2023 Target List

Do you think we take a pretty big step back next year and we're in a rebuild year? With Santi, JJJ, ON, Phillips (likely O&D), and Key all gone. I know we'll have an amazing class coming in but it would be asking a lot out of freshman.
Rebuild as in not a NCAAT team? Definitely not. I also wouldn’t assume Phillips is one and done. But let’s say he is and land the 5 I mention, Santi, JJJ, ON, Phillips, Key & Plav gone…

Zeigler/BJE
Dilione/Carr
Mashack/Jefferson
Estrella/Cade
Aidoo/Chinyelu/Awaka

Would leave room for 2 impct type transfers…don’t forget Nkahmoua/Plav/JJJ/Santi all could return for COVID year as well, I doubt JJJ or Santi do but could definitely see Nkahmoua and/or Plav considering it. I think it will be yet again another Top 25 team and contender in the SEC.

Do you think we take a pretty big step back next year and we're in a rebuild year? With Santi, JJJ, ON, Phillips (likely O&D), and Key all gone. I know we'll have an amazing class coming in but it would be asking a lot out of freshman.
Not sure I'd call it a rebuild, but potentially a reload with lower expectations.

Rebuild as in not a NCAAT team? Definitely not. I also wouldn’t assume Phillips is one and done. But let’s say he is and land the 5 I mention, Santi, JJJ, ON, Phillips, Key & Plav gone…

Zeigler/BJE
Dilione/Carr
Mashack/Jefferson
Estrella/Cade
Aidoo/Chinyelu/Awaka

Would leave room for 2 impct type transfers…don’t forget Nkahmoua/Plav/JJJ/Santi all could return for COVID year as well, I doubt JJJ or Santi do but could definitely see Nkahmoua and/or Plav considering it. I think it will be yet again another Top 25 team and contender in the SEC.
Yeah I think more of a reload should have been the word that I used instead of a rebuild. I was thinking maybe like a 6-10 seed type of team, compared to this year where we could legit be a top seed. I feel like Plav will be back for sure he seems like he loves the college lifestyle.

Yeah I think more of a reload should have been the word that I used instead of a rebuild. I was thinking maybe like a 6-10 seed type of team, compared to this year where we could legit be a top seed. I feel like Plav will be back for sure he seems like he loves the college lifestyle.
Yea I mean if you’re Top 25 you’re probably 5-6 seed range, so I could definitely see that. Given the roster I listed it would seem to me like that’s close to the floor, you land an impact transfer or two (which we should be appealing) and we are right back to Top 15 team imo.

Reactions: Stoked
JJJ and Vescovi have been the constant of this team for 3 years. Will definitely be a passing of the guard losing those 2 IMO

I wonder what the immigration/foreign student or worker rules are as they apply to Plavsic? Since he’ll likely not get picked up by the NBA he might need to remain a student to extend his stay. Or become a citizen. Same for ORN. I think another year for Plavsic is very likely, ON about 50/50 or a bit less depending on how the season plays out, and Santi/JJJ almost certain to leave after this year. I wish that Key had the option of 1 more year. He seems to be on another level compared to the other guards that have transferred in before - Powell, Bailey, Daniel, Darrington, Punter.

The more I watch Dillone, the more I think he may be the most underrated player in his class. I see top ten draft potential. The only thing that worries me is he likes to ISO a lot, and I’m not sure how that will jive with Coach Barnes. If we land an impact transfer I can see next years team being top 4 in the SEC.

The more I watch Dillone, the more I think he may be the most underrated player in his class. I see top ten draft potential. The only thing that worries me is he likes to ISO a lot, and I’m not sure how that will jive with Coach Barnes. If we land an impact transfer I can see next years team being top 4 in the SEC.
Dilione is a balla, but he lacks that NBA level athleticism that a top 10 player should have. I think Freddie is at least, a 3 year college guy, maybe all 4 years. Will be a lot better college player than pro, imo

Dilione is a balla, but he lacks that NBA level athleticism that a top 10 player should have. I think Freddie is at least, a 3 year college guy, maybe all 4 years. Will be a lot better college player than pro, imo
Not to compare him to Kyrie, but Kyrie isn't a freak athlete. Darius Garland neither.

