2024 Recruiting Thread

Yes, and I did not like that. You can’t have a team that one dimensional and get away with it. That’s why we struggled to win games without her.

This is 1000%. The offense should’ve featured Jewel Spear as a ball handler and facilitator, not just in the half-court and coming off screens.
Jewel should’ve been used with Jackson on the court and when she was out the game to handled the ball full court and set up the offense. Players like Darby, Puckett, and Striplin could’ve been your spot up shooters not Jewel Spear who for about 60% of the offense was standing in the corner waiting for a kick out pass from Powell or Wynn. That limited the team as much as the personnel but the fanatics won’t mention it.

This is 1000%. The offense should’ve featured Jewel Spear as a ball handler and facilitator, not just in the half-court and coming off screens.
Jewel should’ve been used with Jackson on the court and when she was out the game to handled the ball full court and set up the offense. Players like Darby, Puckett, and Striplin could’ve been your spot up shooters not Jewel Spear who for about 60% of the offense was standing in the corner waiting for a kick out pass from Powell or Wynn. That limited the team as much as the personnel but the fanatics won’t mention it.
Jewel did not lack opportunities. Especially in the eight game RIckea didn't play.

Reactions: lfvol
We struggled to win without RJ, and sometimes with her, bc other players who were supposed to step up weren't able to. Nothing to do with how the offense was run. It's all opinon, but many felt the offense wasn't run through her enough. Others had plenty of chances in the offense and simply weren't able to get it done. When the backup band is going 0-9, 2-12, etc. they're getting plenty of shots, just not delivering. We depended on Rickea's offense often by default, not choice.
Let RJ get her points because others won’t step up or take RJ out of her game and let others beat you. Good odds either way.

Jewel did not lack opportunities. Especially in the eight game RIckea didn't play.

That’s your opinion. Jewel Spear was placed in the corner to catch and shoot the basketball. No offense was being ran for her. She wasn’t implemented into the system to be a facilitator which she did at Wake Forest for three years. She thrives when catching the ball in space not standing in the corner with no room to operate. She works best from the wing or top of the key to dribble to create space and then taking the 3pt shot, pull-up, or driving to the basket. Scored 21 pts on the road against SC and 24 against Ala on 6/6 3pt in the SEC tourney. If you seriously think every single game presented her these opportunities then so be it.

That was a coaching failure, not a player failure. I’m surprise someone who defends the players with such valor would suddenly throw all of them under the bus.
End of the season evaluations and firings do that when reality sets in.

That was a coaching failure, not a player failure. I’m surprise someone who defends the players with such valor would suddenly throw all of them under the bus.
Not throwing anyone under the bus. This is easy. Check the stats of the big games we lost. Robin simply didn't hit shots. Still love her and glad we got her, but facts are facts. And Jewel wasn't the only one.
Let RJ get her points because others won’t step up or take RJ out of her game and let others beat you. Good odds either way.
That's exactly what happened in most of the big games we lost. Not on the coaches, on the players who weren't able to step up and hit even a few crucial shots. It's all water under the bridge now.

Not throwing anyone under the bus. This is easy. Check the stats of the big games we lost. Robin simply didn't hit shots. Still love her and glad we got her, but facts are facts. And Jewel wasn't the only one.

That's exactly what happened in most of the big games we lost. Not on the coaches, on the players who weren't able to step up and hit even a few crucial shots. It's all water under the bridge now.

I’d explain but you’re not interested in learning, only defending lol.

But there is a reason the team could not be successful without Rickea and it has nothing to do with “stepping up.”

Don’t disagree. Two years ago when it was Horston and RJ that’s why it crucial for Tess to have 10 plus for us to have a chance. This years, no Horston so it didn’t matter much where the points came from after RJ.

You are correct. ‘09 just wants to be able to keep blaming Kellie. We had a few players who ran hot or cold and if they all had an off game we struggled.

You are correct. ‘09 just wants to be able to keep blaming Kellie. We had a few players who ran hot or cold and if they all had an off game we struggled.

