2023 Recruiting

What about Rosario (or Del Rosario)--out of the Webb School, Nashville, ranked 13 on HoopGurlz. Are we not recruiting her?

Isn't Coach Williams really saying that culture matters. To me this is why Coach Warlick is a TV color analysts and not the Lady Vols head coach. Of course Coach Harper gets it and understands culture is the key to success.

Unfortunately, by the time Coach Warlick was replaced, Coach Summitt's well engrained cuture was completely gone. From dorm fights with film...to recruiting two highly rated players for the same position ...Hayes and Westbrook. Perhaps we made promises to both. Then allowing parents to post their complaints on Social Media without ever calling them to discuss disconnects. Or telling reporters you were unaware of the problems. It's taken a few years but we are trending up.

This is why I think Coach Harper controlling the media and dictating the narrative has created the best culture I have seen...in ....well a lot of years.

Isn't Coach Williams really saying that culture matters. To me this is why Coach Warlick is a TV color analysts and not the Lady Vols head coach. Of course Coach Harper gets it and understands culture is the key to success.

Unfortunately, by the time Coach Warlick was replaced, Coach Summitt's well engrained cuture was completely gone. From dorm fights with film...to recruiting two highly rated players for the same position ...Hayes and Westbrook. Perhaps we made promises to both. Then allowing parents to post their complaints on Social Media without ever calling them to discuss disconnects. Or telling reporters you were unaware of the problems. It's taken a few years but we are trending up.

This is why I think Coach Harper controlling the media and dictating the narrative has created the best culture I have seen...in ....well a lot of years.
You can control the narrative in the grace period or as long as you play nice and allow questions from reporters. Warlick was in the middle of the social media explosion and had a few part of this generation (parents included) who believes it is ok to take to social media as an avenue of communication. Culture matters, but even Pat took a few that needed guidance along the way and those stories aren't out there as fast due to no social media.

You can control the narrative in the grace period or as long as you play nice and allow questions from reporters. Warlick was in the middle of the social media explosion and had a few part of this generation (parents included) who believes it is ok to take to social media as an avenue of communication. Culture matters, but even Pat took a few that needed guidance along the way and those stories aren't out there as fast due to no social media.

Right: Top coaches bend players to the culture--and if you have a winning program, with a well-respected coach, nearly all players will want to fit in with the culture. It is a little tougher today, admittedly--but if you only look for players of the highest character you're going to end up with a lot of 3-star role players. I'm not suggesting that we recruit prospects who have bad-apple potential--not at all--but good coaches can get the buy-in from top prospects in a lot of cases. Not always: The men's team just lost a 5-star who could have had a big role next year because, apparently, he and his noisy parents weren't satisfied with the playing time he got this past season--and he's a guy who enrolled here in what would have been his senior HS year. It's even harder on the men's side with the top prospects because their families are typically desperate for that NBA money. That's all they care about--very tacky. Daddy want his new ride...

Why so many non-lady vol fans posting in here?

Unless you have specific UT recruiting info to share y’all need to stay out of the recruiting threads. I rarely post in them so that they can stay organized. We certainly don’t need 4-5 non-lady vol fans trashing our program and Coach in the recruiting threads.

How big of a recruit is Pissott? Jackson? For now we do not know Harper's recruiting ceiling. That's a work in progress, turbo. And progress is being made, and that is evident.

