2023 Target List

Demary, Carr, Phillips, and Estrella

Get a PG and we may be looking at a final four.

PG - ZZ/BJE/Insert 2023 guy
SG - Demary/Jefferson
SF - Mashack/Carr
PF - ORN/Phillips
C - Uros/Aidoo/Estrella

Am I missing anyone? Pretty sure ORN/Uros have an extra year of eligibility, wonder if they move on and we bring transfers in or Barnes keeps them around, then you have guys like Mashack and Jefferson that are currently struggling and could look elsewhere.

Could potentially see transfers at the SG, SF, and PF positions next year with guys potentially moving on/lack of depth. Will be interesting to see what happens after this upcoming season

My thought process with Kansas is they haven’t pursued him any harder than Duke did and were also late to the party, if that was enough to eliminate Duke it also should have Kansas. And he also doesn’t have a visit scheduled for there while he does for Iowa and Syracuse upcoming, just my thought process.

Is Kansas currently shut down for recruiting? Seems like I saw that regarding their NCAA case recently.

SG - Demary/Jefferson
SF - Mashack/Carr
PF - ORN/Phillips
C - Uros/Aidoo/Estrella

Am I missing anyone? Pretty sure ORN/Uros have an extra year of eligibility, wonder if they move on and we bring transfers in or Barnes keeps them around, then you have guys like Mashack and Jefferson that are currently struggling and could look elsewhere.

Could potentially see transfers at the SG, SF, and PF positions next year with guys potentially moving on/lack of depth. Will be interesting to see what happens after this upcoming season
Mashack will transfer imo

SG - Demary/Jefferson
SF - Mashack/Carr
PF - ORN/Phillips
C - Uros/Aidoo/Estrella

Awaka?

I was told Estrella/family backed off Duke because of their pursuit of Power…guess each side has their own narrative.
Doesn’t line up. Neither Power nor Stojakovic are true bigs, and Power plays outside quite a bit. Power is also talking to UNC, but some say he’s silent to Duke. Can’t see Estrella being bothered by Power, but possible.

Doesn’t line up. Neither Power nor Stojakovic are true bigs, and Power plays outside quite a bit. Power is also talking to UNC, but some say he’s silent to Duke. Can’t see Estrella being bothered by Power, but possible.
I guess if Flip, Reeves and Young all return, there are not enough minutes…

Doesn’t line up. Neither Power nor Stojakovic are true bigs, and Power plays outside quite a bit. He is also seeing UNC before Duke. Can’t see Estrella being bothered by Power.
Power is a 4 at the next level, maybe could play some 3 but not likely….Estrella wants to play mostly 4. Power was literally on Duke’s campus yesterday and Tuesday when it came out from Estrella’s camp that they wouldn’t be visiting Duke. Duke is not in on any other 4/5, they were cut from Xavier Booker’s list, the only other big they were recruiting…makes a lot more sense that Estrella cut them than they cut him, or that Power committed while on his visit and Duke doesn’t have room, but like I said each side will have their own narrative.

Power is a 4 at the next level, maybe could play some 3 but not likely….Estrella wants to play mostly 4. Power was literally on Duke’s campus yesterday and Tuesday when it came out from Estrella’s camp that they wouldn’t be visiting Duke. Duke is not in on any other 4/5, they were cut from Xavier Booker’s list, the only other big they were recruiting…makes a lot more sense that Estrella cut them than they cut him, or that Power committed while on his visit and Duke doesn’t have room, but like I said each side will have their own narrative.

My point was that Power and Estrella have entirely different games (numerical position aside). Definitely a possibility that Power signed on the visit. Also true that the return of their front court next year changes the math. Stojakovic also got an offer right before/after Estrella cancelled. Obviously we’ll never know for sure. Whether Duke tossed Estrella or he dumped them doesn’t change how much I’d love to have him here.

