2023 Recruiting

If Booker rejects Tennessee it would be truly disappointing -- shocking, even -- to me. Of course we all want the kids to be happy wherever they decide to go, but I thought for sure all those unofficial visits she made to Knoxville meant she was possibly so attracted to the Lady Vol atmosphere she couldn't get enough of being around it, so kept coming back.

Maybe that's still not out of the question, regardless of today's scuttlebutt. I sure would love to find out soon that she ultimately chose Tennessee! Goodness. Gotta hope that.

I’m sure Vic has been on her the longest being as she was in his backyard when he was at MSTATE so it would not totally surprise me but would be a major disappointment but someone who has visited that much and not committed has to be the writing on the wall..

The head coach is always the closer--and this seems to be an issue. If someone visits 5 times and still no commitment, that very much seems a closer problem.

Maybe - Maybe not. Maybe she kept wanting to see herself as a LV, but wanted too much in return, and Kellie was forced to say no. Or maybe Kellie in the end just didn't get the job done. No way of knowing for sure.

The head coach is always the closer--and this seems to be an issue. If someone visits 5 times and still no commitment, that very much seems a closer problem.

Nature of recruiting, win some and lose some. Not making excuses for losing anyone but that’s the way it goes. Hopefully they can finish strong if not you have the portal. I think a really big year would be big long term for HS recruiting.

Maybe - Maybe not. Maybe she kept wanting to see herself as a LV, but wanted too much in return, and Kellie was forced to say no. Or maybe Kellie in the end just didn't get the job done. No way of knowing for sure.

Not to suggest any kind of "special extras" are being requested by any recruits on our current list -- I have not heard of any of that if it has happened -- but if anyone ever does expect Kellie to be willing to arrange illegal benefits for any recruit or their family members it definitely won't happen. Just like in the past when we had parents come right out and tell our staff what some other coach was offering and then giving Tennessee the chance to arrange the same deal to sign with us, well, that kind of thing STILL ain't gonna happen at Tennessee.

And we have lost, and will in the future, recruits because our staff is not willing to make shady deals. Many other coaches are more than happy to do it, though.

There are plenty of Tennessee fans who wish the Lady Vols would drop the standards and just do whatEVER it takes to get those top recruits. A few of those people may even post on this board, I don't know. I do know I'm proud of the way Tennessee staffers conduct themselves on the recruiting trail, even if being above board may occasionally make them lose out to less scrupulous rivals. Again, I am NOT saying any illegal dealings are happening with our targeted recruits. But overly negative recruiting? Pretty safe to say THAT is happening.

We'll get who we get the right way.

Last edited:
Not to suggest any kind of "special extras" are being requested by any recruits on our current list -- I have not heard of any of that if it has happened -- but if anyone ever does expect Kellie to be willing to arrange illegal benefits for any recruit or their family members it definitely won't happen. Just like in the past when we had parents come right out and tell our staff what some other coach was offering and then giving Tennessee the chance to arrange the same deal to sign with us, well, that kind of thing STILL ain't gonna happen at Tennessee.

And we have lost, and will in the future, recruits because our staff is not willing to make shady deals. Many other coaches are more than happy to do it, though.

There are plenty of Tennessee fans who wish the Lady Vols would drop the standards and just do whatEVER it takes to get those top recruits. A few of those people may even post on this board, I don't know. I do know I'm proud of the way Tennessee staffers conduct themselves on the recruiting trail, even if being above board may occasionally make them lose out to less scrupulous rivals. Again, I am NOT saying any illegal dealings are happening with our targeted recruits. But overly negative recruiting? Pretty safe to say THAT is happening.

We'll get who we get the right way.

Let's stop making excuses--suggestions of shady deals (even if you say you aren't suggesting it), negative recruiting, not our kind of player, blah, blah, blah. They're all excuses for the cold, hard fact that we're being out-recruited, which has been the case with high-school recruits since Harper and the new staff arrived.

Let's stop making excuses--suggestions of shady deals (even if you say you aren't suggesting it), negative recruiting, not our kind of player, blah, blah, blah. They're all excuses for the cold, hard fact that we're being out-recruited, which has been the case with high-school recruits since Harper and the new staff arrived.

Seriously? There's a difference between excuses and reasons, and I have it on good authority that there are out-and-out lies being told -- damaging lies -- and that, IMO, should be considered a legitimate reason for some of the hesitancy by recruits. If some guy has no arms and legs, you'd sure not say he was "making excuses" if it turned out he wasn't very good at rock climbing. I mean, there ARE occasionally valid reasons -- not mere "excuses" -- for things to not work out.

