6 v 11/14
7 v 10
8 v 9
9 v 8
10 v 7
11 v 14
12 v 13

Last edited:
Tennessee may need to win that first game in the sect to guarantee a #1 seed in the big show
No such thing as a "guarantee" for us as a 1 seed. We lost and so did AZ, but we were, at best, even money with AZ for that #1 seed going into Saturday. All yesterday did was allow UNC to enter the discussion IMO. I just see blue blood bias as our undoing no matter what we do in the tournament. Personally, I'd really cut our starters minutes and try to get as rested/fresh as possible before the grind of the NCAA hits. I'd give Estrella, Carr and Dillione a boat load of minutes in the SECT.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I think that's a fair criticism of Barnes this year. He just didn't develop the bench as well as he could and should have. After yesterday, I'm not holding out a lot of hope with Vescovi. JJJ is a bigger and more athletic player who can get points inside and from midrange. Vescovi is almost totally dependent on his outside shot and even then he's not athletic enough to get his. He has to be left open or set up. His confidence is shot. And when he gives you defense like he did yesterday, you'd like to be able to turn to someone else for some minutes/production. Tell me Carr or Dillione couldn't have given you at least what Vescovi did. Now the hay is in the barn and we live or die by what JJJ and Vescovi can contribute. Some nights our 3 on their 5 might get you a win if our defense is stellar, but most of the time in the NCAAT, it gets you sent home crying in your beer.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I don't see how losing to a very good ranked team that will have a two seed in the SEC tournament is going to take us out of the number one seed. We just beat three ranked teams. Who has a schedule as hard as we have had? And Arizona lost. I just don't buy because NC beat Duke, that we get pushed back.

Want to see MSU on Friday afternoon. Revenge factor, plus if chalk holds, we'd be looking at all Q1 games throughout the tourney. An LSU matchup may look better on paper, but it provides nothing to gain in terms of resume.

I don't see how losing to a very good ranked team that will have a two seed in the SEC tournament is going to take us out of the number one seed. We just beat three ranked teams. Who has a schedule as hard as we have had? And Arizona lost. I just don't buy because NC beat Duke, that we get pushed back.
Agreed. Where it might get interesting is if we lose in the quarterfinal or semifinal and UNC wins the ACC tournament. I think AZ is out unless maybe if us and UNC lose the next game and AZ wins out but even then I’m not sure as the only good win they could get is Washington State. If we match UNC we’re definitely a 1 and we could be anyway. I’d rather not lose to the 8/9 winner just to be safe though.

Agreed. Where it might get interesting is if we lose in the quarterfinal or semifinal and UNC wins the ACC tournament. I think AZ is out unless maybe if us and UNC lose the next game and AZ wins out but even then I’m not sure as the only good win they could get is Washington State. If we match UNC we’re definitely a 1 and we could be anyway. I’d rather not lose to the 8/9 winner just to be safe though.

Historically, including last year for Tennessee, winning the SEC tournament unless you weren’t going to qualify on your merits before the tournament, doesn’t really improve your seeding. I would love to see what resting would do for the team

Historically, including last year for Tennessee, winning the SEC tournament unless you weren’t going to qualify on your merits before the tournament, doesn’t really improve your seeding. I would love to see what resting would do for the team
The last couple years have seemed that way but, unfortunately, the committee seems to make up the rules each year to justify whatever they did. By EOD next Saturday they’ll know what they’re going to do but with us, UNC and AZ being so close I do believe the conference tournaments will matter some. If not, it’s us as the 1. And that’s why I think all we need to do is match UNC. We might even be good just making the final. However, if we lose before the final and UNC wins the ACC it’ll be tough for the committee to not put them over us. Blue blood, regular season and ACC tournament champs, beat us head to head, they would have 2 less losses and they’re hot right now. We did play a tougher schedule but my guess is UNC would get it if we go 0-1 or 1-1 in our tourney while they win out. It’s all a guessing game. Thank goodness AZ lost last night or it would be them.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
No such thing as a "guarantee" for us as a 1 seed. We lost and so did AZ, but we were, at best, even money with AZ for that #1 seed going into Saturday. All yesterday did was allow UNC to enter the discussion IMO. I just see blue blood bias as our undoing no matter what we do in the tournament. Personally, I'd really cut our starters minutes and try to get as rested/fresh as possible before the grind of the NCAA hits. I'd give Estrella, Carr and Dillione a boat load of minutes in the SECT.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I think that's a fair criticism of Barnes this year. He just didn't develop the bench as well as he could and should have. After yesterday, I'm not holding out a lot of hope with Vescovi. JJJ is a bigger and more athletic player who can get points inside and from midrange. Vescovi is almost totally dependent on his outside shot and even then he's not athletic enough to get his. He has to be left open or set up. His confidence is shot. And when he gives you defense like he did yesterday, you'd like to be able to turn to someone else for some minutes/production. Tell me Carr or Dillione couldn't have given you at least what Vescovi did. Now the hay is in the barn and we live or die by what JJJ and Vescovi can contribute. Some nights our 3 on their 5 might get you a win if our defense is stellar, but most of the time in the NCAAT, it gets you sent home crying in your beer.
Agree. If there is a will, there will be a way for the Committee to gift the last 1 seed to UNC.
Sucks but it is a high probability that they would do this because technically there is not an Old Blue Blood in the field. A Conference Champion and a cake walk through the ACC would secure it. Tennessee would have to match it, but you never can count on the Committee to make the logical choice. So a 9-0 win streak from here on out is the best meds for our team and fans.

Reactions: CAVPUT
LSU would be the easier first round matchup, but Mississippi State is 42 in the NET, so if the Committee hasn’t already made up their mind about the 1 line on Friday, adding another Q1 win could help us.

I think our side of the bracket is manageable, but I certainly would have preferred Alabama to be our 4 instead of Auburn.

VN Store

Back