2023 Recruiting

So says the self-styled know-it-all who in fact knows nothing. Still waiting on all those lock commitments!

feel better now?

I too am waiting on a commitment lock...Someone needs close the deal on a long-termer
what I am also wondering is what changed their minds?

opinion or statement?

I can't speak for Memvol, but it's the best possible explanation for our "closing issue". We are talking about multiple players that we led for taking a late "trip" to schools that we know are taking this NIL very seriously.

I can't speak for Memvol, but it's the best possible explanation for our "closing issue". We are talking about multiple players that we led for taking a late "trip" to schools that we know are taking this NIL very seriously.
It's possible that it is a money issue. But it's also possible that it's not. Without facts (And I'm not sure how we're going to get them) it's all speculation. How can we be sure that we "led" in some instances ?

Thank you btw !!
gonna be an interesting season.
Right now we are a "sum of the parts" team
the parts have to become a whole

I've coached teams I built and teams where kids left their teams to join my organization
won with both
lost with both

This wil be a transitional year if it works out to a Natty
it will affect how the portal is used, and why

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
If money changed their minds, they you and everyone should start railing about NIL, as I've been doing. NIL has become stupid and seedy and unseemly. This is college--or supposed to be.

Eh, when the LVs have not closed on recruits in the past, there are always suspicions that some kind of under the table deal or other subterfuge was to blame. NILs are not likely to be that big of differentiator among the top women's programs. Every top tie program is playing that game, including the Vols

NIL Maximization Efforts Steadily Progressing on Rocky Top - University of Tennessee Athletics

In Football and men's b-ball it may that rich alumni put out massive $ to outbid for a top recruit. That situation is not likely to happen in women's b-ball

Eh, when the LVs have not closed on recruits in the past, there are always suspicions that some kind of under the table deal or other subterfuge was to blame. NILs are not likely to be that big of differentiator among the top women's programs. Every top tie program is playing that game, including the Vols

NIL Maximization Efforts Steadily Progressing on Rocky Top - University of Tennessee Athletics

In Football and men's b-ball it may that rich alumni put out massive $ to outbid for a top recruit. That situation is not likely to happen in women's b-ball
why not?
aren't there women-owned businesses
aren't the Lady Vols BB the highest visibility in Knoxville,,,maybe even in TN (what would be higher?)

NIL has to be handled by a business person to perform like a business

why not?
aren't there women-owned businesses
aren't the Lady Vols BB the highest visibility in Knoxville,,,maybe even in TN (what would be higher?)

NIL has to be handled by a business person to perform like a business

That is not my point. I think in WBB, among the relevant schools (i..e, strong programs), NIL is kind of an even playing field where players get deals with various local businesses and companies. If a player gets established, they can get some corporate deals (and UT like other programs) have staff to facilitate those linkages.

So, for WBB, NIL is the price of entry but it probably does not differentiate among schools in top recruits' decision making because they are going to comparable NIL deals where ever they go. (although there can always be the occasional exception).

What have seen in football, like at Texas A&M, is that a rich alumni will set up a multi-million $ NILs to buy a prized recruit and outbid other rivals (like Bama). I just don't see women's b-ball generating that kind of bidding battle.

That is not my point. I think in WBB, among the relevant schools (i..e, strong programs), NIL is kind of an even playing field where players get deals with various local businesses and companies. If a player gets established, they can get some corporate deals (and UT like other programs) have staff to facilitate those linkages.

So, for WBB, NIL is the price of entry but it probably does not differentiate among schools in top recruits' decision making because they are going to comparable NIL deals where ever they go. (although there can always be the occasional exception).

What have seen in football, like at Texas A&M, is that a rich alumni will set up a multi-million $ NILs to buy a prized recruit and outbid other rivals (like Bama). I just don't see women's b-ball generating that kind of bidding battle.

It can be uneven in women's sports too. Look at what LSU is doing with softball. I suspect LSU and Texas are working some big deals for wcbb too.

gonna be an interesting season.
Right now we are a "sum of the parts" team
the parts have to become a whole

I've coached teams I built and teams where kids left their teams to join my organization
won with both
lost with both

This wil be a transitional year if it works out to a Natty
it will affect how the portal is used, and why
I dont agree with you much lol but your preaching on this post . Totally agree 100%.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
We are going to have to program our minds and accept NIL is the future. Whether biggest contracts at this losing school matters or not its going to become a thing. We either jump on board or get left behind without the top players who have us as finalist. SC is ahead of the curve already with their 25K per player deal. LSU is doing something similar , waiting to see if We get on this train because it would be a crucial ticket to miss. Accepting this is where the game is going and becoming on the college level is the biggest thorn in the side of tradition and Cultural practices.

Last edited:
One thing I like about our coaches is that they never get tired recruiting. Commit to us or not they're recruiting. Since college ball has turned to pro ball, which I love that portal style very much... our coaches understand that very much while some fans think when we don't get wat we wanted it's the end, but no, they're fighting, and recruiting. Portal now is like trading or signing a player just like pro sports. Top school use to picked up top high school recruits and won it all, but that's not the case anymore.

VN Store

Back