2023 Recruiting

Watched several of 23 Tessa Johnson games lately (SC recruit). Yeah, she can shoot, but the level of play in her division is not high, and the speed of the games is really slow, with little to no pressure defense, hand checking, presses etc…it’s almost like watching pickup games where everyone is being nice. Tessa may well end up a great college player, but she will need to learn to play defense before she sees much court time at SC and the speed of her game will need to be increased immensely. There is a lot of work left for her to be as good as some think. Her handles are not anywhere near elite either…..I think you will see in the AA game she is a step behind the leaders in this class as far as being ready for college defenses and also just how fast she can play the game right now.

Reactions: sgacock
Watched several of 23 Tessa Johnson games lately (SC recruit). Yeah, she can shoot, but the level of play in her division is not high, and the speed of the games is really slow, with little to no pressure defense, hand checking, presses etc…it’s almost like watching pickup games where everyone is being nice. Tessa may well end up a great college player, but she will need to learn to play defense before she sees much court time at SC and the speed of her game will need to be increased immensely. There is a lot of work left for her to be as good as some think. Her handles are not anywhere near elite either…..I think you will see in the AA game she is a step behind the leaders in this class as far as being ready for college defenses and also just how fast she can play the game right now.

I have been to HS games in MN she plays in AAAA Section 6 with Hopkins one if not the best team in the country. You are correct she and every other player that moving on to the next level will need to play defense. Now as far as her offensive skills she is hands down the best shooter in the class. Just watch the AA game She is a 5-11 guard that can shoot and get to the basket very athletic.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I have been to HS games in MN she plays in AAAA Section 6 with Hopkins one if not the best team in the country. You are correct she and every other player that moving on to the next level will need to play defense. Now as far as her offensive skills she is hands down the best shooter in the class. Just watch the AA game She is a 5-11 guard that can shoot and get to the basket very athletic.
dj,

I think she is in for a major shock at the level of exertion that will be required from her on defense and also the pace of the game on both offense and defense. She is playing in a bunch of games where defense is a very low priority and she never sees pressure defense. The speed of many games she is in is really eye opening, I expect a big adjustment period from her in college. Kitts is way more ready at this level to play defense and also the required pace. I'm not thrilled with Johnson's hands or handles at this point either.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Second season of recruiting of high school players for 2023 opens today. I don't know who is left but you can recruit high school players for next season today through May 7th. So both 2023 recruiting and the portal will all be over by may 11th and team rosters will be known. The only option that could affect team rosters is Grad Transfers who are able to move at anytime.

No a few decommitted recently or asked for release I’m guess transfers in is y

I saw Jordan Wood (Hoopgurlz #62) decommitted from Michigan St. (mentioned earlier in this thread) but I’m not sure who else…?

I see Fanta Gassama, the #10 ranked JUCO player decommitted from Cincinnati. She’s also from French-speaking Senegal…

VN Store

Back