2023 Recruiting

Syracuse is home state of Velez . Soooo I could see that for her but winters in NY Verses Tennessee? Again …. Hope u r right

I don't know if it'll have any bearing on her decision, but I recently saw a video that portrayed her as a very proud New Yorker who was excited about all the support she was getting there.

It made me wonder if moving to another town in Tennessee could compete with the pull of "home." Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
so-we-keep-waiting-john-mayer-x96y0wan2vu6lg4h.gif

I don't know if it'll have any bearing on her decision, but I recently saw a video that portrayed her as a very proud New Yorker who was excited about all the support she was getting there.

It made me wonder if moving to another town in Tennessee could compete with the pull of "home." Hopefully we'll find out soon.
Stewie had Syracuse in her Final 5 and knew she was never going there just something to show NY she appreciated syracuse and hopefully put them on other recruits mind. Same could be said for Velez. Do i see her going to Syracuse with no chance of winning anything anytime soon. Not at all , kind gesture though . LVFL is where she needs to be !

This is just my gut feeling:

Nichols - would be shocked if she didn’t come
Booker - same
ADR - I think she comes to Tennessee. LSU got in the game late. SC is promising her the world to come.
Velez - not a package deal with ADR and is open to other choices. I can see her at Tennessee but could also see her at Syracuse.

Don't give up on Velez.
I haven't

Syracuse is a 4 hour drive from NYC and is a lot different culturally, and a LOT colder in the winter.

Syracuse is a 4 hour drive from NYC and is a lot different culturally, and a LOT colder in the winter.

True, but a four-hour drive (probably 2-hour train ride) is a lot closer than a 16-hour drive. Depending on the person, sometimes leaving home -- as Velez did to move to Bell Buckle -- really brings clarity to what you do and don't want out of life. Hopefully she liked Middle Tennessee enough to allow East Tennessee a chance to show her how special life as a Lady Vol can be.

True, but a four-hour drive (probably 2-hour train ride) is a lot closer than a 16-hour drive. Depending on the person, sometimes leaving home -- as Velez did to move to Bell Buckle -- really brings clarity to what you do and don't want out of life. Hopefully she liked Middle Tennessee enough to allow East Tennessee a chance to show her how special life as a Lady Vol can be.

She didn’t just leave home ….. As she has spoken in her videos about basketball and going to college…. Webb being a high quality educational institution is known for all students being ready and meeting college entrance expectations! Their basketball program is starting to be known as a powerhouse! Granted leaving home is a big decision. This decision will allow her to reach those personal goals that are obviously important to her . JMO

Reactions: dapeak and lvocd
Does anyone know what is going on or what this means?

Maybe Im reading into it too much but it doesn't sound like good news with regards to a 23 recruit(s) but that things will workout down the road and the Lady Vols will put many in their places this upcoming year and the future.

ADR/Velez just visited LSU
Booker visited Texas
Nichols visited OU

Kim would be the type to negative recruit although she has trophies/success she can legitimately sell to recruits. Vic has a history of negative recruiting when he was at Miss St so that could be something. No clue on the OU coach and her recruiting tactics.

Last edited:

Maybe Im reading into it too much but it doesn't sound like good news with regards to a 23 recruit(s) but that things will workout down the road and the Lady Vols will put many in their places this upcoming year and the future.

Interesting! I’d love to be a fly on the wall during some of those conversations!

If I was a recruit’s family, I’d be totally turned off by negative recruiting tactics.

Interesting! I’d love to be a fly on the wall during some of those conversations!

If I was a recruit’s family, I’d be totally turned off by negative recruiting tactics.

Negative recruiting is part of the game--in every sport. That's always been the case. What this possibly sounds like to me is more rationalizing for losing a recruit(s). I hope that's not the case--we shall see. Recruiting is dog-eat-dog, of course. When you're winning and a national contender regularly, you don't have to worry about it much. But when you've not been a national contender and you're fighting programs that have been for a top prospect, they are for sure going to slip some negativity into conservations with the kids. You have to deal with it--period. It's not like our staff doesn't know the deal. The art of recruiting is to develop a feel for the personality of the prospect. Most of the time, it's about building a positive rapport with the prospect and presenting your program in the most positive way--but if recruiters sense that a prospect isn't leaning their way, that's when they're likely to start mentioning issues--whether legit or not--with rival programs.

Last edited:

Booker visited Texas
Nichols visited OU

Kim would be the type to negative recruit although she has trophies/success she can legitimately sell to recruits. Vic has a history of negative recruiting when he was at Miss St so that could be something. No clue on the OU coach and her recruiting tactics.

Sounds like Maria being Maria 🙄

Booker visited Texas
Nichols visited OU

Not only u..I saw it and the sign shows commitment

Negative recruiting is part of the game--in every sport. That's always been the case. What this possibly sounds like to me is more rationalizing for losing a recruit(s). I hope that's not the case--we shall see. Recruiting is dog-eat-dog, of course. When you're winning and a national contender regularly, you don't have to worry about it much. But when you've not been a national contender and you're fighting programs that have been for a top prospect, they are for sure going to slip some negativity into conservations with the kids. You have to deal with it--period. It's not like our staff doesn't know the deal. The art of recruiting is to develop a feel for the personality of the prospect. Most of the time, it's about building a positive rapport with the prospect and presenting your program in the most positive way--but if recruiters sense that a prospect isn't leaning their way, that's when they're likely to start mentioning issues--whether legit or not--with rival programs.
So Maria is someone who actually does have inside knowledge of the program and yet you dismiss her comments out of hand and turn the meaning of the comments to fit your narrative that 2023 recruiting is a bust. You are nothing if not consistent.

