2023 Lineup Projection

NighthawkVol

Now that we’re through the draft and know what the roster will look like, I thought I’d post a lineup and rotation. Some of this is projection (like starting Backus and Stanwich in the OF). The biggest unknown is the bullpen. A lot of new names will be expected to contribute, but I don’t know which ones will and won’t. So I’ve listed most of them below. Obviously, those names will be pared down (the ones who are regulars, I mean) by the start of the season.

Lineup

C: Jared Dickey/Charlie Taylor
1B: Blake Burke/Kavares Tears
2B: Christian Moore/Logan Chambers
SS: Maui Ahuna/Angus Pence/Austin Jaslove
3B: Zane Denton/Ethan Payne
LF: Griffin Merritt/Kavares Tears/Hunter Ensley
CF: Kyle Booker/Reese Chapman/Christian Scott
RF: Colby Backus/Alex Stanwich/Dylan Dreiling
DH: Logan Chambers/Kavares Tears

Weekend Starters

Chase Dollander-RHP
Chase Burns-RHP
Drew Beam-RHP

Midweek Starter

Zander Sechrist-LHP

Bullpen

Camden Sewell-RHP
Wyatt Evans-LHP
Andrew Lindsey-RHP
Zach Joyce-RHP
Hollis Fanning-RHP
Jake Fitzgibbons-LHP
Hunter Sloop-RHP
Dillon Orr-RHP
Bryce Jenkins-RHP
Aaron Combs-RHP
Jacob Bimbi-LHP
Turner Swistak-RHP

Closers

Kirby Connell-LHP
Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Last edited:
Now that we’re through the draft and know what the roster will look like, I thought I’d post a lineup and rotation. Some of this is projection (like starting Backus and Stanwich in the OF). The biggest unknown is the bullpen. A lot of new names will be expected to contribute, but I don’t know which ones will and won’t. So I’ve listed most of them below. Obviously, those names will be pared down (the ones who are regulars, I mean) by the start of the season.

Lineup

SS: Maui Ahuna/Austin Jaslove
LF: Colby Backus/Christian Scott
CF: Kyle Booker/Reese Chapman
RF: Alex Stanwich/Dylan Dreiling

Weekend Starters

Chase Dollander-RHP
Chase Burns-RHP
Drew Beam-RHP

Midweek Starter

Zander Sechrist-LHP

Bullpen

Wyatt Evans-LHP
Caden Marcum-RHP
Hunter Sloop-RHP
Dillon Orr-RHP
Zach Joyce-RHP
Hollis Fanning-RHP
Ethan Smith-RHP
Jake Fitzgibbons-LHP
Bryce Jenkins-RHP
Aaron Combs-RHP
Jacob Bimbi-LHP
Turner Swistak-RHP

Closers

Kirby Connell-LHP
Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Good job, Greg. Thanks for this thoughtful write-up and giving us a good starting point. My initial reaction is that there are position players I haven't heard of and I'll need to research them. Also. Chambers and Tears are both LH hitters at DH, I would think we would want a rightie, too. And the whole thing with catcher seems unsettled to me. Personally, I'd rather Charlie start and Jared be backup, because if Jared catches he won't be the best hitter he can be, and he won't be as good a defensive catcher as Charlie. There would be a hole in the lineup with Charlie, but I think this bunch could cover him, and Dickey's increased bat production would at least partially compensate. It is imperative that we have a strong defensive catcher, IMO.

Lineup

SS: Maui Ahuna/Austin Jaslove
LF: Colby Backus/Christian Scott
CF: Kyle Booker/Reese Chapman
RF: Alex Stanwich/Dylan Dreiling

Weekend Starters

Chase Dollander-RHP
Chase Burns-RHP
Drew Beam-RHP

Midweek Starter

Zander Sechrist-LHP

Bullpen

Wyatt Evans-LHP
Caden Marcum-RHP
Hunter Sloop-RHP
Dillon Orr-RHP
Zach Joyce-RHP
Hollis Fanning-RHP
Ethan Smith-RHP
Jake Fitzgibbons-LHP
Bryce Jenkins-RHP
Aaron Combs-RHP
Jacob Bimbi-LHP
Turner Swistak-RHP

Closers

Kirby Connell-LHP
Seth Halvorsen-RHP
I’m pretty sure the transfer catcher is coming to start, not sit third.
Nevermind, just saw he opted out to sign with KC. That’s a blow. Geez, undrafted too. Kid could have really improved his stock.