Says he's on an official to Iowa. The only pertinent part as it pertains to Tennessee:

Going against Iowa: Duke was seen as a major threat to the Hawkeyes, but the Blue Devils are no longer in the mix for Estrella, and he canceled his official visit to Duke that was scheduled for the end of July. With Duke out of the race, Estrella's only other official visit is set to Syracuse, though he has started discussing with other schools the possibility of visiting. The Orange is seen as a threat given their proximity to home compared to Iowa while Louisville and Kansas are two other programs showing a lot of interest and could extend an offer. Estrella also made visits to Marquette and Tennessee in June and has both of those schools high on his list. If Estrella schedules more visits, which could be the case, then that could work against Iowa. We'll see if Louisville and Kansas put their foots in the door because those would be notable offers as well. UConn is also in the mix, though Syracuse is likely seen as the biggest competition right now.

Says he's on an official to Iowa. The only pertinent part as it pertains to Tennessee:
Despite his glowing review after his Tennessee visit, this doesn't feel like one of those recruitments where we have a lot of traction for whatever reason. I wonder if the rumors, if true, that we gave the kid an ultimatum re: visiting Duke was as turn-off.

Reactions: berryvol
Despite his glowing review after his Tennessee visit, this doesn't feel like one of those recruitments where we have a lot of traction for whatever reason. I wonder if the rumors, if true, that we gave the kid an ultimatum re: visiting Duke was as turn-off.
I actually think we have a ton of traction with him, doesn’t mean we are raw and away leaders or favorites or anything, but I think we have as good a chance as any of the other teams as of today. His mom absolutely loves Tennessee and the staff, other than Syracuse it’s the only school they spend their own dime to go and see and then also OV to as well.

As for the Duke ultimatum, as I said at the time was true…it wasn’t Barnes saying if you visit Duke you don’t have an offer, it was an assistant telling him that if he visited Duke and his recruitment drug out that they would have to push for some other bigs. Shortly after that the family had a conversation with Barnes and staff and it was relayed to the Estrella’s that Tennessee would continue their pursuit of him as their top target so long as they continued to feel that they were heavily involved for him and not just strung along until he chooses Duke.

Reactions: berryvol
I actually think we have a ton of traction with him, doesn’t mean we are raw and away leaders or favorites or anything, but I think we have as good a chance as any of the other teams as of today. His mom absolutely loves Tennessee and the staff, other than Syracuse it’s the only school they spend their own dime to go and see and then also OV to as well.

As for the Duke ultimatum, as I said at the time was true…it wasn’t Barnes saying if you visit Duke you don’t have an offer, it was an assistant telling him that if he visited Duke and his recruitment drug out that they would have to push for some other bigs. Shortly after that the family had a conversation with Barnes and staff and it was relayed to the Estrella’s that Tennessee would continue their pursuit of him as their top target so long as they continued to feel that they were heavily involved for him and not just strung along until he chooses Duke.
That makes me feel a little better and I'm definitely not conceding anything, just yet. And perhaps it is our own media's lack of coverage/interviews/analysis that has me skittish. I still don't understand the hesitancy to cover basketball more thoroughly year-round for a fanbase that is annually top-10 in attendance. We've had two kids OV, this week, and I've not read/heard a peep about either one even being mentioned.

That makes me feel a little better and I'm definitely not conceding anything, just yet. And perhaps it is our own media's lack of coverage/interviews/analysis that has me skittish. I still don't understand the hesitancy to cover basketball more thoroughly year-round for a fanbase that is annually top-10 in attendance. We've had two kids OV, this week, and I've not read/heard a peep about either one even being mentioned.
I’m with you…I’m guessing the data must back these decisions but it surprises me for sure. GVX247 will do a podcast any time a football player commits, would be curious how those numbers would stack up to a hoops podcast? Or how article about an upcoming football visitor compares to basketball.

Last edited:
Rob Lewis now covers weather. From everything I hear prior to the weekend, it’s Syracuse and us. He has a history with them, and did a camp there as a kid. According to parents, his best visit has been with us.

VN Store

Back