Also wanted to say I'm probably not the only one who has noticed how much you seem to genuinely enjoy bringing up and/or piling on every opportunity to carp about how we're being out-recruited. Just seems weird to spend so much energy making sure, nearly every day, everyone knows how strongly you feel about how bad a job Tennessee does at recruiting. Are you grinning while you type it, one hand down your pants? What? I don't get people like you.

Last edited:
Seriously? There's a difference between excuses and reasons, and I have it on good authority that there are out-and-out lies being told -- damaging lies -- and that, IMO, should be considered a legitimate reason for some of the hesitancy by recruits. If some guy has no arms and legs, you'd sure not say he was "making excuses" if it turned out he wasn't very good at rock climbing. I mean, there ARE occasionally valid reasons -- not mere "excuses" -- for things to not work out.

Also wanted to say I'm probably not the only one who has noticed how much you seem to genuinely enjoy bringing up and/or piling on every opportunity to carp about how we're being out-recruited. Just seems weird to spend so much energy making sure, nearly every day, everyone knows how strongly you feel about how bad a job Tennessee does at recruiting. Are you grinning while you type it, one hand down your pants? What? I don't get people like you.
It seems like some of our players could help close some of these recruits. However, this program,facilities and fanbase should be the closer!

You have such a simplistic view of recruiting. It generally takes a very long time to build a relationship with a recruit. If Booker goes to Texas, for example, I won’t be surprised because her relationship with Vic has a longer history than with Kellie.

Also, these are adolescent girls we’re talking about, and they are often likely to make impulsive decisions. They may look like thoughtful choices, but they’re often not. As fans, we can say what should be and things should work this way, but we’re fans not coaches and recruiters.

Since you arrived late 2021! Let’s look at what happened before you jumped on the Kellie cannot recruit bandwagon….,

Kellie arrived in the summer of 2019 three months to recruit before November signing !
Is this the bad recruiting year you are talking about ?

2019-2020….. when a new coach is hired …. EVERYONE CAN LEAVE THE PROGRAM! But Rennia believed in Kellie and stayed ! Got better under Kellie and was drafted #9 in the WNBA!

Rae Burrell stayed and got better and was drafted #9 in the WNBA!

Convinced Jordan Horston #2 ranked player and Macdonalds AA. And TK the now leading rebounder in Tennessee history ! Both convinced to stay and play for Kellie ! They could have left ! Just Saying

2020-2021 tied for #3 in SEC and recruiting in a WORLD WIDE PANDEMIC with no in person visits ! Is this the year you are talking about ?

2021-2022…. Top fifteen recruiting class…let’s not list them ! 😁 finished top #3 SEC and #15 overall. Sweet sixteen and This ended kellie’s third year of coaching.

2022-2023 , they came up with this thing called the PORTAL ! Recruiting just became a different game ! Jillian Hollingshead committed she was #16 overall ranked and a Macdonalds AA ! She said: “I wanted to come to Tennessee but COVID prevented me visiting!” Rickea Jackson, the #3 recruit overall out of high school , a Macdonalds AA , and the leading scorer in the SEC , before entering the portal …. Now this is a player that could have gone anywhere to play but KELLIE RECRUITED HER TO UT !!!!! And don’t forget Justine Pissott #11 and Macdonalds AA . I think you get my message ?
Kellie has been coaching UT FOR 3 years and the first year of recruiting was three months and the second was COVID pandemic, while the third year was a top 15 class… What do you think about this years team ! Every year we get better …. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

P.S. I believe Kellie has three first round draft picks for next years WNBA ! She recruited all three in one way or another! And they all three COULD PLAY ANOTHER YEAR! Just Saying

Last edited:
When Booker did not commit after her official and multiple prior unofficials, that's 95% that she's not coming here.

We still have a good shot with ADR and Velez as long as they still want to play together.

I'd be interested to know what other schools are doing with their NIL vs how we are doing it for HS recruits. I'd guess that most of the best-remaining 2023s are shopping NIL deals.

Booker goes to Texas, for example, I won’t be surprised because her relationship with Vic has a longer history than with Kellie.

Yeah, this past year definitely felt to me like Kellie was about to steal Booker from Vic, as she was Schaefer's to lose before and after Mississippi State's deep Tourney run. If he'd stayed at MissState he'd likely have had the Mississippian's commitment even earlier (assuming he's getting it now). But like I said, with all the visits she took to Knoxville I thought for sure Kellie had somehow managed to pull off a major heist. Obviously she thinks very highly of Tennessee, so I have no doubt that if Booker has made the call to Kellie and Samantha informing her she's going elsewhere, it had to be a really tough call to make.

Wherever she goes I wish her health and happiness.

Since you arrived late 2021! Let’s look at what happened before you jumped on the Kellie cannot recruit bandwagon….,

Kellie arrived in the summer of 2019 three months to recruit before November signing !