Lucy, a good coach knows how to take the pieces they have and put them in a position to be successful.

Even with RJ out there we had trouble getting anyone, including her, an open shot. That’s not just because every defense we met was stellar, our offense was not capable of creating open shots. Our defense was not capable of creating easy shots. And several of our players were under athletic for the league they were playing in.

In the last 24hrs that last part has already been addressed. Danny White addressed the first two problems April 1, 2024.

Which one? The win two years or this past years loss by 15?
LOL NOW you want to talk about that one shining moment for KJH?

Seriously, this year. Several besides RJ got many open shots, just couldn't hit any of them. Happened several times in crucial games. This doesn't even merit argument, just look up the stats. But it's a deadhorse now.

Seriously, this year. Several besides RJ got many open shots, just couldn't hit any of them. Happened several times in crucial games. But it's a deadhorse now.
Which was why I asked, a big win almost 50 games ago or more recent loss by double digits. For those that are now seeing the light we just need clarity as this is new horizon of posting.

Reactions: BisonVol

Seriously, this year. Several besides RJ got many open shots, just couldn't hit any of them. Happened several times in crucial games. This doesn't even merit argument, just look up the stats. But it's a deadhorse now.

Did you actually watch that game?

It was a coaching NIGHTMARE. Clearly the coaches were telling Powell to “push it” but we were slower than LSU at every position. They were getting back and we were trying to force quick shots over their already set defense.

Because we did not have a serviceable half court offense (which Mulkey knew) we ended up with the wrong players taking contested shots. They defended Rickea well and made it very difficult for us to get the ball to the middle of the floor. Which is why most of Powell and Spear’s shots came from the right wing/corner in that game.

Rickea liked to work that left side so they forced us as far away from that as possible. That’s good coaching and game planning.

We never adjusted, never called a timeout, never subbed to try to something different at the guard spot.

I think we will see a lot of improvement in our players who are returning this Fall. The team wi9ll be in much better physical condition, taught how to run fast breaks without turning the ball over half the time, and will play defense more efficiently. I think we have untapped talent that will surprise a lot of people.

I think we will see a lot of improvement in our players who are returning this Fall. The team wi9ll be in much better physical condition, taught how to run fast breaks without turning the ball over half the time, and will play defense more efficiently. I think we have untapped talent that will surprise a lot of people.

I agree, 100% I think many folks will be surprised by how the returners play in a new system with a new coach. There is some talent there, it’s rough around the edges, but it can be shaped for certain.

How many times over the next 6 months are we going to repeat the same tired arguments over and over and over?

Kellie isn't here anymore. Caldwell is. Let's move on and see how things shape up for this upcoming season's roster and team.

Some of y'all would never post on if you didn't have bickering online to sustain you, I swear.

How many times over the next 6 months are we going to repeat the same tired arguments over and over and over?

Kellie isn't here anymore. Caldwell is. Let's move on and see how things shape up for this upcoming season's roster and team.

Some of y'all would never post on if you didn't have bickering online to sustain you, I swear.
A bickering post to chastise those that bicker.

That’s your opinion. Jewel Spear was placed in the corner to catch and shoot the basketball. No offense was being ran for her. She wasn’t implemented into the system to be a facilitator which she did at Wake Forest for three years. She thrives when catching the ball in space not standing in the corner with no room to operate. She works best from the wing or top of the key to dribble to create space and then taking the 3pt shot, pull-up, or driving to the basket. Scored 21 pts on the road against SC and 24 against Ala on 6/6 3pt in the SEC tourney. If you seriously think every single game presented her these opportunities then so be it.
Yeah, like Jessie Rennie. Stuck in the corner every time. Kellie the player and person is wonderful. Her coaching at UT was not working.

Jewel should do very well in this fun and gun offense. BTW I have never watched Cooper play is this offense going to be good for her or bad?

Looks like it would open the driving lanes up for a slasher type player.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back