2024 SEC Baseball Tournament (5/21 - 5/26)

replayinF
no full xplanation on rule yet, it appears=

all i know sc makes it interesting
those capons

It’s pretty wild how close most of the games have been this week. Really, just an exceptional tournament. Tons of back and forth affairs, 2 walk off home runs, top seeds falling left and right. High quality baseball. It’s been fun.
Really is a great week of baseball. It can only be rivaled by Omaha and that will cost you 10 times what Hoover will…

On no seeing replay….these rules now have got to friggen stop..that’s just heads up baseball by the LSU catcher…that Is a joke and a half…new age rules try to ruin every sport…my goodness
It seems like a good rule to me to protect the catcher. Since the pitcher didn’t step off, the batter has to have the ability to swing. If the catcher is standing over the plate it could lead to a disaster.

It seems like a good rule to me to protect the catcher. Since the pitcher didn’t step off, the batter has to have the ability to swing. If the catcher is standing over the plate it could lead to a disaster.

Agree - I did not see the play - need to find it. But read an explanation from the umpire which made perfect sense. Basically, the throw was classified as a pitch and the catcher interfered with the batter. The rule is to protect the catcher. The batter could have swung and knocked the catcher for a loop. The batter takes definitely should be sent to first base since the catcher interfered. I don't think the runner from third is out on that play - seems comparable to a pitcher's balk situation only this was on the catcher. The only question would be whether the runner should have been sent back to third.

I do think it is funny that the LSU coach is saying he has never seen it before - well how many players try to steal home? The catcher made the mistake. The only question in my mind is whether the runner should have been sent back to third.

Updated: I just read in another message that everyone advances a base. So the call was correct.

Agree - I did not see the play - need to find it. But read an explanation from the umpire which made perfect sense. Basically, the throw was classified as a pitch and the catcher interfered with the batter. The rule is to protect the catcher. The batter could have swung and knocked the catcher for a loop. The batter takes definitely should be sent to first base since the catcher interfered. I don't think the runner from third is out on that play - seems comparable to a pitcher's balk situation only this was on the catcher. The only question would be whether the runner should have been sent back to third.

I do think it is funny that the LSU coach is saying he has never seen it before - well how many players try to steal home? The catcher made the mistake. The only question in my mind is whether the runner should have been sent back to third.

Updated: I just read in another message that everyone advances a base. So the call was correct.
So was a wrong call made in our game when someone tried to steal home on kirby and stark stepped up caught the pitch and tagged him?

So was a wrong call made in our game when someone tried to steal home on kirby and stark stepped up caught the pitch and tagged him?

Stark steps out but not over the plate then catches the ball, so no catcher interference

even that nose picker Corbin gets it

Last edited:
STAT OF THE GAME:

With Sunday's victory, the Vols have now reached the 50-win mark in three of the last four seasons and are the only program in the country to do so. Prior to Vitello's arrival, UT had won 50-plus games in a season just twice in program history, accomplishing the feat during back-to-back years in 1994 and 1995.

STAT OF THE GAME:

With Sunday's victory, the Vols have now reached the 50-win mark in three of the last four seasons and are the only program in the country to do so. Prior to Vitello's arrival, UT had won 50-plus games in a season just twice in program history, accomplishing the feat during back-to-back years in 1994 and 1995.
CTV built it…we will come!

After spending 5 nights in Hoover and watching lots of great baseball, I’m finally packing up and heading back home. Here’s some random thoughts and observations about this incredible SEC tourney:
1) CTV walked over to LSU dugout after game and asked if they could shake hands. Total class and sportsmanship.
2) CTV managed this week superbly from a roster and pitching perspective. Checked all the right boxes to get ready for postseason play.
3) Loy is mature beyond his years. He’s going to be really special.
4) Phillips grew up this week. He will be a monster next season and might just save us a game or 2 this postseason
5) Hunter Ensley is a gamer. Plays stellar defense and is clutch at the plate.
6) Burke is best 1B in league. Just a stud who will be sorely missed
7) Kirby is consummate team player. He eats outs and innings and is another gamer. He will be an incredible coach. One of most beloved Vols on and off the field.
8) Causey and Stamos have been superb portal pickups. Can’t imagine what this year would have been without them.
9) Hoover does a great job with tourney but needs to figure out better traffic control after games. Sitting for almost an hour before moving is worse than Neyland. The weather was great all week—unreal that there was zero rain or lightning delays.
10) LNS will be a hornets nest for Regionals. Let’s go!

After spending 5 nights in Hoover and watching lots of great baseball, I’m finally packing up and heading back home. Here’s some random thoughts and observations about this incredible SEC tourney:
1) CTV walked over to LSU dugout after game and asked if they could shake hands. Total class and sportsmanship.
2) CTV managed this week superbly from a roster and pitching perspective. Checked all the right boxes to get ready for postseason play.
3) Loy is mature beyond his years. He’s going to be really special.
4) Phillips grew up this week. He will be a monster next season and might just save us a game or 2 this postseason
5) Hunter Ensley is a gamer. Plays stellar defense and is clutch at the plate.
6) Burke is best 1B in league. Just a stud who will be sorely missed
7) Kirby is consummate team player. He eats outs and innings and is another gamer. He will be an incredible coach. One of most beloved Vols on and off the field.
8) Causey and Stamos have been superb portal pickups. Can’t imagine what this year would have been without them.
9) Hoover does a great job with tourney but needs to figure out better traffic control after games. Sitting for almost an hour before moving is worse than Neyland. The weather was great all week—unreal that there was zero rain or lightning delays.
10) LNS will be a hornets nest for Regionals. Let’s go!
Thanks. Agree with all, especially #2. The bullpen would have been empty on Sunday if we had followed the "go get him" crowd throughout the week.

Thanks. Agree with all, especially #2. The bullpen would have been empty on Sunday if we had followed the "go get him" crowd throughout the week.
I’d add the most impressive non Vol player that I saw was Cole Messina. He’s a beast and seems like a future Coach after his playing career is over. He is the one that challenged the balk/catcher’s interference call. He’s a stud.

VN Store

Back