2024 Recruiting Thread

If you start four stars and play 5 stars as utility players....you may need to rethink that
The stars awarded by high school recruiting services are often superceded by the players' actual play in college practices and games. The stars alone do not merit a rethink, except for what weight you give hs recruiting gurus.

Those days are gone with the wind and the player portal. And the question I'm posing is: What does her development look like? A three that rebounds? A four that shoots the three? Or, some have suggested a two (shooting guard). What is her best defensive position.
If she can't get better at dribbling the basketball and get a lot better at getting to the basket and playing inside she won't end up a five star player. A five star can do it all. We've seen that she needs to get better in a lot of areas. Not saying she doesn't have the talent to do so, but playing in that little girls catholic league really set her back from how you have to play in the SEC and WCCB.

The stars awarded by high school recruiting services are often superceded by the players' actual play in college practices and games. The stars alone do not merit a rethink, except for what weight you give hs recruiting gurus.
Are not the ⭐️’s based on potential? She has work to put in to develop her ball skillz and defense.

Edwards is the real deal . No way Dawn lets her out of her hometown.
Dawn might not land Edwards, nobody knows where she is leaning but there are rumors that favor Stanford…I have tried to keep up with her, but she is real private as it relates to her recruiting, never leaks any info and pretty much stays away from interviews. She will get offers from every great program.

On a side note, I’m not sure how I feel about Blanca Thomas after watching that video which was a game in January of this year. Obviously Edwards team was much stronger, so that impacted Thomas, but I guess I was expecting her to be a little more aggressive offensively. She kinda looked like just another player out there, albeit the tallest one and I am sure an excellent player when around other good teammates. Both Edwards and Thomas play together on Team USA. I need to see more film of Thomas that is not with her HS team or against that HS League she plays in, both of which are not that good. She made team USA so there has to be something there, she just didn’t show much on that video.

Given thee world of social media and the focus today on the Tennessee Legislative reaction to gun-violence, such publicity is definitely negative for a young woman looking to decide on where to get her education.

Given thee world of social media and the focus today on the Tennessee Legislative reaction to gun-violence, such publicity is definitely negative for a young woman looking to decide on where to get her education.

South Carolina and Louisiana aren't terribly dissimilar from Tennessee with respect to their cultural and civic orientation, and it doesn't seem to be impacting their recruiting at all. This may be a momentary spotlight for the state, but in the aggregate, I can't imagine this one episode would change a recruit's opinion that greatly.

2024 offers:

1. Imari Berry (32)
2. Mikayla Blakes (21)
3. Alexandra Blue (30)
4. Jaloni Cambridge (1)
5. Justice Carlton (3)
6. Morgan Cheli (18) To UCONN
7. Kendall Dudley (13) didn't make top 10
8. Joyce Edwards (2)
9. Jordan Lee (15)
10. Tahj Monet-Bloom (38)
11. Olivia Olsen (7) To Michigan
12. Taliyah Parker (22)
13. Bryanna Preston (44)
14. Arianna Roberson (29)
15. Blanca Thomas (9)
16. Ava Grace Watson (45)

I don’t understand when minutes for underclassmen became such an issue. Back in the day almost nobody played significant minutes until their junior season. Gone are the days that players wait their turn.

Justine is a Lady Vol through and through and will develop and play when appropriate.
That is true. How many of Pat Summitts freshman ever really sean significant playing time until they were upperclassman? Most waited their turn. She did have some exceptions, but they came in better than everyone in the country. Few players seem to do that nowadays.

I personally like a run and jump zone, especially with the Lady vols size, but it has to be really aggressive.

Why do you think Kellie doesn't play zone when we have slow defenders on the court? Our man defense isn't very big on help, each player is on their own island, and when a Tess Darby or Sara Puckett get blown by their man always gets to the rim and scores, it seems. I would think they could help each other better in a zone.

That is true. How many of Pat Summitts freshman ever really sean significant playing time until they were upperclassman? Most waited their turn. She did have some exceptions, but they came in better than everyone in the country. Few players seem to do that nowadays.
I think we could find a few now

I think we could find a few now
A few out of 381 D-1 schools and over the last couple of years these freshmen are going to schools not knowing if the Seniors that are supposed to be graduating and moving on or are going to play a covid year or if they thought they were going to get playing time and the coach brings in a portal player with college experience playing the same position. A year of college experience and a year in the weight rooms at the college level is huge unless the freshman coming in has won the genetics lottery like Cotie McMahon or is as skilled as Fla'jonae Johnson. Johnson I think was more of a need than a "I want to play a freshman". They also both made a ton of mistakes throughout the season. Lauren Betts managed to get about 8 minutes per game this season and she was the number 1 ranked player in the class at 6-7. It is kind of more of what you need or are desperate for when having to play freshman nowadays. There are a lot more skilled players than there have ever been in today's game. I mean, look who was in the final four each of the last 3 years and you see how much depth there is in women basketball right now. It isn't the same 2-3 teams every year.

A few out of 381 D-1 schools and over the last couple of years these freshmen are going to schools not knowing if the Seniors that are supposed to be graduating and moving on or are going to play a covid year or if they thought they were going to get playing time and the coach brings in a portal player with college experience playing the same position. A year of college experience and a year in the weight rooms at the college level is huge unless the freshman coming in has won the genetics lottery like Cotie McMahon or is as skilled as Fla'jonae Johnson. Johnson I think was more of a need than a "I want to play a freshman". They also both made a ton of mistakes throughout the season. Lauren Betts managed to get about 8 minutes per game this season and she was the number 1 ranked player in the class at 6-7. It is kind of more of what you need or are desperate for when having to play freshman nowadays. There are a lot more skilled players than there have ever been in today's game. I mean, look who was in the final four each of the last 3 years and you see how much depth there is in women basketball right now. It isn't the same 2-3 teams every year.
tess and marta class next year is the last class with a covid year. the logjam of extra players clears year after next year.

2024 offers:

1. Imari Berry (32)
2. Mikayla Blakes (21)
3. Alexandra Blue (30)
4. Jaloni Cambridge (1)
5. Justice Carlton (3)
8. Joyce Edwards (2)
9. Jordan Lee (15)
10. Tahj Monet-Bloom (38)
11. Olivia Olsen (7) To Michigan
12. Taliyah Parker (22)
13. Bryanna Preston (44)
14. Arianna Roberson (29)
15. Blanca Thomas (9)
16. Ava Grace Watson (45)
I think UT has also offered Blanca Thomas of Charlotte…….

I don’t understand when minutes for underclassmen became such an issue. Back in the day almost nobody played significant minutes until their junior season. Gone are the days that players wait their turn.

Justine is a Lady Vol through and through and will develop and play when appropriate.
Back in the day player model doesn’t exist with the emergence of better training, competition and more games. Coaches who play the one who waited their turn usually see the light once the losses start coming.

FtH11iyXwAAzSQz

Reactions: chuckiepoo
2024 offers:

1. Imari Berry (32)
2. Mikayla Blakes (21)
3. Alexandra Blue (30)
4. Jaloni Cambridge (1)
5. Justice Carlton (3)
8. Joyce Edwards (2)
9. Jordan Lee (15)