2023 Recruiting

Well, certainly not on ten players and no consensus top 20. Not hating on the 21 class or Pissott but none of the 21s were ranked as elite. If we were getting who she felt we needed, she would not have made two coaching changes either.

You might want to check that again... Pissott is now considered a 5 star👀👀👀

Also, remember Pissott didn’t go to a bunch of evaluation events to improve her ranking this has been done through hard work and going to a few elite camps, her HS season and she just started playing for a new AAU team.
I think the new rankings will reflect her rankings will improve.

Also, it looks like Kellie made one coaching change as it was widely known Coach Sullivan was looking to be a head coach and left to be one. She wasn’t let go.

Last edited:
I think saying “lack of success with elite kids the first few classes” is an overstatement at best. The incoming class has elite talent and 2022 has started off with a top 20 player and is far from being done.
That actually won’t be known until they actually hit the court! Not every player’s game translate form high school to college. And that goes for those ranked in the top. Recruiting is a gamble for all coaches. I’m high on 3 of the 4 but hope all of being elite talent to the college level

I think when she got here, her eyes were still on recruits that were top of the line for where she was...Yes she has played in the SEC and even against the SEC, but until you play in a conference now, and, continually, you forget how it is. . . . Judging by how many hooks are cast into the recruitment waters,,,,Coach K is learning how to fish in this lake
The SEC has been known as the best of the best so I still don’t believe that theory. The toughest conference year in and year out, so you mean to tell me she had no clue of what she’d face? I love Harper and think she will get it right but I refuse to believe that she didn’t know what it’d take to win in the SEC. She was coached by Pat who knew that you had to go out and get the best of the best. So none of that translated with her?

Reactions: glv98 and 1reVOLver
For a coach who has played in the SEC at an elite level should already know what it take to win in the SEC!
Y’all can make excuses all you want but it’s not like she was living in a bubble. She was coached by the best who knew you had to go out and get the best to be the best! But I hear ya lol

The SEC of 22 years ago was a different place than the SEC of today, in all sports. Your statement above is that she should have known who to recruit today on the basis of her experience as a player in the league 22 years ago. That's a joke, right? LOL?

She was a head coach at three schools before she got to UT. She took a mid major (MIssouri State) to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen the year before she got here. That means she already knew what kind of player she would need to recruit in the SEC when she got here. But knowing and doing are two different things sometimes. She hasn't yet re-established UT as a national brand. It's an uphill climb. She has a tough row to hoe to get there. She's in a pretty good place with the 21 recruits coming in. NO one is making excuses for where she is now with respect to elite recruiting. We're trying to explain to you and her other recruiting detractors that it is a process. It's unfair to expect her to walk in the door with her resume and immediately start recruiting the top five players. That will take time and a lot of hard work. She may get there and she may not. But she will have to go through the process to see if she succeeds or fails. Therfore she needs support. Hounding her with catcalls from the cheap seats about her recruiting at this early stage in the process is asinine.

You might want to check that again... Pissott is now considered a 5 star👀👀👀

Also, remember Pissott didn’t go to a bunch of evaluation events to improve her ranking this has been done through hard work and going to a few elite camps, her HS season and she just started playing for a new AAU team.
I think the new rankings will reflect her rankings will improve.

Also, it looks like Kellie made one coaching change as it was widely known Coach Sullivan was looking to be a head coach and left to be one. She wasn’t let go.

The comments were about taking the next step to land some elite top ten type kids like the perennial final four teams again. There can be close to thirty five stars but there is usually a big difference in the top three to five and the lower. end. But again, it wasn’t about Pissott at all. I’d bet staff changes, or if you prefer change, were largely about lack of traction with top players in either 21 or 22. And without any doubt, neither KH nor her recruiters came to TN with broad relationships with elite kids based on their previous recruiting level. We don’t have to recruit like UConn or SC right away but sprinkle in one elite a year on top of the 21 class and Pissott and she is really on her way to TN type success imo. I’m pulling for the new coaches and KH to get that done.

The comments were about taking the next step to land some elite top ten type kids like the perennial final four teams again. There can be close to thirty five stars but there is usually a big difference in the top three to five and the lower. end. But again, it wasn’t about Pissott at all. I’d bet staff changes, or if you prefer change, were largely about lack of traction with top players in either 21 or 22. And without any doubt, neither KH nor her recruiters came to TN with broad relationships with elite kids based on their previous recruiting level. We don’t have to recruit like UConn or SC right away but sprinkle in one elite a year on top of the 21 class and Pissott and she is really on her way to TN type success imo. I’m pulling for the new coaches and KH to get that done.

👌🏾

Cori Allen is transferring to Montverde Academy in Florida. 2022 recruit Janiah Barker also attends Montverde.

You don’t just move into the neighborhood and attend this school! Annual tuition is approximately 51K and an admission process to get in ..... Just Saying!

I hate to see her leave Nashville where I could have gotten to watch her play . But she will get a good pre college education and a lot better BB experience! This alone would make me want her even more at UT ! This is a good move by her and family.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back