2019-2020….. when a new coach is hired …. EVERYONE CAN LEAVE THE PROGRAM! But Rennia believed in Kellie and stayed ! Got better under Kellie and was drafted #9 in the WNBA!

Convinced Jordan Horston #2 ranked player and Macdonalds AA. And TK the now leading rebounder in Tennessee history ! Both convinced to stay and play for Kellie ! They could have left ! Just Saying

2020-2021 tied for #3 in SEC and recruiting in a WORLD WIDE PANDEMIC with no in person visits ! Is this the year you are talking about ?

2021-2022…. Top fifteen recruiting class…let’s not list them ! 😁 finished top #3 SEC and #15 overall. Sweet sixteen and This ended kellie’s third year of coaching.

2022-2023 , they came up with this thing called the PORTAL ! Recruiting just became a different game ! Jillian Hollingshead committed she was #16 overall ranked and a Macdonalds AA ! She said: “I wanted to come to Tennessee but COVID prevented me visiting!” Rickea Jackson, the #3 recruit overall out of high school , a Macdonalds AA , and the leading scorer in the SEC , before entering the portal …. Now this is a player that could have gone anywhere to play but KELLIE RECRUITED HER TO UT !!!!! And don’t forget Justine Pissott #11 and Macdonalds AA . I think you get my message ?
Kellie has been coaching UT FOR 3 years and the first year of recruiting was three months and the second was COVID pandemic, while the third year was a top 15 class… What do you think about this years team ! Every year we get better …. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

P.S. I believe Kellie has three first round draft picks for next years WNBA ! She recruited all three in one way or another! And they all three COULD PLAY ANOTHER YEAR! Just Saying

They don't wanna hear ANY of this 🤣 but it is spot on and even they know that. Let's talk about the 2021 class a class of 4 top 100 players then yes we got a class of 1 signee and one walk on for 2022. The make up for that 22' class was being able to bring in 4 very good players and the number 1 player in the portal.

But facts like that don't matter to people with an agenda.

The part you left out is that Kellie has restored the culture here! No denying that! There aren't teammates beating each other up taking other people's significant others. They aren't dismissals over repeated offenses. And they LIKE one another and that's something that ALL the transfers said brought them here !

They don't wanna hear ANY of this 🤣 but it is spot on and even they know that. Let's talk about the 2021 class a class of 4 top 100 players then yes we got a class of 1 signee and one walk on for 2022. The make up for that 22' class was being able to bring in 4 very good players and the number 1 player in the portal.

The part you left out is that Kellie has restored the culture here! No denying that! There aren't teammates beating each other up taking other people's significant others. They aren't dismissals over repeated offenses. And they LIKE one another and that's something that ALL the transfers said brought them here !

I see 3 top 100 in 2021, per HoopGurlz--no.'s 43, 45 and 62. I'll leave the evaluations of that class to others but you don't need Sherlock Holmes to draw some obvious conclusions. I want Harper to succeed (even if the Fulmer search was a lazy, parochial effort)--but at some point you have to show success. This is year four--and it's a big one.

Agree that the negavols are just stirring the pot !
They don’t mention the Hayes fiascos, or Jamie Nard fighting in the dorms , Green leaving , after her injury , Hayes kicked out of the University Tae and Diamonds handling …. SIGH 😔

I don’t know the rankings of the portal , I do good keeping up with high school kids ! But Rickea and Jillian both Macdonalds AA ! Powell for two more years …… did anyone say we needed a point guard ???? One of the best Junior College players ! I mean … come on !

Kellie’s problems are not matching other high quality teams …… Who starts …. Who plays with who … pressure defense …. How many minutes for this one or that one …..! Keeping everyone happy and excited for each person’s success! If coach reaches this team’s potential I’ll be elated. Can’t wait 😛

Yes. Covid certainly messed up some recruiting.

Agree that the negavols are just stirring the pot !
They don’t mention the Hayes fiascos, or Jamie Nard fighting in the dorms , Green leaving , after her injury , Hayes kicked out of the University Tae and Diamonds handling …. SIGH 😔

I don’t know the rankings of the portal , I do good keeping up with high school kids ! But Rickea and Jillian both Macdonalds AA ! Powell for two more years …… did anyone say we needed a point guard ???? One of the best Junior College players ! I mean … come on !

Kellie’s problems are not matching other high quality teams …… Who starts …. Who plays with who … pressure defense …. How many minutes for this one or that one …..! Keeping everyone happy and excited for each person’s success! If coach reaches this team’s potential I’ll be elated. Can’t wait 😛

Not as confident, but still Not worried
yet!
;o)

Reactions: sisaq

VN Store

Back