2023 Expectations

Voldog1998

What should we expect in the 2023 season? What are your expectations? I’m predicting a 9-3 season and 5-3 in the SEC we win our bowl game to finish with 10 wins. Back to back seasons of 10 plus wins for the first time since 2003-2004 seasons would be really big and show people that we are back and here to stay relevant and a top 10 team yearly. I think we win the SEC in 2024 and make the playoff

What should we expect in the 2023 season? What are your expectations? I’m predicting a 9-3 season and 5-3 in the SEC we win our bowl game to finish with 10 wins. Back to back seasons of 10 plus wins for the first time since 2003-2004 seasons would be really big and show people that we are back and here to stay relevant and a top 10 team yearly. I think we win the SEC in 2024 and make the playoff

I could see your scenario playing out in the 2023 season. However, I don't see us winning the SEC and making the playoffs in 2024. Nico will likely be a first-year starter that season. I think 2025 is our season.

I think this upcoming team can win 10 or 11 regular season. Offense will be so explosive and defense will have it's best year in Huep era. Defensive line and pass rush is very deep this year. I like our non conference schedule to. We will whoop Virginia

I don’t have a prediction/expectation of how we will do. I’ll just watch the games and see how it plays out. You may be right about our record.

But brother, I have to ask —- on what planet is 5-3 in conference a success or show people we are back? For the last 20 years, 5-3 means we lose to our biggest rivals Bama, Georgia, and Florida. Florida is such a dumpster fire right now that maybe that means USCe, KY , A&M or Vandy. How is that success?

And our non-conference slate looks like Dooley scheduled it it’s so easy. No football fan or pollster or media person is going to give UT credit for beating UVA in Nashville or San Antonio, or UConn.

If you want to compete for championships, 10 wins is not a success, ever.

I don’t have a prediction/expectation of how we will do. I’ll just watch the games and see how it plays out. You may be right about our record.

But brother, I have to ask —- on what planet is 5-3 in conference a success or show people we are back? For the last 20 years, 5-3 means we lose to our biggest rivals Bama, Georgia, and Florida. Florida is such a dumpster fire right now that maybe that means USCe, KY , A&M or Vandy. How is that success?

And our non-conference slate looks like Dooley scheduled it it’s so easy. No football fan or pollster or media person is going to give UT credit for beating UVA in Nashville or San Antonio, or UConn.

When you play 5 or more ranked opponents in conference play, there’s no need to play a difficult non conference schedule to score extra points with the polls.
In terms of whether 10 wins is good enough or not, I’d say 10 wins in the regular season puts you in a good position especially with the expanded playoff in 2024. Any P5 team that went 10-2 this past year would have made a 12 team playoff.

Reactions: pricevol5
I think we take a step back from a talent perspective but I think with our schedule a 9 win season is possible. I do think that something no one is talking about to keep an eye on is offensive line play. It's clear that Wright exceeded expectations and you can't discount Carvin's experience. I'll be curious to see how next year's o-line will do without them because I haven't been too impressed with our o-line recruiting in the past few years.

I'm not ready to put a floor or ceiling on what the 2023 team can be. It depends on Milton's progress and Banks getting the defense to play like a top 25 unit. If those things happen, 10-2 or even 11-1 are not out of the question, but without one or both of those things we're looking at 9-3, 8-4. Too many variables right now to make any kind of definite prediction.

I believe that 2024 and especially 2025 are when we will be primed to make some serious noise.

I think we beat Florida, South Carolina, Mizzou , Kentucky, and Vandy and lose to A&M, Bama and Georgia in SEC play and we beat Virginia.

I think this upcoming team can win 10 or 11 regular season. Offense will be so explosive and defense will have it's best year in Huep era. Defensive line and pass rush is very deep this year. I like our non conference schedule to. We will whoop Virginia

Agreed. People are underestimating us. The Dline and rush defense was a marked improvement over 2021 and really solid. Another year of growth and we are going to be scary for other teams.

Also, we have a bunch of young talent in the secondary now (which creates competition) and our returning guys are healthy. A lot of them missed out on spring practice last year, so it was literally the least practiced part of the team. Having a healthy and full secondary room at the start of the year is going to lead to some growth. Even if we get 10% better there it will make a huge difference in combination with the stacked run defense.

Anyway, I don't think the offense will fall off as much as many expect. This team could very well win 10 to 11 games this year. I do think the floor is 8, but even if we lose 4 or 5, this team will be competitive. Which is really what makes me happy. Just going in knowing we have the possibility of winning any game is a something I haven't felt in a long time. It is great to not just write off games like Bama as an automatic loss.

For what it's worth, UTSA is really really good.

8-4

I'm still very trepidatious about Milton. I'm not ready to believe he is "fixed" well enough to lead this team through 12 games and be a difference maker.

15-0 is not out of the realm of possibility. Joe has the potential for a solid year, as does the running back room. They really only need to average 40ish ppg.

Bama and Georgia need a new Qb to step up too, and it looks like neither starter is going to have much experience. Both those games could be close.

USCjr comes to Neyland. If they can’t get up for that game then I question why they are playing football. aTm is smoldering and could easily turn into a full blown dumpster fire.

Other than those games we have a chance to run the table, especially if they can shore up the D.

8-4 is the floor.

I could see your scenario playing out in the 2023 season. However, I don't see us winning the SEC and making the playoffs in 2024. Nico will likely be a first-year starter that season. I think 2025 is our season.

I expect you are correct until the last sentence. "Wishing" for any season to be "our season" is to much heart and not enough hard thought making the prediction.

I expect you are correct until the last sentence. "Wishing" for any season to be "our season" is to much heart and not enough hard thought making the prediction.
Sure…except I didn’t say “I wish”. I said “I think“. You have no idea what I considered and what I didn’t consider. I “wish” every season was our season.

VN Store

Back