2022 Recruits

innuendo and slander without a fact to back it up. This is really a shameful post.

I'm pretty sure Shea knows ADR because there was a time when she was high on UConn's radar. But in order to intimate that Shea is being underhanded in anyway just means you don't know a thing about her. It also questions the integrity of the two players, their families and the coaches and staff of the Webb school. What do you think the players and families will think of UT if they get wind of fan posts intimating they are involved in crooked shenanigans? You don't just blindly throw a rock because you don't know how many people you hurt.
I believe Tyree is a fan of another school, possibly Georgia or SC.

Yeah, I would say that if that was the recruiting class for South Carolina their fans would be unhappy. You can pump up these players all you want, but to get back to where Tennessee should be, you have to recruit a totally different type of player. There are no Aliyah Boston’s wanting to come here. Ziyah Cooke didn’t want to come here…she at least considered us, but wanted to compete for a championship. What recruit have we gone up against a heavyweight program for and got the commitment since Kellie got here? Whatever she is doing…do something else. Tell everyone who you want or something. This secretive strategy isn’t helping at all. We can’t even get any big names to come here in the portal. What Power 5 players are wanting to transfer in here?

I do get that on this board, we are supposed to just be happy all the time and not be “negative”. I’m calling it as I see it. If I was a fan of another team looking in on our program I wouldn’t be worried. We aren’t bringing in any stars and our fans are content with being marginal. We are the most storied program in all of Women’s Basketball! It’s laughable that we ever got to this point and we should have higher standards for our program.

What recruit have we gone up against a heavyweight program for and got the commitment since Kellie got here?

For one:

Puckett’s offer list exceeded two dozen schools and included nearly every school in the SEC, along with Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Louisville, Nebraska, North Carolina, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Old Dominion, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, South Florida, Texas, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin. She reportedly was able to trim the list to three in May – Florida State, Georgia and Tennessee – but Puckett kept her recruitment low-key and rarely spoke publicly about the process.

For two:

Striplin, who made three unofficial visits to Knoxville in December and January, chose the Lady Vol from a long list of schools that had been recruiting her, including Auburn, Florida, Missouri, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt in the SEC, along with N.C. State, Oregon, Penn State and UCLA.

For three:

Wynn, a five-star player, is ranked No. 23 in the country and No. 9 at her position. She is athletic, strong, coachable, relentless and aggressive on the court and checks every box in terms of personality, character and academics off the court. She was recruited by teams across the country, including Louisville, Kentucky, N.C. State, Arizona State, Miami, Alabama and Penn State, among others.

Last edited:
For me, I am somewhere in the middle about Kelly. I do think with so many big recruits fleeing UT towards the end of Holly's tenure, it was going to take some time to get momentum going in the other direction. That said, I was sorely disappointed that we have come up with only one recruit for 2022 even if she is a potentially great one. I do think the final jury is out but she definitely needs at least a top 10 recruiting class next year or I'm afraid that things will start going downhill rather than keep improving. I do think she can coach, but you need players to win championships.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
For me, I am somewhere in the middle about Kelly. I do think with so many big recruits fleeing UT towards the end of Holly's tenure, it was going to take some time to get momentum going in the other direction. That said, I was sorely disappointed that we have come up with only one recruit for 2022 even if she is a potentially great one. I do think the final jury is out but she definitely needs at least a top 10 recruiting class next year or I'm afraid that things will start going downhill rather than keep improving. I do think she can coach, but you need players to win championships.
I agree somewhat with your comments. However, I disagree with you about the current momentum of the LVs program. Momentum is now, in my view, progressing in the right direction. Your comment--that if the LVs do not get a top 10 recruiting class next year things will start going downhill--dismisses the incoming Class of 2021 that will have an impact on the direction of the program this year and going forward for the next four years. In my opinion, the incoming class, while not a top 10 class, is the foundation that will help to keep the momentum moving in the right direction. Winning begets winning and, of course, helps with solid, sustained recruiting--even top 10 classes. Do not sleep on the incoming Class of 2021.

