2024 Recruiting Thread

The 2022 recruiting class is a prime example of trust the process. They had a plan and executed it to perfection.
2023 & 2024 will be different now with Tennessee regaining prominence on the WBB platform. It’s not about one recruit and who is or isn’t coming to Tennessee. People should know by now that ish doesn’t mean nothing.. Rocky Top is the move!

What was the plan--to sign one player? Hmmm---I doubt that. One could say that the "plan" was saved by the portal--and that's fine. good even. If you're strugging with high-school recruiting--and we seem to be--the portal offers the chance of recruiting redemption. It might even be more valuable than high-school recruiting, because you're getting experienced players. Even so, I have to think the coaches would like to be landing a few more blue-chip high-school prospects. Birds in hand and all that....

What was the plan--to sign one player? Hmmm---I doubt that. One could say that the "plan" was saved by the portal--and that's fine. good even. If you're strugging with high-school recruiting--and we seem to be--the portal offers the chance of recruiting redemption. It might even be more valuable than high-school recruiting, because you're getting experienced players. Even so, I have to think the coaches would like to be landing a few more blue-chip high-school prospects. Birds in hand and all that....

the plan was to sign more but it didn't work out that way. For whatever reason. You can say the plan was saved by the portal but if a couple of those had signed out of HS we wouldn't have the three we have coming in now. So the overall plan seems to be working

Reactions: glv98
Even so, I have to think the coaches would like to be landing a few more blue-chip high-school prospects. Birds in hand and all that....

But they aren't birds in hand. There's a transfer portal waiting for anyone to enter at any time with one free pass to any school that will have them. Those who have used the portal free pass to get to UT no longer have that free pass. THEY are birds in hand.

But they aren't birds in hand. There's a transfer portal waiting for anyone to enter at any time with one free pass to any school that will have them. Those who have used the portal free pass to get to UT no longer have that free pass. THEY are birds in hand.

Wrong: Birds in hand would be have a group of good players already on your squad, all or most of whom you brought in as freshmen, and so you don't need to vigorously recruit potential transfers. We've seemingly got three transfers who will help us--but there's no guarantee that you're going to land good transfers. You might miss on the players you want. Had we not got these three, we'd have been in big trouble, having only signed one high-school prospect.

Wrong: Birds in hand would be have a group of good players already on your squad, all or most of whom you brought in as freshmen, and so you don't need to vigorously recruit potential transfers. We've seemingly got three transfers who will help us--but there's no guarantee that you're going to land good transfers. You might miss on the players you want. Had we not got these three, we'd have been in big trouble, having only signed one high-school prospect.
Being unable to go back in time and recruit more '22 kids retroactively, "bird in the hand" is about what you can get access to and implement right now, ie transfers. Of course the problem with transfers is (in our case of bringing in seniors) it's a short-term solution. High school players committing for '23 would be analogous to having three in the bush; you train them up and secure that potential over their four years.

The portal give emirate help with experienced players who have already proven their worth. I personally, would like to see us getting highly rated players who can learn the system and compete for starting positions their second year unless they really blow up in their Freshman year and are able to earn playing time.

if we had signed four freshman, we would have three more freshmen instead of three very experienced players who will give us more than the same quality of recruit as a freshman. And all four of our hypothetical freshmen can fly the coop in the offseason via the portal, and then we don't have squat.

Being unable to go back in time and recruit more '22 kids retroactively, "bird in the hand" is about what you can get access to and implement right now, ie transfers. Of course the problem with transfers is (in our case of bringing in seniors) it's a short-term solution. High school players committing for '23 would be analogous to having three in the bush; you train them up and secure that potential over their four years.

Agreed! But also as we see with the portal having three freshman one year does not equate to having three freshman the next. Rosters are going to be a year by year thing now good or bad. YES, Kellie could have brought in more than one signee if people want to harp on that but it doesn't mean that they will stay. What if she brought in more than one and they left. Again, it's to the portal. I know you aren't the one harping in HS recruits but the more i thought about it the more i'm like great if we get them but if we don't there is a way.

Also, I hope the next time Kellie brings in 4 recruits that contribute in some capacity like the 21' class people will appreciate them more since we r super worried about HS recruits and maybe not focus on them being all americans or not in the top 20...

Agreed! But also as we see with the portal having three freshman one year does not equate to having three freshman the next. Rosters are going to be a year by year thing now good or bad. YES, Kellie could have brought in more than one signee if people want to harp on that but it doesn't mean that they will stay. What if she brought in more than one and they left. Again, it's to the portal. I know you aren't the one harping in HS recruits but the more i thought about it the more i'm like great if we get them but if we don't there is a way.

Also, I hope the next time Kellie brings in 4 recruits that contribute in some capacity like the 21' class people will appreciate them more since we r super worried about HS recruits and maybe not focus on them being all americans or not in the top 20...
All of this! Very well said!

Reactions: Lucy and VA_VOLFAN
I was kinda suprised she gave us a visit tbh did a quick check of her liked tweets and not a single liked tweet about Tennessee
I don’t put too much faith in Twitter activity. One of our recruits went crazy liking Lady Vols’ stuff and interacting with fans. The past four months, nothing.

VN Store

Back