2023 Recruiting

This is perfect for me. Is she agile around the basket? Can she put the ball on the floor? Is she an upgrade offensively to TK? Defensively? Mind you I think if she comes she gets solid minutes as a freshman but by her junior year the floor is hers. Do you see a high ceiling?

All good questions….. agile ? Hard to say because she spends some time on the floor! This is because the munchkins get up under and try to push her around when they are not bumping into her and flopping like she ran over them ! I did see her intersept a pass and dribble the full length of the court and make a lay up at full speed !!!! She is offensively better than TK . JMO. Defensively she does not have the ability that TK has to block shots . I think she will be one of our pros from UT ! (IF) 🙏

Well, this and all fan message boards exist for those who have the time and energy to pay a great deal of attention to what's happening in their favorite sports universe. Considering how kids today crave "likes" and "follows" like crack, it makes sense to me why they might enjoy all the attention they get on these boards. Yes, some of the attention can be negative, but for the most part I feel like it comes through loud and clear that people on this type of board want to cheer for them and lavish attention and time on them.

Everything you've said is reasonable. None of it constitutes proof that, “It’s well known that recruits read this forum…”

We rarely see anything negative about recruits themselves. Some fans are more positive than others about the recruiting prowess of the staff. Separate topics.

The high school kids I have contact with, mostly athletes, spend most of their time (1) being students, (2) being athletes, in practice, in training, in games, going to sports camps, playing pickup games for fun,(3) doing social media stuff, especially, but not exclusively, Instagram, Tik-tok, twitter, facebook (to stay in touch with grandparents), (4) looking at ranking services and reading sports press, etc. In their not so abundant free time, it is absolutely possible that they glance at McGraw's Bench, Sic'em 365, Volnation.com, the boneyard, etc.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I can say for a fact that recruits, parents, handlers, and coaches read this board and every other popular message board. They are looking at how fans treat the players, both after a win and a loss, if a player has a bad game or a good game.

Everything said on here, and other boards, is scrutinized to fit a narrative either for or against the school that the board supports, and in the past, posts on this board have caused recruits not to entertain Tennessee. When a coach tells a family that we have the best fans in the world, but they come here and read some of the things written, it paints a very different picture than what the coaches are telling recruits and families.

All I’m going to say is, being mad or upset is fleeting, but screenshots are forever.

I can say for a fact that recruits, parents, handlers, and coaches read this board and every other popular message board. They are looking at how fans treat the players, both after a win and a loss, if a player has a bad game or a good game.

Everything said on here, and other boards, is scrutinized to fit a narrative either for or against the school that the board supports, and in the past, posts on this board have caused recruits not to entertain Tennessee. When a coach tells a family that we have the best fans in the world, but they come here and read some of the things written, it paints a very different picture than what the coaches are telling recruits and families.

All I’m going to say is, being mad or upset is fleeting, but screenshots are forever.
Which is a HUGEEEEE problem. If I’m a fan of an opposing team and I took this to heart, I could literally make an account masquerading as a Lady Vol fan and spew negativity sprinkled with a little positivity to throw the scent off.

I wish people would really take what’s been said on antiquated message boards with a grain of salt. Really anything said outside of family, close friends, and coaches, in the space of the internet with a grain of salt. This new world of social media is nasty and allows for negativity behind a computer or cell phone to run rampant. If they’re looking for how fans treat their players and point out a couple of messages on the internet and equate that to the whole fan base, that’s honestly insane.

Yea, there have been a few who posted for weeks that four/five recruits were almost certain locks for Tennessee. It was all the usual nonsense. Notice how Jumper hasn't been around much lately....and there are others. This thread surely sets a record for most posts relative to number of commitments. 137 PAGES of '23 recruiting posts and ZERO commitments.

On the 17th I noticed things pointing south. (A poster on here followed me this time through the whole journey)...Angelica started to grow distant.