Yeah, I would say that if that was the recruiting class for South Carolina their fans would be unhappy. You can pump up these players all you want, but to get back to where Tennessee should be, you have to recruit a totally different type of player. There are no Aliyah Boston’s wanting to come here. Ziyah Cooke didn’t want to come here…she at least considered us, but wanted to compete for a championship. What recruit have we gone up against a heavyweight program for and got the commitment since Kellie got here? Whatever she is doing…do something else. Tell everyone who you want or something. This secretive strategy isn’t helping at all. We can’t even get any big names to come here in the portal. What Power 5 players are wanting to transfer in here?

I do get that on this board, we are supposed to just be happy all the time and not be “negative”. I’m calling it as I see it. If I was a fan of another team looking in on our program I wouldn’t be worried. We aren’t bringing in any stars and our fans are content with being marginal. We are the most storied program in all of Women’s Basketball! It’s laughable that we ever got to this point and we should have higher standards for our program.
If you remember right, we were marginal with the quote-unquote "Stars" for a couple of years. With what South Carolina had in their lineup last year they should have never lost the SEC last year and on Paper should have won a national championship. How many number 1-10 ranked players did we have since 2013? Enough we should have won a title and yet we fell out of the top 25 at one point. I still think South Carolina has a long way to go to get this team where it wants to be this year and on paper, they should win a national title this year. They have to be able to play together and how much improvement has the 12 returners made in this off-season? How much animosity will be on that team? Everyone Practices hard and will think they deserve minutes and that may not always get them. That can cause friction and if dawn cant control that can sink a team. If South Carolina does not win the SEC this year, it will be one of the biggest failures I have ever seen in women's college basketball. Should be a good season and a lot of good battles in the SEC this year

I agree somewhat with your comments. However, I disagree with you about the current momentum of the LVs program. Momentum is now, in my view, progressing in the right direction. Your comment--that if the LVs do not get a top 10 recruiting class next year things will start going downhill--dismisses the incoming Class of 2021 that will have an impact on the direction of the program this year and going forward for the next four years. In my opinion, the incoming class, while not a top 10 class, is the foundation that will help to keep the momentum moving in the right direction. Winning begets winning and, of course, helps with solid, sustained recruiting--even top 10 classes. Do not sleep on the incoming Class of 2021.

Agree with your post, but one reputable service rated the Lady Vol 2021 recruiting class at #5.

“The Collegiate Girls Basketball Report by Dan Olson ranked the class as No. 5 in the country with South Carolina, Connecticut, Stanford and North Carolina rounding out the top. Olson handled the Hoopgurlz rankings for years before ESPNW went with Premier Basketball over the summer.”

Lady Vols ink No. 5 class in the country

I’d say it’s pretty easy to “reel” them in when you’re assistant coach for Jeff Walz. Regardless, if he is hated or loved on here, he is a good coach and ultimately, that’s who they were committing to play for. Samantha Williams may be a great recruiter, but if the players aren’t feeling Kellie, then it won’t matter who her assistants are! Go get Chris Daley and Geno will still get the same great players because they aren’t going to UCONN to play for Chris Daley. Crazy how much better Jolette Law recruits at USC….The whole assistant coach thing is blown out of proportion. At the end of the day, Kellie will be the one calling the shots and she doesn’t seem to appeal to these players. Say all you want about how it was too late in the process in 2022 to get recruits once the new assistants came, but Kellie’s been there the whole time.

Cue the responses telling me how I don’t understand recruiting and we are going to sign so many players next year…..
How did they recruit when they first started the Job? How has Jeff Waltz recruited in the last two years? He is not reeling them in now. Why do you keep up this thing about recruiting we get it you don't like Harper and your not going to give her any credit for any player she recruits. You tend to ignore the players she has recruited so I will ignore you. You think she can't recruit well I think you can't post you are a terrible poster weak the same garbage in every post. Looks like you've made 69 posts and they have all been the same. So why keep it up Coach Harper has a four year contract and just got an extension so you got four years to keep posting your weekly or monthly same post maybe you'll eventually get tired of posting it but I doubt it.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is having trouble understanding what you are saying. You have, after all, repeated your position three times. I think a lot of us believe, while a top ten 2023 class would be wonderful, there are other markers which might be reached that could nullify the dreaded line in the sand for say a 2023 class ranked 12th.
Posters keep posting to what I said so I post an answer. You can believe what you want to maybe you got that out of the post and answers I gave to post. I would like to know what the other markers are with seven returning players that you think will keep us at the top of the SEC that would be information I would like to have. How do you think she is going to fill the gaps of graduated players in 2023? Transfers or recruits only two ways to get them and she has to do one or the other. Second evidently some are having problems understanding or they would ignore the post and move on.

innuendo and slander without a fact to back it up. This is really a shameful post.

