2024 Transfer Portal Thread

That's fair. Placer and Hicklen both averaged just under 10 ppg across three and two seasons, respectively, at N. Florida against high majors. So, Lanier (though a smaller sample size) did fair better than them against the best teams.
Maybe it’s as simple as he just really worked all off season, he had career highs in FG%, 2pt%, 3pt% and FT% (given attempts)…so not as if he just saw his volume increase or something, his shooting across the board greatly improved.

Reactions: berryvol
A few new names, no clue if we've reached out but they could be fits based on other names

Devon Ellis - Sophomore from Maryland-Eastern Shore, 6'6" 215lbs G
26.6 mpg, 11.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 49.8% FG

Cody Head - Freshman from Lipscomb, 6'3" 170lbs PG
18.6 mpg, 8.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 53.2% FG, 35.2% 3PT, 84.3% FT
Fwiw the list I’ve posted are guys there has been contact with, and/or have some tie to the Tennessee program/staff.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
My only concern with Lanier is why it took him 4 years to make an impact at a small school like North Florida, and how will that translate to the SEC? The latest numbers are great, the shooting from 3 is elite, and he's an excellent FT shooter. But what propelled him from 1.7 ppg/4.5 ppg/4.7 ppg to suddenly 19.7 ppg? I just get nervous when I see a guy seemingly struggle to make an impact at a low level program and then have a late-career breakout at the same school. If it took that long to adjust at that level, it's a leap of faith to think it could translate to the highest level of collegiate basketball. Though certainly not impossible.

Same questions I guess technically exist with Saint Thomas, as well, although he switched from Loyola to Northern Colorado, which seemed to be what led to his breakout.

Tucker Anderson is intriguing at his size with that ability. A lot of Knecht qualities in his game minus the elite athleticism. Anderson, however, is 3" taller. Really good shooter, quick release, can shoot the turnaround fade which at his height is unblockable. A lot to like there if it translates, of course. His mom is Sheila Frost, who played on Pat Summitt's first two Championship teams in 1987 and 1989.
His track kinda reminds me of Josh Richardson. Just needed a bit more time and growth before things fell into place?

Maybe it’s as simple as he just really worked all off season, he had career highs in FG%, 2pt%, 3pt% and FT% (given attempts)…so not as if he just saw his volume increase or something, his shooting across the board greatly improved.
I am wondering if he was changing his shot ... and it took a while to master???? Any rumors on this front???

Fwiw the list I’ve posted are guys there has been contact with, and/or have some tie to the Tennessee program/staff.

Yeah, gathered that. This is a general transfer portal thread though so sharing new names that just recently entered that appear to fit our parameters based on your list.

Someone in Lexington will throw a bag at Thiero to get him to change his mind and stay.

AJ Storr was starting and getting nearly 30mpg, he's played 2 years for 2 difference schools and Wisconsin was in the dance... I'd be curious why he's leaving.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Right, it's possible. Just rare to see a guy have that kind of jump that late in his career. He may transition seamlessly to a high major, and if it's at Tennessee, obviously I hope that happens. Sounds like we both agree that it's a fair question to ask about him and a legit concern moving forward until he proves himself at the highest level. The improvement is really impressive, just a crazy statistical jump.

His track kinda reminds me of Josh Richardson. Just needed a bit more time and growth before things fell into place?
Funny you mention JRich, because that's exactly who I thought of, too. JRich had a more steady curve to his career though, looking back, which is why I held back on mentioning him. I cannot think of a single Tennessee example that would fit Lanier's career arc.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Right, it's possible. Just rare to see a guy have that kind of jump that late in his career. He may transition seamlessly to a high major, and if it's at Tennessee, obviously I hope that happens. Sounds like we both agree that it's a fair question to ask about him and a legit concern moving forward until he proves himself at the highest level. The improvement is really impressive, just a crazy statistical jump.

Yeah, I mean we've missed more than we've hit on transfers. So I'm always in the "until he proves himself" at this level mode.

DK did though...really the only one that has in recent memory. (Kevin Punter too, but came in before Barnes so wasn't counting him)

Reactions: Volfan1000
He’s been drifting up draft boards. I assume he’ll go if he’s projected top 25.
Really? That's extremely surprising. Interestingly, he's not even in the discussion in either round in Givony and Woo's most recent mock on ESPN from 3 days ago.

Side note, DK is going #8 to the Rockets in that mock draft.

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back