I gave hints of this
we can't let recruits think so long,,,"Think long think wrong"... Been a mantra for years.

We need to "close some deals".

I am 100% behind Coach K
I am also not going to go soft on coaching
and that means recruiting too
There are two main players out there that I want
Time to go and get them

and this is what I did in open forum. I did more in closed forum. We lost this one. Maybe someday my source will trust me enough to say how or why.

But no, I didn't disappear. Everyone who is anyone on this site knows I am not intimidated bc of my lack of successes. Remember Moe? I thought we had her too and based on my source we were in it right up to the day. But she chose another school.

This one, nope, I felt it on the 17th and let my "rider" know we were losing her. Something changed in that timeframe.

Ditto

Which is a HUGEEEEE problem. If I’m a fan of an opposing team and I took this to heart, I could literally make an account masquerading as a Lady Vol fan and spew negativity sprinkled with a little positivity to throw the scent off.

I wish people would really take what’s been said on antiquated message boards with a grain of salt. Really anything said outside of family, close friends, and coaches, in the space of the internet with a grain of salt. This new world of social media is nasty and allows for negativity behind a computer or cell phone to run rampant. If they’re looking for how fans treat their players and point out a couple of messages on the internet and equate that to the whole fan base, that’s honestly insane.
this already happens

We definitely know some of the LVs read this board. Someone (not mentioning names) posted something negative about Emily one time and she made the exact post her header in twitter.

I have also heard that there are other coaches of major D1 programs that are apart of this site and they go back and tell/show recruits things out of here. With some of the recruiting tactics we have seen by certain coaches i wouldn't think that is too far off for some of them.

I think it's a conflict between the era of the traditional sports forum and the modern social media world. If a significant portion of mentions and hits for a player's name in search results leads them here, and if the tenor of discussion here can range anywhere from normal fandom to "extremely negative/outright offensive" and the occasional "weird, overly familiar narcissist stan," it's hard to ignore.

This is one of the largest WBB forums on the internet, the second largest for NCAA ball. People are reading what is said here, whether they "should" or not. Other programs don't have to deal with this because they either don't have lots of fans or don't have forums at all.

I wouldn't want this place to become fully sanitized like the Boneyard, but stronger moderation is definitely needed. Football and other men's sports get so many posts (and the players get so much money throughout their careers) that the extra crappy ones are drowned out. Here, and in WBB as a whole, not so much.

You have been here long enough to know this happens all the time ! My favorite was Ivy…,
What a grouch …. And Darth has been in his cave after Justine moved up to #11 rankings and of course the transfer portal hall !

Your suggestion has been prevalent for years now ! And once called out ….. they just get another e-mail address and start right back at demonizing the coaches and recruits! It’s a cycle that keeps on keeping on …,

I agree but one thing I love is that a lot of us are speaking up and ensuring that the support is there no matter what. Both here and on Twitter and that’s why we must continue to amplify those voices and squash the BS when it comes. We gotta understand that tbh this is probably one of the top 3 most active messages boards around when it comes to WCBB and that’s not just Lady Vol fandom. Which does indeed mean we have people here who are semi-fans of the LVs while being full time fans of other teams. We also have some fans who just aren’t the best people lol that’s life but let’s continue to make our hood and positive energy outweigh the negative. On Twitter we for sure have much more positivity than we do here… which is intriguing.

Well, just in case they do!
Aalyah, Madison and S’mya, we would be thrilled and proud if you would become part of the Lady Vols family! We confidently proclaim that no one in women’s basketball has a better fan base! We will be supportive and loyal through out your career at UT and beyond! Let’s do this!!