I'm pretty sure Shea knows ADR because there was a time when she was high on UConn's radar. But in order to intimate that Shea is being underhanded in anyway just means you don't know a thing about her. It also questions the integrity of the two players, their families and the coaches and staff of the Webb school. What do you think the players and families will think of UT if they get wind of fan posts intimating they are involved in crooked shenanigans? You don't just blindly throw a rock because you don't know how many people you hurt.
First he is a Georgia poster that usually has great information. Second you can't say he is slandering anyone until we see what becomes of these players move close to Nashville from New Jersey. One or the other of you will be correct if they end up at Vandy which one do you think that will be? If they don't then you certainly have a case for false information.

How did they recruit when they first started the Job? How has Jeff Waltz recruited in the last two years? He is not reeling them in now. Why do you keep up this thing about recruiting we get it you don't like Harper and your not going to give her any credit for any player she recruits. You tend to ignore the players she has recruited so I will ignore you. You think she can't recruit well I think you can't post you are a terrible poster weak the same garbage in every post. Looks like you've made 69 posts and they have all been the same. So why keep it up Coach Harper has a four year contract and just got an extension so you got four years to keep posting your weekly or monthly same post maybe you'll eventually get tired of posting it but I doubt it.

I like Kellie. I just am not going to make excuses for the poor recruiting. She seems to be a good coach. I just think we should be recruiting better than this and everyone keeps blaming it on assistant coaches. The buck stops at the head coach.

Reactions: lfvol and mcannon1
I like Kellie. I just am not going to make excuses for the poor recruiting. She seems to be a good coach. I just think we should be recruiting better than this and everyone keeps blaming it on assistant coaches. The buck stops at the head coach.
How you know whether it is poor or not since none of this years freshmen have played of minute of basketball? What makes you think none of the freshmen can't play three of them were over 2000 point scorers in high school and one almost scored 3000. You think Dye is a bad player she lit up Texas A&M in that NCAA game last year. Were picked second in SEC so someone thinks were headed in the right direction we'll see how it plays out this season.

POST 5264 if it hasn't been said many hundreds of times on all possible issues pro and con on recruitment 2022 I would challenge you to bring it forth. Otherwise I believe this thread has now become more than redundant.

Reactions: Volfan2012
If you remember right, we were marginal with the quote-unquote "Stars" for a couple of years. With what South Carolina had in their lineup last year they should have never lost the SEC last year and on Paper should have won a national championship. How many number 1-10 ranked players did we have since 2013? Enough we should have won a title and yet we fell out of the top 25 at one point. I still think South Carolina has a long way to go to get this team where it wants to be this year and on paper, they should win a national title this year. They have to be able to play together and how much improvement has the 12 returners made in this off-season? How much animosity will be on that team? Everyone Practices hard and will think they deserve minutes and that may not always get them. That can cause friction and if dawn cant control that can sink a team. If South Carolina does not win the SEC this year, it will be one of the biggest failures I have ever seen in women's college basketball. Should be a good season and a lot of good battles in the SEC this year

SC is fine and no they don’t have any egos or animosity with one another those women are a sisterhood lol nice try though. SC was younger last year, the sophomores and juniors had to grow up without the senior leadership. Experiencing a FF is something that will push them even harder this season. Yes I think each and everyone of them grew this off season, even the freshman getting to practice and play with the returners. Boston played in the Americup and also lost 23 lbs(!!), Amihere also played in the Americup as well as the Olympics, Henderson played in the Americup, Cooke trained with NBA players and NBA trainers, Beal also trained with NBA trainers and Lethal Shooter to work on her jumper, as well as Saxton who worked on her mid range. These women are hungry idk why folks think just their players are going to get better and their rivals won’t?😂😂 it’s beyond me but yeah I have no fear of the SEC this year. I may be proven wrong but the only two teams I see that could possibly challenge SC is Tenn and Georgia and I think we pretty much will beat UT at home so that leaves Georgia in Athens but that will be a neutral crowd since the FAMS always travel. Can’t wait to see how it plays out!

