about the guys we’ve added and the ones we will add. I am equally excited about the young guys.

Paying someone like Lanier almost 2 million over a player like Mashack would definitely cause some concern in the locker room.

Mashack has proven he can play in the SEC, as of right now, Lanier has yet to prove that.

It’s so easy for posters to say, JUST PAY THEM WHATEVER THEY WANT when there’s so many other obstacles coaches have to go through to keep their roster happy.
You act as if someone getting paid more is a weird concept that should never happen lol nobody is saying “pay him whatever” im saying the speculation that our offer isn’t competitive is bogus journalism…. Does VQ truly know the contract being thrown out or are they speculating on the offer? It doesn’t seem like they truly have the full scope of what Spyre will do…

I like the ten we have now. I like the talent, the chemistry and the experience of important roles. I think Igor, Carr and Estrella are being overlooked as contributors. We can’t/don’t need to replace Knecht with one player. We need more contributors. Estrella is working with a personal coach who is one of the best in the country. He and Cade work one on one hours a day. Carr has been shooting a thousand balls a day. I think the young guys are very hungry and the experience ZZ and Mashack bring puts us in the top five in the SEC. Coaches are very high on Igor and believe he’ll be great at both ends. I don’t have a read on Dubar, but trust they have a plan. Okpara is, at the least, a presence on D and a rebounder, but I get the feeling he can develop some consistent moves and score 7-10. The staff does have backup plans for Lanier, but Lanier isn’t out yet. I think this is a competitive team already, but will get more exciting as we learn more about the guys we’ve added and the ones we will add. I am equally excited about the young guys.

I think most mostly care about not knowing the backup plan.

I’d be in the minority but if Chaz went to UK, that’s fine if I knew who or what the backup plans were.

Right now, us regular posters only know Chaz or bust.

There is always going to be an opportunity for someone to be jealous on a team. Is Barnes going to start trying to play everyone equal minutes. Even if they play equal minutes are they going to try and get each player an equal number of shots. Each guy on the team had the opportunity to negotiate their deal this off-season. If they didn't like the deal that was offered to them, they could have left or chosen another school. If they want to be mad about their deal, they need to be mad at themself and their representation for don't pushing for a better a deal.

That team missed most of pre-season practice time with COVID and we were starting 2 true freshmen guards...

I think adding 3 experienced transfers and returning 6 players who could arguably all be starters is a better starting point than the 20-21 team. But who knows, I think the staff tries to keep most targets close to their chest until visits are lined up.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

VN Store

Back