Last edited:
If Tennessee lands Connor Hujsak from VCU and/or Griffin Merritt from Cincinnati, I'd project Merritt starting in LF and Backus moving to RF to start. Hujsak would be interesting. Could compete for the starting job at 2B, but Moore has to start somewhere. DH, maybe? 1B, with Burke at DH? Does he beat out Backus for an OF spot? Or maybe Hujsak is a backup. He'd be an awfully good backup.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If Tennessee lands Connor Hujsak from VCU and/or Griffin Merritt from Cincinnati, I'd project Merritt starting in LF and Backus moving to RF to start. Hujsak would be interesting. Could compete for the starting job at 2B, but Moore has to start somewhere. DH, maybe? 1B, with Burke at DH? Does he beat out Backus for an OF spot? Or maybe Hujsak is a backup. He'd be an awfully good backup.

I see on Twitter that Hujsak committed to Mississippi State.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
My updated lineup projection based on today’s new information.

SS Maui Ahuna
LF Griffin Merrit
C Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
3B Zane Denton
2B Christian Moore
DH Kavares Tears/Logan Chambers
RF Colby Backus
CF Kyle Booker

I’m a little hazy on how the first 4 batters will go and in what order. That’s 3 lefties in your first 4, which I doubt we do. But, I think we’ll want speed in the Leadoff Position. And, then, hard to put Dickey anywhere but 3rd or 4th.

My updated lineup projection based on today’s new information.

SS Maui Ahuna
LF Griffin Merrit
C Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
3B Zane Denton
2B Christian Moore
DH Kavares Tears/Logan Chambers
RF Colby Backus
CF Kyle Booker

I’m a little hazy on how the first 4 batters will go and in what order. That’s 3 lefties in your first 4, which I doubt we do. But, I think we’ll want speed in the Leadoff Position. And, then, hard to put Dickey anywhere but 3rd or 4th.

I'd probably go:
SS Maui L
2B Moore R
C Dickey L
LF Merritt R
1B Burke L
3B Denton S
DH Tears/Chambers L
RF Backus R
CF Booker L

Going to be a pretty lefty dominant lineup no matter what. I like Moore in the 2 hole with his OBP skills. TV liked putting Luc there to get on base for the 3 and 4 hitters. It also extends your lineup a bit. But yea the addition of Merritt solidifies our projections a little more.

Reactions: Ryno14
I think from past experience that there will be at least 2 freshman in the battles for positions. I don't think it will be all returnees and transfers. I believe that TV is too good of a recruiter not to bring in at least 2 freshman that will play the field somewhere. Don't know who but I believe there will be some.

I think from past experience that there will be at least 2 freshman in the battles for positions. I don't think it will be all returnees and transfers. I believe that TV is too good of a recruiter not to bring in at least 2 freshman that will play the field somewhere. Don't know who but I believe there will be some.

I think you could be right, but we didn’t play any freshmen in the field this past year unless you count Dickey, but he was a redshirt. Burke was DH so you might get some Freshmen to DH a few games here or there, but as of August 1st I think we’ll be pretty heavy on the returnees and transfers.

The only position that gives me pause would be CF. Booker has a lot of talent, but I am still not sold that he will 100% put it together. You could see a standout freshmen snag an OF spot if Booker and Scott don’t perform.

I think the infield is going to be pretty returner heavy. No one is beating out Ahuna or Denton. Those guys game here to play. Moore isn’t just going to DH. I would say the most vulnerable spot is 1B if Burke’s defense isn’t up to snuff.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back