So, Jordy, Key and Burrell have had WNBA aspirations from the start, and they trusted Tennessee and Holly to be the ones to develop them to that goal. Then Holly leaves, and a new coach comes in. Some left, which was entirely understandable. You're either comfortable or not with the new coach. But they had to have had the same amount of trust in Harper as they did in Holly to stay. They elected to stay and trust Harper with their future aspirations. Those are three recruiting wins with some big-time players. I didn't say they were Harper's recruits entirely. I said you can give both coaches credit for them being at Tennessee in the aftermath of Hollie's firing. And I stand by that.
In reality the argument related to who stayed, who left, and who was recruited by whom means nothing if you can’t do anything with what was left. Right now KJH has done a good job. In addition she has added some interesting pieces to the mix. There is no doubt that Holly was an excellent recruiter but did nothing to match her recruiting to her ability to coach up what she had. Except for convincing Holly’s recruits to stay, we only know about her ability to convince one of the 11th best freshmen players in the class of 22. That really is not that bad, especially when you consider what she has done in recruiting the portal. Potentially this could be one of the best teams the LVs have had since 2008. I am in no way comparing them player to player to the 2008 Championship team, however, they have a load of potential and athleticism. We have to see if KJH can make it work. I believe she can.

In reality the argument related to who stayed, who left, and who was recruited by whom means nothing if you can’t do anything with what was left. Right now KJH has done a good job. In addition she has added some interesting pieces to the mix. There is no doubt that Holly was an excellent recruiter but did nothing to match her recruiting to her ability to coach up what she had. Except for convincing Holly’s recruits to stay, we only know about her ability to convince one of the 11th best freshmen players in the class of 22. That really is not that bad, especially when you consider what she has done in recruiting the portal. Potentially this could be one of the best teams the LVs have had since 2008. I am in no way comparing them player to player to the 2008 Championship team, however, they have a load of potential and athleticism. We have to see if KJH can make it work. I believe she can.

Agree. Harper hasn't done anything so far to make me doubt her ability to coach em. Her biggest problem will be keeping them happy with playing time.

Agree. Harper hasn't done anything so far to make me doubt her ability to coach em. Her biggest problem will be keeping them happy with playing time.
I agree 100% the more legit talent you have the harder it will be to please everyone. However, I think KJH plan is to play in your face fast pace defense. To get maximum effectiveness, she will have to pray either a 9 or 10 player rotation. Now if she has 4 or 5 players she is giving very little playing time, she is bound to lose someone to the portal unless all are willing to wait their turn. That is one reason KJH has to be able to recruit the portal as well as she does incoming freshmen.

Reactions: Wfcwhd10 and PRG
I agree 100% the more legit talent you have the harder it will be to please everyone. However, I think KJH plan is to play in your face fast pace defense. To get maximum effectiveness, she will have to pray either a 9 or 10 player rotation. Now if she has 4 or 5 players she is giving very little playing time, she is bound to lose someone to the portal unless all are willing to wait their turn. That is one reason KJH has to be able to recruit the portal as well as she does incoming freshmen.

Agree with most of your statements but leaning away from transferring out ? Next year should be special for Lady Vol fans …. But 2023—2024 has yet to materialize. Looking at what will be left ! Only 8 players that could transfer out but should see more playing time as their Junior years and third year under Kellie !

Powell has said she would spend that extra year ! Tess and Marta will be in their senior (4th) in education but will have extra year’s available! Tess has already stated she got her freshman year back ! And little sister still their ? Now Marta may graduate and go home without using her extra years ? Now the four player class of Stricklin, Puckett, Myles, and Wynn . There could be some grumbling this year ? But their junior years they are the main players along with Pissott …… 🤷‍♂️

Now what we don’t know is the portal and the 2023 freshmen class coming in ! I doubt we get a group like this latest one out of the portal for 2023 year? Are we going to get freshmen players that will come in and start for 2023 ? I hope so ! But I believe the players ( underclassmen ) will hang with us and we will start getting more top players coming in as freshmen classes of the future! JMO

2023 Returnees if projections prove true. Powell , Hollingshead, Darby, Suarez , Puckett, Wynn, Miles, Striplin, Pissott.

Six scholarships to give.

A squad I could see a lot of 2023 and 2024 players really wanting to play with. Will be a great group, hope we can continue to avoid the transfer bug for the most part.

ROCKY TOP IS THE MOVE!!! 🍊🧡🍊🧡🍊🧡🍊

come on down 2023 ladies, don’t be shy now!

VN Store

Back