2023 Recruiting

Quote from previously posted link to article on Riley Stack.

Stack was born and raised in Tennessee and moved to the Anderson area just before her freshman year. One thing that stuck out to her immediately was the elevated profile of girls basketball in her new home.
"Basketball here really helped get my name out," Stack said.

Any insight from those living in Tennessee?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I was surprised that she got an offer from SC a really thin girl that will need to bulk up to play in the SEC.

Asia Dozier was her AAU coach and her dad is a SC Alum. Unless she puts on about 50lbs I think she’ll have a tough time in the SEC. She has the same build as Nancy Mulkey. Too thin for my liking. They never get to where they can post somebody up.

Unless she puts on about 50lbs I think she’ll have a tough time in the SEC. She has the same build as Nancy Mulkey. Too thin for my liking. They never get to where they can post somebody up.

She's only a sophomore, so there's a chance that she can bulk up before college.

On a related note...I always wondered how DeWanna Bonner was not only a star in the SEC, but has had such a successful career. Everytime I see her on TV, I just want to get the poor girl a burger and large fries.

She's only a sophomore, so there's a chance that she can bulk up before college.

On a related note...I always wondered how DeWanna Bonner was not only a star in the SEC, but has had such a successful career. Everytime I see her on TV, I just want to get the poor girl a burger and large fries.

I think for DeWanna it’s because she can play on the perimeter. She’s more similar to Rennia and likes that finesse game or getting to the rim off the bounce.

This young lady definitely looks like she’s going to need to bulk up. Sounds like she’s planning to play in the post but when you’re that thin you get pushed around everywhere. That’s why Nancy Mulkey ended up mostly setting screens in CUSA. She’s 6’9” but can’t post someone up without getting pushed to the free throw line.

took a minute for her dad to put on weight.

Tell that to Dewanna Bonner.
Bonner was much physically stronger than this player even at her playing weight. If they are planning on her being a perimeter player it might work a lot of work to do to be a post player in the SEC. She would get pushed around like a rag doll.

Bonner was much physically stronger than this player even at her playing weight. If they are planning on her being a perimeter player it might work a lot of work to do to be a post player in the SEC. She would get pushed around like a rag doll.
I would take her within a minute. She has plenty of time to grow more, add muscle, and learn the post. Plus, she can play any position she wants to play. Would love to have her at the 3 or 4.

Yes elite talent is important, you need a couple go to players... but I think CKHJ builds cohesive TEAMS and not just a “standout player and the supporting cast.”

Yes elite talent is important, you need a couple go to players... but I think CKHJ builds cohesive TEAMS and not just a “standout player and the supporting cast.”
I don’t think CK is opposed to recruiting super star to play for her. In@ctually think that you almost have to have at least one to recruit enough good player# to win Championships. The three teams she played on @nd won NCAA Championships had a number of the best players in women’s basketball. Most teams who win have great players, even today. The secret is recruiting those players and teaching them to play together.

I don’t think CK is opposed to recruiting super star to play for her. In@ctually think that you almost have to have at least one to recruit enough good player# to win Championships. The three teams she played on @nd won NCAA Championships had a number of the best players in women’s basketball. Most teams who win have great players, even today. The secret is recruiting those players and teaching them to play together.

The secret is not accepting play that is less than what they are capable of !

Kellie recruited and extended offers to all of those McD AAs that decided to go to SC, UConn, Texas and UNC. Saying she isn't going after elite talent is not accurate; unfortunately, she's not winning the recruiting battles.

A team needs a couple of go to players plus every starter to be at least a competent scorer and two or three players off the bench that can play without lessening the efficiency of the team. Tennessee had three this year and one is graduating so we come back with two and need six more. Horston could become one maybe another roster player or two and hopefully a couple of the freshmen can play well enough off the bench. Just to many question marks to know the answer to so any additions that we can get from the portal that are proven players should be welcome by the coaching staff.

Kellie recruited and extended offers to all of those McD AAs that decided to go to SC, UConn, Texas and UNC. Saying she isn't going after elite talent is not accurate; unfortunately, she's not winning the recruiting battles.

If it isn’t working as is, does she need to upgrade with an elite recruiter?

Reactions: Memvol44

VN Store

Back