Reactions: Dak1219
SC is fine and no they don’t have any egos or animosity with one another those women are a sisterhood lol nice try though. SC was younger last year, the sophomores and juniors had to grow up without the senior leadership. Experiencing a FF is something that will push them even harder this season. Yes I think each and everyone of them grew this off season, even the freshman getting to practice and play with the returners. Boston played in the Americup and also lost 23 lbs(!!), Amihere also played in the Americup as well as the Olympics, Henderson played in the Americup, Cooke trained with NBA players and NBA trainers, Beal also trained with NBA trainers and Lethal Shooter to work on her jumper, as well as Saxton who worked on her mid range. These women are hungry idk why folks think just their players are going to get better and their rivals won’t?😂😂 it’s beyond me but yeah I have no fear of the SEC this year. I may be proven wrong but the only two teams I see that could possibly challenge SC is Tenn and Georgia and I think we pretty much will beat UT at home so that leaves Georgia in Athens but that will be a neutral crowd since the FAMS always travel. Can’t wait to see how it plays out!

Didn't you pretty much say you would go undefeated last year ? I love how you ride for your team i'll just never say never.

As much as you come on our board you might as well switch your colors to orange and LV blue 😂

I do believe the SEC will be tough and prepare each team for post season play. And Dawn.. well... she knows how to get it done it seems 🍿

Didn't you pretty much say you would go undefeated last year ? I love how you ride for your team i'll just never say never.

As much as you come on our board you might as well switch your colors to orange and LV blue 😂

I do believe the SEC will be tough and prepare each team for post season play. And Dawn.. well... she knows how to get it done it seems 🍿

yes and I will stand by my prediction lol I will gladly eat crow if we don’t too 😂

Honesty and integrity is lost in college recruiting from coaches and families, not in all cases but those few outside the norm you can question. You can either believe in coincidences or you can believe in tampering when it comes to situations like this. In regards to the school, they've made an investment in school sports the last few years mainly in basketball both boys and girls.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I’d say it’s pretty easy to “reel” them in when you’re assistant coach for Jeff Walz. Regardless, if he is hated or loved on here, he is a good coach and ultimately, that’s who they were committing to play for. Samantha Williams may be a great recruiter, but if the players aren’t feeling Kellie, then it won’t matter who her assistants are! Go get Chris Daley and Geno will still get the same great players because they aren’t going to UCONN to play for Chris Daley. Crazy how much better Jolette Law recruits at USC….The whole assistant coach thing is blown out of proportion. At the end of the day, Kellie will be the one calling the shots and she doesn’t seem to appeal to these players. Say all you want about how it was too late in the process in 2022 to get recruits once the new assistants came, but Kellie’s been there the whole time.

Cue the responses telling me how I don’t understand recruiting and we are going to sign so many players next year…..

it won’t matter who her assistants are, Hate to bring her up but Holly was a bad coach and i`m pretty sure players did not flock to TN because of Her with respect. So let`s give credit where credit is due Sharrona Reaves was an outstanding recruiting coordinator it is what it is.

it won’t matter who her assistants are, Hate to bring her up but Holly was a bad coach and i`m pretty sure players did not flock to TN because of Her with respect. So let`s give credit where credit is due Sharrona Reaves was an outstanding recruiting coordinator it is what it is.
Ehhh! You don’t come to play for the assistant coaches at the end of the day, the end all, be all is the head coach. They’re the closers.

Valid points, maybe not the warm fuzzy response but when things were rolling here Mickie and Holly were on the recruiting trail and Pat closed it by name or personal relationship. It does seem Kellie is trying to hold onto the old school recruiting traditions while trying to appeal with todays social media world. In doing that she does not seem comfortable in pictures with recruits, it almost comes across as fabricated. You have to play the game in recruiting maybe that is the connection missing is "feeling it"

VN Store

Back