All good questions….. agile ? Hard to say because she spends some time on the floor! This is because the munchkins get up under and try to push her around when they are not bumping into her and flopping like she ran over them ! I did see her intersept a pass and dribble the full length of the court and make a lay up at full speed !!!! She is offensively better than TK . JMO. Defensively she does not have the ability that TK has to block shots . I think she will be one of our pros from UT ! (IF) 🙏

Thank you so much for this! I think if she comes coach Joy will have her ready to lead us in the post and luckily she’ll have 3 years of Justine opening up the one for her and 2 years of Hollingshead/Puckett/Striplin to play alongside to get her ready to take over and with all of them being mobile, going against them in practice should answer the mobility questions or at least help her with angles to offset any liability in that area.

Reactions: PRG
On the 17th I noticed things pointing south. (A poster on here followed me this time through the whole journey)...Angelica started to grow distant.

I gave hints of this

and this is what I did in open forum. I did more in closed forum. We lost this one. Maybe someday my source will trust me enough to say how or why.

But no, I didn't disappear. Everyone who is anyone on this site knows I am not intimidated bc of my lack of successes. Remember Moe? I thought we had her too and based on my source we were in it right up to the day. But she chose another school.

This one, nope, I felt it on the 17th and let my "rider" know we were losing her. Something changed in that timeframe.
It’s pretty obvious your source knows as little as you!

Ordinarily, getting shut out on high school recruiting would be a big deal. But these aren't ordinary recruiting times and I think everyone, Kellie included is more or less making it up as they go along and doing the best they can in each changing situation. Nothing is settled anymore. Also, I can't be too upset at the woman who landed Rickea Jackson away from Vic and Kim just a few months ago.
2nd paragraph is exactly how i feel. We have now seen 3 recruits visit us a ten fold and go else where the following week. Johnson (UVA) , Booker *Still Awaiting* , Velez (LSU)
With the portal, it's like ranked choice voting in elections. Coming in a close second is not all bad anymore. Like Hollingshead, for example, who I believe may turn out as important a get as RJ. So the interest shown and relationships built during multi-visits may not be for nothing anymore.
Thanks I guess my question was will Velez play quicker at LSU than UT?
I think that's alot of the "problem" w getting high school recruits right now. The LV roster is loaded. There are 4 or 5 players who played alot last year who will play far less this season. A couple won't play much at all. PG in particular is covered. Recruit to that position next year.
Well that's depressing. And amazing. It's so incredibly silly and petty to think a high profile D1 prospect made their decision in any part based on what gets said here. The ones I've known would be embarrassed at the notion, and would have known from the time they entered high profile AAU that they would get dissected by ill-informed sideline critics and long ago learned to take it for what its worth - absolutely nothing. Is it just uber helicopter parenting? Could they possibly think their child could play D1 ball and not get analyzed and criticized by fans?

It's a forum for fan opinion. Don't fish for insults then get mad because you caught some.

expected
she would have done the same with Coach K pics if it was TN
I look ofr a future transfer portal on this one,,,JMO

Reactions: sisaq
Each recruit will look at this differently just as people do on this board. However, I imagine we are forgetting one important part of the equation here- their parents. The parents of our current players are ALL wonderful, kind people. You can't tell me they wouldn't be having conversations about this coach issue with all of the negative press surrounding her lack of support for players. Any responsible parent would certainly be talking about the issue with their children as they make decisions.

Reactions: Lucy
How has 2023 Lady Vol recruiting been relegated to a discussion/argument about support or lack of support for a former player by her former coach? Maybe all this should be moved o a political forum. This back and forth has nothing to do with Lady Vol recruiting other than casting aspersions on an opposing coach. Was the former player wrong—yes,was the sentence too harsh—absolutely,but discussion does not belong on any Lady Vol forum.
Clean up in progress.

Just deleted a few posts to hopefully steer this back to recruiting. Mulkey's "no comment" is probably relevant to recruiting due to the possible impact it could have on prospects seeing it. But, please keep any back and forth about the BG situation itself out of this thread. - Thanks

I just hit post on one when you posted this so please feel free to delete it. I wasn't trying to reopen anything, we were just posting at about the same time.

VN Store

Back