Carr, a versatile guard, officially visited the week of the UT-Martin game and Tennessee made an impression. Carr has a ton of ties to the Kansas State program but there’s some buzz that this one is going to come down to Tennessee and Northwestern. He has also visited Louisville, Virginia and Kansas St.

Carr could make a decision very soon and sign next week.

African big man Rueben Chinyelu dropped a top-five this week that included Tennessee, Florida, Rutgers, Santa Clara and Washington State.

That’s been a difficult recruitment to follow to say the least. Tennessee, from our understanding, hasn’t had a lot of dialogue with Chinyelu recently—who attends the NBA Global Academy in Sengal—but from what we’ve picked up that’s been pretty common for everyone trying to recruit the talented but raw big man.

-VQ

Zeigler/BJE
Dilione/Carr
Mashack/Jefferson
Estrella/Cade
Aidoo/Chinyelu/Awaka

Now that we landed Carr this lineup is looking more and more likely which I honestly really like the pieces we have there. BJE seems like he will be a great college point guard here in a couple of years

Now that we landed Carr this lineup is looking more and more likely which I honestly really like the pieces we have there. BJE seems like he will be a great college point guard here in a couple of years
I’m not sure Edwards will be a great college point guard, but I hope that he will be great.

Reactions: Willy14
I wonder what the immigration/foreign student or worker rules are as they apply to Plavsic? Since he’ll likely not get picked up by the NBA he might need to remain a student to extend his stay. Or become a citizen. Same for ORN. I think another year for Plavsic is very likely, ON about 50/50 or a bit less depending on how the season plays out, and Santi/JJJ almost certain to leave after this year. I wish that Key had the option of 1 more year. He seems to be on another level compared to the other guards that have transferred in before - Powell, Bailey, Daniel, Darrington, Punter.

Whoa put some respect on Punter's name LOL. Shouldn't be listed with those other guys.

Eh, we will agree to disagree. I like Key a lot so far, but Punter was an absolute savage his senior year.

Key makes his teammates better. They complement each other instead of some only being able to stand around and watch.

I don’t remember Punter playing great defense or being very physical. He could have been the difference at barely making the NCAAT instead of missing it though had he not been injured.

I’d take Key over Punter and it’s not even close. Bailey might have done as well as Punter on those rosters.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Key makes his teammates better. They complement each other instead of some only being able to stand around and watch.

I don’t remember Punter playing great defense or being very physical. He could have been the difference at barely making the NCAAT instead of missing it though had he not been injured.

I’d take Key over Punter and it’s not even close. Bailey might have done as well as Punter on those rosters.

Dude averaged 22 points on the year and SEC play. VBJ would need 45 shots a game to get to that. I don't agree with that statement at all.

Punter didn't have much choice in jacking up shots and still shot 46% from the field and 37% from 3. Physical maybe not, D maybe lacking. But we've seen Key play 1 game. Advanced stats had Punter worth 4 wins even after missing a bunch of games. Also had near an 8 BPM. I think the VBJ talk is pretty disrespectful. VBJ isn't even in the conversation below Punter.

This is not disrespect to Key at all. I hope you end up being right.

Key is far, far better than Punter.
Ehh, he might be, but Punter was an All-SEC player as a SR who averaged 22.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.5 apg, and 1.4 spg. Also shot 37% from 3 and 82% from the FT line.

Highest per game scoring average over the last 30 years dating back to Allan Houston's senior year, and one of only 3 Vols since Houston to average 20+ over a season in that time (Ron Slay and Chris Lofton).

Ehh, he might be, but Punter was an All-SEC player as a SR who averaged 22.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.5 apg, and 1.4 spg. Also shot 37% from 3 and 82% from the FT line.

Highest per game scoring average over the last 30 years dating back to Allan Houston's senior year, and one of only 3 Vols since Houston to average 20+ over a season in that time (Ron Slay and Chris Lofton).

How were the elements other than scoring? As I said, Key complements the lineup.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange

VN Store

Back