To Maria’s point, programs/coaches are legit worried Kellie is about to get the Lady Vols back to contending for national championships every year . No one can compete with the Lady Vol brand. The negative recruiting against Tennessee is incredible . These 2023 are taking their time and I still won’t be surprised if we sign all 4. Kellie has home visits lined up as well. Some of y’all need to chill.

To Maria’s point, programs/coaches are legit worried Kellie is about to get the Lady Vols back to contending for national championships every year . No one can compete with the Lady Vol brand. The negative recruiting against Tennessee is incredible . These 2023 are taking their time and I still won’t be surprised if we sign all 4. Kellie has home visits lined up as well. Some of y’all need to chill.

Contradictory conclusions there (and with your sky-is-falling posting history, not surprised). Negative recruitment is done precisely because we're a recruiting threat. Not saying I'm enjoying this, per se, because in past years it's been successful at turning away recruits, but negative attention from elite coaches is, in a way, a great thing for us.

My hope is that the players being fed vicious lies about Tennessee are the ones informing our staff how bad competing coaches have gotten. I say "being fed vicious lies" because I don't think Pat would be ready to "kick the lid of her coffin to come settle it herself" if the opposing coaches were merely being overly dismissive of Tennessee over how many years it has been since they got beyond the S16, about how Kellie was fired after coming up short at NCSt, about how relatively few recent Lady Vols have stuck in the pros, and so on. Things like that are negative and painful, but they're not lies. It is what it is, and Pat wouldn't be coffin-busting mad over that.

No, something totally, viciously false must be being said about Tennessee to get that reaction.

And then what I meant by saying I hope the recruits themselves are informing our staff of the lies being told is because I believe that's a sign of loyalty and of integrity. Several Lady Vols from the past, including Candace Parker, went to Pat to tell her what was being said. She (and her family) was so upset and angry about one coach's lies that I don't think she will ever forgive him. Of course, he got HIS revenge on her for rejecting him by leaving her, the reigning WNBA MVP, off the Olympic team....

I guess my point is, opposing coaches better be absolutely SURE they are not about to push a lie to someone with Lady Vol-level integrity, 'cause it might just backfire.

The scare tactics from other schools in recruiting against Tennessee is just out of line. These are 17 year old kids who can easily be manipulated by hall of fame coaches with just one word. See Geno with Maya and her mom . Playing dirty does not always guarantee a win , id hope these players have visited and come up with their own conclusion versus hearsay from a rival school. Something about this has Vic and Kim written all over it.

The scare tactics from other schools in recruiting against Tennessee is just out of line. These are 17 year old kids who can easily be manipulated by hall of fame coaches with just one word. See Geno with Maya and her mom . Playing dirty does not always guarantee a win , id hope these players have visited and come up with their own conclusion versus hearsay from a rival school. Something about this has Vic and Kim written all over it.

I believe that If it's main te be that we will get them, we will...No amount of lies & side money can turn them away.

Reactions: LUVMESUMVOL
So what is being said about us?

I can understand references to Holly's regime. That is fair, if outdated. But I don't think Maria would complain about that. It has to be a lie or something outside the bounds of proper recruiting for her to get worked up over it. But either way, IMO Maria shouldn't publish stuff like this unless she is willing to state plainly what is being said and who is saying it. Investigate it and provide the receipts or don't report it because it is just hearsay and will look like sour grapes. Gossip and rumormongering is for message boards.

Reading between the lines here it sounds like our status with at least one of the recruits materially changed, or was at least threatened, over something that was told to them and Maria is trying to counteract it. I am sure the staff is aware of it and working on it as well.

I believe that If it's main te be that we will get them, we will...No amount of lies & side money can turn them away.
You are right we got to give these young ladies credit for knowing whats fabricated and whats real they have visited the campus and been around the players and coaches to know what the LV program is like and no one would ever say that Vic and Kim have more integrity and good moral character than COACH HARPER.those coaches wont fool a player or parent putting down our coach and program and our recruiting coaches Coach Joy and Coach Sam are as real as it gets players can see that

So what is being said about us?

I can understand references to Holly's regime. That is fair, if outdated. But I don't think Maria would complain about that. It has to be a lie or something outside the bounds of proper recruiting for her to get worked up over it. But either way, IMO Maria shouldn't publish stuff like this unless she is willing to state plainly what is being said and who is saying it. Investigate it and provide the receipts or don't report it because it is just hearsay and will look like sour grapes. Gossip and rumormongering is for message boards.

Reading between the lines here it sounds like our status with at least one of the recruits materially changed, or was at least threatened, over something that was told to them and Maria is trying to counteract it. I am sure the staff is aware of it and working on it as well.
No doubt any concerns another coach put in a players mind about the LV they would address it back to our coaches and they would set the record straight with them

VN Store

Back